Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
churchilllafemme

Dr. Livingstone, I presume?

Post by churchilllafemme »

From Smithsonian magazine:

Imagine for a moment that you are Henry Morton Stanley early one morning in 1887, long after his first journey into Africa as a journalist, when he'd become famous by finding the Scottish missionary Dr. Livingstone. You emerge from your tent in the Ituri rain forest in Africa. It's dark. It's been dark for months. Your stomach, long since ruined by parasites, recurrent diseases and massive doses of quinine and other medicines, is in even worse shape than usual. You and your men have been reduced to eating berries, roots, fungi, grubs, caterpillars, ants and slugs - when you're lucky enough to find them. Dozens of people were so crippled - from hunger, disease, injuries and festering sores - that they had to be left behind at a spot in the forest grimly referred to as Starvation Camp. You've taken the healthier ones ahead to look for food, but they've been dropping dead along the way, and there's still no food to be found. But as of this morning, you're still not dead. Now that you've arisen, what do you do?

For Stanley, this was an easy decision: shave. As his wife, Dorothy Tennant, whom he married in 1890, would later recall: "He had often told me that, on his various expeditions, he had made it a rule, always to shave carefully. In the Great Forest, in 'Starvation Camp,' on the mornings of battle, he had never neglected this custom, however great the difficulty." Stanley himself once said, "I always presented as decent an appearance as possible, both for self-discipline and for self-respect."
Last edited by churchilllafemme on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_______
John
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks John!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Standards, once established, must be maintained.
Regards,
Squire
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

i dont shave every day but after reading this maybe i need to reevaluate

clive

no squire, im not going to shave twice a day :lol:
de gustibus non est disputandum
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

There's nothing like a shave every morning and shiny shoes to keep a man's spirits up. My father insisted on both when I was growing up and at boarding school it was no different: a shave every morning when you reached that age and shoe inspection every evening before dinner regardless of age. To this day I follow this regimen regardless of where I am or what the circumstances are.
Last edited by Rufus on Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Interesting.

If I'm too busy in the AM for my blade shave (since once again shaving with a blade) my day simply isn't "right". I like to take the time.

If I ever had to go back to carts' I'm certain I'd revert back to shaving every 3 or 4 days.
Reverend Jim

Post by Reverend Jim »

I don't remember who it was that said. "Shaving is like working, If you don't do it every day you look like a bum."

Some one around here is bound to know.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
Captain Pre-Capsize

Post by Captain Pre-Capsize »

A great story and an inspiration - thanks! As someone who is self-employed I can assure you the past few years have not been easy. It will give me context to keep this story in mind.

Captain’s Choice bay rum aftershave

http://www.captainschoicestore.com/