Stubble Quality

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And removed by only the highest grade products.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:And removed by only the highest grade products.
Absolutely. 8)
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Interesting thread about an interesting phenomenon.

I have also noticed a difference in my stubble depending on the blade used.
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Perceptions which are greatly affected by your own personal expectation. A razor blade will not alter anything about the hair besides the length of it & perhaps the shape of the tip according to how it was cut.

"...not only can there be no completely "unbiased, unfiltered" perception, but this means that there is a great deal of feedback between perception and expectation (perceptual experiences often shape our beliefs, but those perceptions were based on existing beliefs)."
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Lou

Post by Lou »

Yes, only at SMF. I too have noticed variation in stubble quality, so I'm glad this has come up.

The original poster isn't saying that the blade changes the structural quality of the hair. He's talking about the quality of the cut at the tip of the hair, and how that might affect the feel and look of the growth. I've noticed the same thing, moreso with the feel of the growth. I saw it most when I used a Norelco. As my beard grew out, it felt like the hairs were hacked, rather than cleanly cut.

I think it's mostly about using the blade that's best for you. The blade that most effortlessly cuts the hair, without requiring either pressure or too light a touch, will give you the most consistent shave and thus the cleanest feel as the stubble grows out.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Since blade shaving I believe I have noticed the darker colored stubble, but I don't notice that the quality of the end as being any different in the finished shave.

I think what we're seeing with the dark hair, if it's real and not imagined, is the difference in albedo between the extremely cleanly cut whiskers as with a blade and quality products vs carts or electric and terrible products.

Too, there is the coriolis effect and global warming that needs to be taken into account here.

But back to reality... I definitely notice the cuts after the first pass when I dampen my face to accept the lather for the second pass. What remains for stubble is definitely sharp edged.

By the time I'm done with the shave however it's all been cut flush or below and is more or less at right angles, or that's my story anyway. When it grows back I notice nothing unusual.

I've posted this pic elsewhere and while it isn't 100% apropos, it does illustrate my point about darker ends. The clean cut will absorb and not reflect as much light, appearing darker.

Quote: "Ah, Squire, too bad it could not be so easy...actually, just means I have to keep trying blades!

Has anyone else who really likes the Astra SPs found something that gives comparable shaves? I have not found anything else yet... "

We definitely have different qualities we look for in blades, but so far I've tested 26 different blades to find only 2 that meet all my specs for blades I'll buy in bulk that I'm really happy with. You should have an easier time finding blades you'll like.

FWIW, I'm currently testing another blade that at this point seems like it'll make it into the short list, and at this time I have another 6 blades to test.

Where I'm going with this is, if you've only tested a handful of blades (I didn't see where you wrote that so that's an assumption on my part), testing a few more isn't out of the question and certainly not unreasonable.

I didn't like the Astrs SPs when I tried them, but Shark SuperChrome had the same things I didn't like about the Astras in their make-up. Maybe they'd be worth a try.
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

ShadowsDad wrote:Since blade shaving I believe I have noticed the darker colored stubble, but I don't notice that the quality of the end as being any different in the finished shave.

I think what we're seeing with the dark hair, if it's real and not imagined, is the difference in albedo between the extremely cleanly cut whiskers as with a blade and quality products vs carts or electric and terrible products.

Too, there is the coriolis effect and global warming that needs to be taken into account here.

But back to reality... I definitely notice the cuts after the first pass when I dampen my face to accept the lather for the second pass. What remains for stubble is definitely sharp edged.

By the time I'm done with the shave however it's all been cut flush or below and is more or less at right angles, or that's my story anyway. When it grows back I notice nothing unusual.

I've posted this pic elsewhere and while it isn't 100% apropos, it does illustrate my point about darker ends. The clean cut will absorb and not reflect as much light, appearing darker.

Quote: "Ah, Squire, too bad it could not be so easy...actually, just means I have to keep trying blades!

Has anyone else who really likes the Astra SPs found something that gives comparable shaves? I have not found anything else yet... "

We definitely have different qualities we look for in blades, but so far I've tested 26 different blades to find only 2 that meet all my specs for blades I'll buy in bulk that I'm really happy with. You should have an easier time finding blades you'll like.

FWIW, I'm currently testing another blade that at this point seems like it'll make it into the short list, and at this time I have another 6 blades to test.

Where I'm going with this is, if you've only tested a handful of blades (I didn't see where you wrote that so that's an assumption on my part), testing a few more isn't out of the question and certainly not unreasonable.

I didn't like the Astrs SPs when I tried them, but Shark SuperChrome had the same things I didn't like about the Astras in their make-up. Maybe they'd be worth a try.
First off, that picture is scary! A poorly cut whisker will definitely have greater surface area as witnessed from the photo. I definitely cannot comment on how that will affect the absorption and reflection/refraction of light. It is an interesting thought, however. I just can't seem to believe that it will make a noticeable difference in appearance to the naked eye. Skin hydration levels, though, could more than likely be the true determinant here.

Oh yeah, and that picture is scary!
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Screen saver!
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

It never stops growing. Stubble is perpetual. That's a good thing! I want and love my stubble, don't really care or haven't thought about it having definitive qualitiesl I just love getting another chance tomorrow to harvest another crop.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Don't be deceived by appearances. The sharply cut whisker will feel different than the fluffy one. The narrative talks about copper wires. So if we imagine two copper wires, one with a sharp point on it, and one with a fuzzy end, which one will more readily pierce our skin. I would suggest the sharp point. To adapt a couple of terms from the brush making industry, we could call the sharp cut whisker "Best", and the one with the flayed tip, we could call it "Silvertip", because it's bound to feel less prickly and more softer. That's my opinion!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

It is interesting you bring up Sharks because for some reason they scare me when I am using them. This blade seems a little rough to me, although it cuts fine, and I do like the "stubble quality" I get from these blades...I like better the Lord Platinums, and I think that these are smoother than the Sharks.

Back in the day, the field of blades used to Merkur, IPs, Derbys, Swedes and Feathers. I actually think that many of the new blades we currently have are better than the old crop.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I suspect there's always been a hierarchy Mike, just as now we have some very good blades and some not.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

brothers wrote:It never stops growing. Stubble is perpetual. That's a good thing! I want and love my stubble, don't really care or haven't thought about it having definitive qualitiesl I just love getting another chance tomorrow to harvest another crop.
+1 \:D/
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?