Help me pick out a gift for my Dad

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Captain Pre-Capsize

Help me pick out a gift for my Dad

Post by Captain Pre-Capsize »

He turns 75 soon. Not anything he NEEDS but what would be a cool thing to get him? For under $100.00. He loves cutting firewood at the farm - that would be his passion I guess. But I don’t want that to influence you, I’d like something unique for him.

Captain’s Choice bay rum aftershave

http://www.captainschoicestore.com/

Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

An electric chainsaw sharpener.
Jim
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

get a woodsplitter ax
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Or a wood splitter itself which is safer than an ax.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'd suggest some nice warm and sturdy steel toe boots. I'm just going by what I'd like, if it were me.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Post by Araner »

Set him up with a VIP massage at Suzy Wong's oriental massage parlor.

That's what I'd want after a day of splitting wood.

It'll be a birthday gift he'll never forget! :D

Mike
Rob

Post by Rob »

Whoa, nellie! Careful now. :D
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

When my dad, who had been a private pilot and loved planes, turned 75, I bought him a ride in a WWII "warbird" fighter trainer, including aerobatics. He absolutely loved it. As I recall, it cost somewhat more than $100, but it was worth every penny of however much I paid.
_______
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good move John, I wish I'd done something like that for my late Uncle who flew Hellcats in WWII.

Mike I copied your suggestion and emailed it to my son. Never can tell.
Regards,
Squire
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

How about a Woodsman's Pal?

Lee Valley Tools sells 'em. In fact, I bet if you browse long enough at Lee Valley, you'll find something that both fits your budget and would be greatly appreciated as well.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

jww wrote:How about a Woodsman's Pal?

Lee Valley Tools sells 'em. In fact, I bet if you browse long enough at Lee Valley, you'll find something that both fits your budget and would be greatly appreciated as well.
Lee Valley also has a steam-engine kit, which I wouldn't mind receiving as a gift. As an alternative to the steam-engine they have 2 Stirling engine kits, which also look interesting. None of them will cut wood, but they look pretty interesting and the sort of toys a man who has everything might enjoy. As Wendell implies, Lee Valley Carries many interesting items. Earlier this week I bought my grandson 2 neat toys at Lee Valley: a steel crane toy and a steel tractor/wagon wind-up toy, both made in the Czech Republic and not in China for a change. Although they are his Xmas present I'm sorely tempted to give them a whirl myself.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I ordered my wife a set of ratcheting clippers from Lee Valley and ended up with a set of hockey puck workbench standoffs for myself and then went back and added three of the digital scales (handy for weighing luggage to avoid the high airline fees) for myself and each of my daughters. You can't look around their catalog or website without finding something you didn't know you needed. I've been a customer for years. Always top quality, too.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

They are headquartered here in Ottawa -- going to their store is a bit like heading into LL Bean. The difference is that it's all distributed from an order desk -- rather than a huge retail outlet environment. Their staff knowledge is second to none. There is nothing these folks don't know about their various products, usage, etc. And there is always at least 2 or 3 resident woodworking experts on the floor at any given point in time as well. Fabulous place -- I remember when they were operating out of what is now a self-storage facility. Oh the days when ......
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
function

Post by function »

jww wrote:How about a Woodsman's Pal?

That looks perfect for the pending zombie apocalypse.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

function wrote:
That looks perfect for the pending zombie apocalypse.
Probably not a good idea for a father's birthday gift, but I'll take this for the zombie apocalypse:

http://www.geekologie.com/2011/07/ultim ... l-shot.php
Regards,
Mike