Razor care between shaves

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not really Neal, my mind is still open to review evidence.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

In todays litigious society it wouldn't surprise me one whit if it was to prevent lawsuits. Or even perform multiple functions with the one statement.

Maybe someone needs to make a safety razor blade, that is one that won't cut and is completely unuseable. Whoops! Sorry, it slipped my mind, one manufacturer already does... Dorco. :lol: Not a crappy blade, just ahead of their time!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Not just our Country SD, I've seen the same information printed in other languages for distribution in various parts of the World.
Regards,
Squire
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

FWIW, I found this on Amazon under product description for Shark blades:

"SHARK SUPER CHROME DOUBLE EDGE RAZOR BLADES deliver a smooth, luxurious and comfortable shave. These premium blades are used barbers and wet shavers alike. Manufactured in an ISO2000 Facility, these blades are world reknown for their high quality. Care should be taken to not wipe this blade dry after use. Instead, simply shake the razor dry to avoid removal of the blade's coating. We are sure you will be thrilled with these blades.. "

Bolded text done by me.
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Certainly Neal but amazon does not constitute an authority. The warning against wiping coated blades also appears on uncoated, stainless, carbon, and blades made of steel of any description.

The point is they don't want you to handle it without saying outright the things can be dangerous.
Regards,
Squire
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Fine. You will not wipe your blade to avoid cuts, I will not wipe my blade to avoid removing the coating. That way we're both happy.

Cheers,
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh I would wipe blades if that were needed to keep them clean but for me rinsing works well enough.
Regards,
Squire
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

I rinse my blades taking care not to touch the edges. I also rinse and crud on the razor top.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

When handling any razor or blade I keep my hands completely dry. Mischances do happen over a period of time, I once dropped a razor when a fully grown Boxer came bounding into the bathroom while I was shaving and smacked into my knee. Delightful child but clumsy.

I do draw the line at gloves though.
Regards,
Squire
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Thank you for the replies, gentlemen.

Regards,
Daniel
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Squire wrote:Now why cannot I shake this mental image of canned air.
Hah! Another use for the myriad of cans of canned air I have sitting around the house. Only Squire could think of uses like this for canned air! :D
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
flip-68

Re:

Post by flip-68 »

CMur12 wrote:Daniel, I don't think you need to do anything else.

I'm a little more extreme in my practices, however. I prefer a three-piece razor because of the ease of cleaning. I take the razor apart after the shave, rinse the pieces well, and dry them with a towel. I rinse the blade off well, air-dry it, hand-strop it, and put everything back together, sparkling clean, for the next shave.

- Murray

i do this too, mostly, - I leave a 3 piece in 3 pieces until the next shave. all part of the ritual for me. :)
ThePossum

Re: Razor care between shaves

Post by ThePossum »

Seems that I am not like most of you. Since I rotate among my many razors for each shave I will always remove the blade from the razor. I then rinse and hand strop the blade along the edge of my hand. Yes, Squire I am aware that one of my 6 attack cats could bump into my knee and cause an injury but I am very very careful.

I do this for my DE and SE razors but can't do it with my injectors. I find that by hand stropping and rinsing that I can get a lot more shaves from my blades. Like 14 from my Gillette SharpEdge SE blades and 7 or so from my PTFE coated GEM SE blades.

It works for me and does not really take that much more time for my shave. But as is often said here at SMF, YMMV!
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
brothers

Re: Razor care between shaves

Post by brothers »

One thing about the Cobra Classic SE is that I can rinse the blade separately from the razor after the shave, then replace it when it's time for the next shave. This is different from I suppose any other injector-type of razor, where the blade is tightly gripped within the head of the razor until the injector forces the blade out when the new one goes in. The design of the old style injectors is somewhat limited in this respect. Also, the small standard injector heads are generally just too little to be taken out, handled, and then put back in. Wouldn't be practical.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444