Redisccovering The Wonder of the 2-Pass Shave

New to the world of wet-shaving? Grab a desk and be seated! Welcome to SMFU: A place to learn and compare notes about the ABC's of wet shaving. From brushes to creams, razors and more...We've got it all!
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've tried not to actually keep too close an account, it generally works out that in some areas I'll go over it a couple of times, from different angles, and other areas, more or less. It's sort of all one big random pass intermingled with as many latherings it takes for me to declare the shave "is over" and proceed with cleanup. I enjoy the whole process, depending on how much time I feel I have, so the frequency of latherings is variable. Sometimes I relather the neck area more often than maybe some other areas.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

2 Pass and touch ups when blades new...3 passes when less so.

Alan
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

I have been doing two-pass shaves for the most part recently, and find I get good results with minimum irritation. Been doing WTG pass and XTG on the cheeks and above the lip. Below the chin is ATG where the beard seems heaviest....
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by aircraft_electrician »

I too have been shaving with 2 passes lately. With a Feather blade in my Gillette New, I get a really good shave with just 2 passes; good enough that I'm still presentable and fairly smooth after 12 hours of work. With any other blade, I've got to shave again before I go out after work.

Two passes don't leave me BBS like I am after 3 passes, but there is definitely less chance for irritation and weepers, and the extra time saved when working 12 hour shifts is worth it.

Tom
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
SmallTank

Post by SmallTank »

I go 4 passes..with my DE razors n 3.5 with my str8 razors
MikekiM

Post by MikekiM »

I rediscover this every few weeks...

The problem, as I see it, is I can't get a good 'read' on how good my shave actually is until a few hours after wards, when my skin settles down. I mean, I certainly can tell a good shave as it's progressing, but the real rating comes after a few hours..

A good two pass is far better than I knowingly give credit to it. It's not a three-plus pass BBS that lasts ten hours, but a two pass DFS after ten hours is still a million miles ahead of a cart shave five minutes after it's done.

This week I've have the Hoffritz Slant on a BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe, long version, loaded with a Feather.. two passes is all it takes.

That said, I still do three-plus most of the time... I would do ten passes if my face could take it, if only to prolong the enjoyment. Maybe I should try Method.. :P
JPDyson

Post by JPDyson »

I bounce back and forth between a KAI Captain (like a Feather AC for the uninitiated) and various DE's and SE's. With the Captain, it's almost always a 1-pass shave, sort of WTG and sort of XTG - results are pretty darn close and comfortable. Same shave takes two passes (one WTG, on XTG) with a DE or SE. I almost never do any more, unless I have all the time in the world or just really want to get it clean for a special occasion.

Admittedly, it took me a few months of wet shaving to get to that point, but it's a freeing thing to not need a 3-4 pass BBS every day.
--Josh
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I suspect two passes would do most gentlemen right fine.
Regards,
Squire
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Does me fine. First one downwards everywhere. Second pass upwards under the jawline, and crossways towards the midline above the jawline. Close enough to smooch, not so close I get any skin irritation. I can't ask for more!

Chris
Nor can the smoochee.
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Just goes to show, with an open razor my first pass is up under the jaw line and down on the cheeks, then from center line across both sides toward the ears.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

My first pass is with the grain, generally down and across the neck. Second pass is a combination of across and against.

It doesn't matter how smooth the shave turns out, invariably it grows right back and I get to do it all over again.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
MikekiM

Post by MikekiM »

This past week I am shaving with a Gem 1912.. for my face, the Gem can too much of a good thing if I allow it, so I tend to go with just two passes. Still I find a two pass with a proper razor is far better, even hours after the shave, than the old cart and goo would have been just minutes after.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Yeah, that's the cutting pattern I use when I only do two passes. But normally it's two passes downward, with the third upward on the neck and cross-wise on the cheeks.
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Nor can the smoochee.
11 thumbs up to that!! :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Mine says she likes the stubble. I'm such a macho man, don't you know!
Gary

Sargon

Post by Sargon »

2 passes works well for thinner beards. My sister's fiance shaved off a month of growth with a tech in 2 passes ( eh did trim with an electric beard trimmet to start, but still...

me? I have a 5oclock shadow with a 4 pass BBS.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I've been doing a 2 pass shave for quite some time now.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

bernards66 wrote:I'll do two pass shaves if I'm really pressed for time, but they are never as good as when I do my usual three pass routine. As Squire said, it's questionable if anyone else notices the difference...but I do. My three pass shave definately lasts longer than if I do just two, and the abbreviated version just never feels quite 'right' during the course of the day.
Regards,
Gordon
I seem to do like Gordon. Good having you back with us by the way. Normally do the 3 pass shave to get a really great BBS shave. But of late have found myself on doing 2 passes, WTG and ATG and it seems to work pretty good. Do need to do some blade buffing around the mouth though to get it just right.

But for me the only way to a really great BBS shave it the slow, comfortable 3 passes plus buffing pass.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
The Seeker

Post by The Seeker »

Most days for me are two passes - WTG then XTG. Every now and again I will do a third ATG pass but it seems to result in some irritation and ingrown hairs.
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

First pass - from ears to chin, straight down on mustache and chin, then from middle neck outwards towards the ears (with grain)

Second pass - straight down, more or less, everywhere (across grain)
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~