Hoffritz vs Merkur slants

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Seamaster

Hoffritz vs Merkur slants

Post by Seamaster »

I'm a huge fan of the Merkur slant, and it has become my go-to razor of choice to the extent that I rarely shave with anything else these days.

My question is to those who have tried the Hoffritz slant — would I notice much of a difference if I tracked one of these down? From what I can see, the Merkur is pretty much identical in geometry etc. Does the Hoffritz shave any differently?

As an aside, are there any other slant razors in production? Did anyone other than Hoffritz make them back in the day?
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i had a vintage merkur slant with the white coated handle. i think that may be the same as the one you're interested in. my opinion is it was milder than a 39c and similar to a modern hd
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
LouisIII

Re: Hoffritz vs Merkur slants

Post by LouisIII »

Seamaster wrote:
As an aside, are there any other slant razors in production? Did anyone other than Hoffritz make them back in the day?
I believe Hoffritz were re-branded Merkurs.

Also seen some lovely vintage Simpsons carried by Hoffritz; they sourced nice kit.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
itsmedave

Re: Hoffritz vs Merkur slants

Post by itsmedave »

Seamaster wrote:I'm a huge fan of the Merkur slant, and it has become my go-to razor of choice to the extent that I rarely shave with anything else these days.

My question is to those who have tried the Hoffritz slant — would I notice much of a difference if I tracked one of these down? From what I can see, the Merkur is pretty much identical in geometry etc. Does the Hoffritz shave any differently?

I've had both (have a Hoffritz now) and they're very similar. The handle on my Hoffritz is smaller than that of a 37c.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i used a hoffritz slant from the 70's to the mid 90's

last year i tried a barberpole slant and after that a regular merkur slant
then i acquired a hoffritz slant this year

i notice no difference in the shave or the feel.. the head on the hoffritz is not smooth across it has a wave pattern i believe why i dont know

that is the only difference and what others stated in earlier posts

seamaster pm me please
thanks
marc
melyus
Vendor

Post by melyus »

these are my slant razors
coles slant merkur 37c and hoffritz 3 piece slant
i never notice very big differences between all this three razors.