Proraso splash vs. balm - your experiences

Ok, so we've got shaving all taken care of but what about that hair and the rest of your face? Get the low down on shampoo's, conditioners, finishers, cleansers, toners and moisturizers right here!
hoffo

Proraso splash vs. balm - your experiences

Post by hoffo »

Hi,
I was using Proraso after shave balm. My girlfriend told me that by the time I got home, the scent had turned to something sharp and metallic. I couldn't tell any different, and had no redness or irritation from using it.

I just tried the Proraso splash and "Voila!" - the smell didn't "change".

Have any of you had the same experiences with Proraso or any particular balm? What do you think the "magic" ingredient is which may have caused the reaction to the balm?

I use other aftershave balms and don't have any similar reactions.

Thanks for your time.

Scott
Made with Macintosh!
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I've never tried the Prorasos, but I have a similar problem with the Musgo Real balm. The scent from the balm turns "sour" on me, while the splash keeps on smelling great all day long.
Eric
mme29710

Post by mme29710 »

I enjoy the splash. I have no experience with the balm
hoffo

Post by hoffo »

Still having a positive experience with the splash. I have a mostly full bottle of the balm just sorta collecting dust now... maybe I'll try it again some time in the future.
Made with Macintosh!
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

scents are describes by their "notes", which, basically means that, over time, certain fragrences in them evaporate changing the overall scent of the product.

A cologne might have citrus, lavender, and musk in it. Initially you'll smell the citrus ( the top note), later, once that has evaporated, perhaps the middle note ( lavender) will be most obvious. Finally, the only scent left will be the base note ( in this case musk).

it may be that she dislikes the base note, but doesn't notice it initially, and that you don't really notice ti at all.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I had a big bottle of the splash. I liked it in the beginning, but after a little while, my body chemistry just wasn't clicking with it anymore, and the fragrance turned to something that didn't agree with my nose after it had been on me for a couple of hours or so. That't the way it goes sometimes.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I use both. I love the sting of the splash followed by the soothe of the balm.
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

I only tried the balm and didn't like either the feel or scent of it. Big mistake. It stings my face as bad as some lotions and it is greasy.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have used the balm and have a few bottles of it lying around but I am not enthusiastic about it.
The splash is way better and does not leave that greasy feeling, plus it smells better.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."