Personna hospital use blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Mr.Max

Personna hospital use blade

Post by Mr.Max »

I have been using these blades in my vintage gillettes; the super speed variants and adjustables for a few months exclusively now, and what I have found is that on the first shave, they feel a little rough but after that, they settle in and give a nice smooth shave. I get about 5 or so shaves out of them. If I push it to more than that, I tend to get nicked. These blades are real sharp too, right up there with feather for me. Anyone else have similar experience with these?
~Matt
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Yup, exactly what you wrote... they get better with a little use on 'em for me as well, except I get 7 shaves and then I can 'em. I have no idea how many shaves I can actually get from one. I never pushed 'em any harder than 7 shaves. Someday I'll test one (and all my best blades as well) to it's limit.
brothers

Post by brothers »

close shave wrote:I get five great shaves from beginning to end. They are obviously used only one time in a medical situation but because they are so sharp we can stretch their use. One of the best blades I have ever used. Individually wrapped and made in the USA.
I like 'em too. A lot!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

I sure hope the owners continue the good quality of their various ASR blades.

While no one seems to like every one it's fair to say a lot of us hold at least one type in esteem. And as an American, I like buying stuff made in the USA. :)
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
changabang

Post by changabang »

Amen to that!
James Nicks
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

And long may we wave!
Michael G.
franz

Post by franz »

I'm a fan. They've worked quite well in my more aggressive razors.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Count me in as a fan as well. The little buggers do last a good long time.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I wish they worked for me, but they seemed dull.,......dunno, maybe too many becks that day, but i have a whole box that sit as a reminder of what enablers lurk here on smf :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Dripp

Post by Dripp »

Enablers? Who, us? Nah. But I only have 50 and I do like them quite a bit.
Dripp in Cincinnati
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

fallingwickets wrote:I wish they worked for me, but they seemed dull.,......dunno, maybe too many becks that day, but i have a whole box that sit as a reminder of what enablers lurk here on smf :lol:

clive
Sell 'em and move on. Use the $ for other blades that will work for you.
never2close

Post by never2close »

These are great blades. I now have them as one of three in my blade rotation. No worries about future quality issues since I now have enough blades to last my anticipated lifetime.
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

I sang the praises of these blades in another thread. I use these pretty much exclusively. They work for me from the first shave 'til when I think they are going south. I could probably shave longer with them, just never really took the chance. I get at least 5 out of them with various beard growth.

Great blades IMHO.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

this thread got me interested in trying these and the labs which were described as the same blade but not documented as sterile.

I've only tried a blade of each so what I say is anecdotal for the moment.

-hospital blade, I used it for two weeks straight, same blade, first shave was almost a bit sharp but after that it was glorious and smoothe as all can be. By far the best blade I've used to date, better than feathers.

-lab blade, I used one for about 8 days, not bad but no where near the hospital blade. not as sharp, not as smooth, and definitely showed signs of dulling much earlier than the hospital blade which I could have kept using when I discarded it.

This is only a 1 blade per sample and I will keep alternating looking for differences. Kneejerk reaction is the hospital and lab are not the same blade at all. Of course I could have used a perfect hospital and a poor example of the lab in theory.
Tom
Odio Barbillas

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Short Round wrote:this thread got me interested in trying these and the labs which were described as the same blade but not documented as sterile.
I've only tried a blade of each so what I say is anecdotal for the moment.
Tom, keep us apprised, please. There's so much written about both these blades and frankly, I love the discussion. It's reminiscent of the Great Shark Controversy (SS vs. SC)! :)
Michael G.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Tom, it's said that the lab blades are the same as the med preps, but on another forum someone did photomicrographs of the 2 blades and I remember them as being different grinds. I find them as being functionally very similar, but you know that YMMV, right?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

shadow,

that can be very true for sure, - a YMMV thing.

today's fresh lab blade was just as ho hum as the first. I'll use it 7 days and go back to a hospital.

So far they are NOT the same FOR ME in use.
Tom
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I have tried both and find a drastic difference. The HU are much smoother especially on first shave and near the end. The labs were fine but didnt do well for me on first shave. 2nd through 4th it was good but not perfect. It might be me and I have only used 3 labs but safe to say they arent the same blade. The HU are much better for me.
Shawn
AFG

Post by AFG »

I ordered a box of 100 of these blades from Robbins Instruments and received them on Monday. The box was marked as "Double Edge Prep" blades but upon opening the blade wrapper the "for hospital use" language was not there. The first assumption was that these were the lab blades not the hospital blades. Robbins contacted the manufacturer who stated that the blades were correct although they had gone through the manufacturing process without the stamping. They offered to exchange them for blades with the hospital language but I elected to use them as they were. This to me seems to provide even more credibility that the hospital and lab blades are either very close to being the same or at least run on the same machinery.
I put one in a Merkur Futur set on 3 and got a very close shave although I thought the blade was not as smooth for me as a Feather. The end result though was as good as I have ever gotten with any blade. Day 2 with the same blade in the Futur delivered a shave as good as the first one maybe just a bit smoother than day one. Today I put a fresh blade in a Jagger 89 and got another great shave. I still don't think it as good for me as a Feather but its really delivers an excellent shave. No weepers, no irritation so far. I think the blade may be a bit more forgiving than Feather just not as smooth at least for me. I'll continue to use them along with the Feathers.
Al
dosco

Post by dosco »

I had my first shave with a HU blade and it was excellent, replacing a Feather with 7 shaves on it.