Hess Forty-Four

Use a straight. You know it makes sense.
brothers

Hess Forty-Four

Post by brothers »

Forgive my enthusiasm. :D I'm not bragging, I'm just excited. In a few days, I'll receive my latest addition. This one is a 6/8 Stainless Steel Frozen Temper that looks NOS. Comments posted on SRP by Lynn, Glenn, and others indicate this is a top shelf razor. The steel is Swedish, and it was made in Germany for Hess Milk Hair Labs in Minnesota. I've also got a Friodur waiting to be honed for the first time (by me). These two new (to me) razors are replacing a couple of 5/8 razors that I recently sold.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
matt321

Post by matt321 »

This sounds like a nice razor. 8) Congrats!
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

pics..I need to start drooling sometime :D
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

It's fun having new toys to play with!
-Stephen
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sunday I honed up the Hess and Monday morning was the test shave. It took a nice edge and shaved quite well. It was easy to hone. I had wondered if being stainless might affect the setting of the bevel and the consequent run through the hones, but it was as simple and quick as any other. Knowing it will hold its edge well is a nice bonus. Lovely razor.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Harvitz81

Post by Harvitz81 »

I have one of these razors and they truly are top notch! Enjoy your shaves.
Gssixgun

Post by Gssixgun »

Your enthusiasm is forgiven :D

I still haven't found a smoother SS razor than the Hess 44, the Sears/Sta-Sharps come close but not quite... at least IMHO..
Always Very Respectfully

Glen
brothers

Post by brothers »

Those old SRP reviews came in real handy when I was looking at this to buy.
Last edited by brothers on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

pinklather

Post by pinklather »

I may one of very few that got a Hess that was underwhelming. Several attempts at honing, gave a good shave, but nothing special. A number of Gencos shave much better.

The only other stainless I've tried was the Dovo inox and a few Friodurs - all of which honed up easily and gave wonderful shaves. I guess not every copy of even the nice trophy blades is a star. 'Sounds like yours is delivering the goods, which is, indeed, satisfying.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Yesterday was the Hess's turn again, I think it was shave #11 since the full hone treatment about 5 1/2 months ago, and with normal pre-shave stropping, I'm really happy that it's still giving excellent shaves. This is very satisfying.
Gary

JimR

Post by JimR »

Oh, I've heard only good about the Hess...but this pic is worthless without pictures! The 44 is a lovely razor and deserves to be seen!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Jim, I agree, here it is ----

Gary

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I can't be the only one who gets a warm fuzzy feeling on looking at those pictures. I want to hone it!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It does call out to be caressed, I wish more of you guys would post pictures.
Regards,
Squire
matt321

Post by matt321 »

brothers wrote:Jim, I agree, here it is ----
Ah, a razor most beautiful. 8)
brothers

Post by brothers »

Tomorrow morning I have a date with the pretty Hess, and will be finishing off a tube of Irisch Moos shaving cream. I'm very much looking forward to it.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

It's been just about a year since I checked in to say I'm lovin' it. Well, nothing's changed. Like ol' Jerry Lee Lewis said once, if ya' aint got somethin', get somethin'. I reckon I got somethin'. Shaves like a dream.
Gary

DoughBoy68

Re: Hess Forty-Four

Post by DoughBoy68 »

Congrats! That is a beautiful razor and I know Hess are great shavers. I screwed up a couple years ago by selling a Hess #1, that was before I knew what the were. It wasn't shaving like I thought it should due to my insufficient honing skills at the time. I managed to get my hands on another Hess #1 recently and no way will I let it get away from me. This one shaves great do to my much more experienced honing skills thanks to Glen's (gssixgun) honing videos.
"If you knew half of what I have forgot you would be an idiot" by DoughBoy68
brothers

Post by brothers »

Glen is a fine gentleman, and knows a lot about razors. He's restored more than one old razor for me in the past. I like his videos too. Would you consider posting a picture of your Hess #1? I'd like to see it.
Gary

DoughBoy68

Post by DoughBoy68 »

Here are the requested pics. When I bought this Hess #1 a couple years ago it had a slight frown so I sent it to Lynn for honing. At the time my 'frown removal' kills were sub standard so I figured I'd let a pro handle it. Hess are sweet shaving razors.

I did manage to pick up another one a few months ago very reasonable ($52 shipped) that I was going to clean up and keep and maybe sell this one. Well, as fate would have it while cleaning I used too much pressure (still can't figure out why) and heard the dreaded 'ting' sound. Yep! broke the blade.....I nearly cried!
DSC08856.JPG
DSC08856.JPG (151.36 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
DSC08851.JPG
DSC08851.JPG (148.7 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
DSC08854.JPG
DSC08854.JPG (130.94 KiB) Viewed 7374 times
"If you knew half of what I have forgot you would be an idiot" by DoughBoy68