GINS!!!

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

I've tried Hendrick's Gin and like it --- and Trader Joe's sells it. :) Very distinctive taste, but good.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Finally got a bottle of Plymouth gin to try---and it is indeed great. It's not a London dry gin---it's a Plymouth gin: sui generis. The "Original", which I got, is 82.4 proof. The "Navy Strength" is 114 proof (or 100% proof, measured on a different scale). Makes an absolutely smooth and wonderful Martini. I see why it won over all the rest.
macawber

Post by macawber »

Have any of you tried Pink Gin, it's my favourite. I first tried it at a jungle camp in India. The owner of the camp a man who stayed on after the Raj introduced this drink to me. A couple of these after sundown are great.

Bob
mparker762

Post by mparker762 »

Hendricks is a nice sipping gin, but for martinis I prefer Boodles.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

The Wife today is going to look for a bottle of Junipero Anchor Distilling Gin up in Palo Alto. That was the number 2 Martini gin.

The dratted NY Times article didn't do a comprehensive list of all gins tried, but I can't believe that they'd omit Boodles.

I tried a Pink Gin last night. I have to say that I prefer a Martini, but of course tastes differ.
jvan
Mr. Vintage Himself

Post by jvan »

Booth's over ice with a twist of lemon, life is good.
John V
"What one relishes, nourishes"

Benjamin Franklin
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Leisureguy wrote:I've tried Hendrick's Gin and like it --- and Trader Joe's sells it. :) Very distinctive taste, but good.
I am a big fan of Hendricks Gin. If I make a martini with Hendricks, I like to substitute cucumber slices for the olives. Very refreshing!
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Boodles is another good one.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

No mention of my stalwart, Gordon's? It makes a great martini (I like 'em dirty), and it's very reasonably priced. I just bought a half gallon for under $17 just yesterday. Think such a gin has no glamour? Check out Cary Grant at the 1942 Academy Awards with a bottle of Gordon's right in front of him. Does it get any more glamourous than Cary Grant in the '40s?

Jim
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Hendrick's is my favorite, but it's not easy to procure in this area, so I generally stick with Bombay Sapphire, but I'm beginning to really enjoy Gordon's as well.

I always drink my gin with tonic and lime or in a martini when out, but if I can get another bottle of Hendrick's I plan on trying on the rocks by itself.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Kyle76 wrote:No mention of my stalwart, Gordon's? It makes a great martini (I like 'em dirty), and it's very reasonably priced. I just bought a half gallon for under $17 just yesterday.
I have actually never had Gordon's. :oops: At that price, I will have to pick up a bottle and give it a try.

- Phil
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

BullGoose wrote:
Leisureguy wrote:I've tried Hendrick's Gin and like it --- and Trader Joe's sells it. :) Very distinctive taste, but good.
I am a big fan of Hendricks Gin. If I make a martini with Hendricks, I like to substitute cucumber slices for the olives. Very refreshing!
Hendrick's recommends cucumber as the garnish for G & T as well; I can't remember if I've tried it or not, but I typically make my G & T's without a garnish anyway.

Tanqueray is by far my favorite, with Bombay Sapphire a fairly close second. I've tried the Tanqueray Rangpur but found it too sweet for my liking.
Regards,
Mike
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

maskaggs wrote:
BullGoose wrote:
Hendrick's recommends cucumber as the garnish for G & T as well; I can't remember if I've tried it or not, but I typically make my G & T's without a garnish anyway....
Yep, the cucumber adds a certain freshness to the taste of the Hendricks. I'm wondering if it would do the same for other gins as well.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

aircraft_electrician wrote:
Yep, the cucumber adds a certain freshness to the taste of the Hendricks. I'm wondering if it would do the same for other gins as well.
I don't know...I'll have to give it a try.

- Phil
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Junipero is my absolute fave for a martini. Plymouth is also wonderful, though I don't have any at the moment. Bombay regular is high on my list at the moment. Agree with the comments about Gordons, tasty and a great value. Most of my martinis are very dry, but when with Gordons, I add a touch of vermouth.
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I'm looking to lay in stores for the rest of the winter while I'm in the Louisville area - up in the Great White North of Indiana, selection is sh*te, so I take advantage of the Liquor Barn chain while I'm down here.

Tonight I stumbled across "Beefeater 24." I've never seen this before; I'm contemplating either trying this out or getting some Boodles, which I've also never had before. Has anyone had 24 before, and if so, what was your experience?
Regards,
Mike
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I have never had the 24 but I have had the Boodles. As Clive would say, 217 thumbs up. :D

- Phil
function

Post by function »

I'm a bog fan of Boodles, as well as Monopolowa recently. Potato base instead of grain, and quite smooth.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Big Ren wrote:Maybe it's my crude palate, but I really can't discern much difference among gins, especially in mixed drinks or a well-chilled martini.
Neither can I. I only ever drink it with tonic and buy whatever's cheapest (usually Gordons).
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Seamaster wrote:
Big Ren wrote:Maybe it's my crude palate, but I really can't discern much difference among gins, especially in mixed drinks or a well-chilled martini.
Neither can I. I only ever drink it with tonic and buy whatever's cheapest (usually Gordons).
I feel that way about vodka. Gin though has flavor and there are definite differences between gins. Hendricks, for example, has an infusion of rose and cucumber in addition to juniper. Very delicious.

- Phil