Scuttles

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Scuttles

Post by Racso_MS »

Wanting to buy a Scuttle for me and my Son-In-Law. I've been debating this for some time and can't decide. Julie (Dirty Bird Pottery) makes a Shaving Scuttle (I'm assuming for those who build lather in a bowl), a Brush Scuttle (for those who face lather), a Soap Bowl (that is supposed to stack below or above the Brush Scuttle), and a Shaving Mug.

I guess my question is which one to purchase. Can't you use the Shaving Scuttle if you face lather, and I understand you will probably need a Shaving Mug or Soap Bowl if you build your lather in a mug but don't care if it stays warm. And if you do, do you purchase the Brush Scuttle.

I guess I'm just sort of confused.

Those of you who use a Dirty Bird lend me a hand here.

Heres the site: http://www.dirtybirdpottery.com/shavinggear.html

Thanks.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

I've used the Moss Scuttle for several years, and I both face lather and bowl lather also upon occasion. If I have a hard soap in a mug, I may work up some lather in the mug, but if I want to keep it warm I will finish up in the scuttle. I can't see having a bunch of different scuttles and mugs on the counter when one does it all.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

R_o

no comment from me other than to say nice to see you out and about!!

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I alternate Moss and Becker scuttles, and they both do a great job for me for either face or bowl lathering, keeping the brush and/or lather warm; and I have no need for any other mug, cup, or bowl, although I have display Old Spice and Burma Shave mugs just for sentimental reasons.
_______
John
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

Although I would not characterize it as a scuttle, I use the Dirty Bird 1.5X size. Due to its size, it's more like a "heated lathering bowl." I use it to build lather....from both hard soaps and creams. In between passes, it keeps the lather and brush nice and toasty. I lean toward larger brushes, so the larger size of the DB 1.5 works out well for me. Scuttles and their uses are another area of personal preference, and I'm sure you'll find a variety of different opinions on the subject.
Lynn
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

I'm strictly an on-the-face latherer and use only creams. For the past four years I've been using a small Moss scuttle and find it to be excellent at keeping the lather on my brush warm between passes. There is also a large Moss scuttle, which I think can be used for lathering; the small one is too small for that.
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

I used a small Moss scuttle for quite a while. It is not large enough for bowl lathering, but it is large enough to begin a proto-lather. I used to load my brush with cream in a small Moss scuttle and then take the brush to my face, so for face-lathering soaps or creams and keeping the lather warm, it works.

I understand the brush scuttle is just to keep a brush warm and will not allow starting or building lather. The lather bowl and/or mug from DB can be used independently or to build lather that is then kept warm in the brush/brush scuttle.

So, for one-piece solutions and bowl lathering, large Moss or DB 1.5 or Georgetown scuttle.

For face lathering, options multiply infinitely.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

woodsrider wrote:Although I would not characterize it as a scuttle, I use the Dirty Bird 1.5X size. Due to its size, it's more like a "heated lathering bowl." I use it to build lather....from both hard soaps and creams. In between passes, it keeps the lather and brush nice and toasty. I lean toward larger brushes, so the larger size of the DB 1.5 works out well for me. Scuttles and their uses are another area of personal preference, and I'm sure you'll find a variety of different opinions on the subject.
Lynn,

I, too, have a DB 1.5X size. Your "heated lathering bowl" is a good description. This is one big scuttle. I am thinking of putting mine on S&T. I have a smaller Steve Woodhead scuttle and am enjoying it. The DB is bigger than I am comfortable with. Don't get me wrong...a great scuttle, just big.

Like you said, personal preference and a variety of opinions. Recommend anyone looking for a scuttle to look around. Brands that come to mind are Kell, DB, Moss, Becker, Georgetown Pottery.

Ed
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I tried a Robert Becker Scuttle and it just wasn't for me. I simply didn't have room on my bathroom sink to be able to use it properly.
PT

Post by PT »

I am all about the georgetown scuttle. :P
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Another face-latherer here with the Moss.

One very cool thing about Georgetown Pottery -- is that they will custom design a graphic for you for a nominal fee.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brucered

Post by brucered »

Bowl and sometimes face latherer here...

i have a DB1.5, but it's depth is only the depth of the original size...

i bowl lather 90% of the time, as it's just a joy to use, but when i do FACE lather, i just use it as a resting place for my brush and it still keep sit warm between passes, not as much as a brush scuttle, but enough

it holds heat for 4+passess, whipps up a lather storm and is built like a tank.

if you can afford it, the DB is a great purchase.

Image Image
Elephants never forget!
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

personally how water on my face makes me seat more...makes my shaves worse..try an old green coffee mug..large one..might be in your cabinet..problem solved...OR http://ozsoapbox.com/personal/shaving/d ... le-for-20/
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

SmallTank wrote:personally how water on my face makes me seat more...makes my shaves worse..try an old green coffee mug..large one..might be in your cabinet..problem solved...OR http://ozsoapbox.com/personal/shaving/d ... le-for-20/
Very interesting. Thanks for the info.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...