Ooooohhhhhh Gordon......

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Nate

Ooooohhhhhh Gordon......

Post by Nate »

drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Wow.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Well, I'll be damned!..... :shock: .....I might have to give it a try!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

When Gordon has a chance to review it, and if he recommends it, then I'll buy it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Dapper Dad

Post by Dapper Dad »

Advanced apologies for being "that guy."

Anyone willing to describe the scent of Spanish Leather? I'm intrigued. I imagine something like Old Spice.
Eric
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Interesting indeed.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

I just love this hobby!
druphus

Post by druphus »

Dapper Dad wrote:Anyone willing to describe the scent of Spanish Leather?.
The formula is exceedingly simple - Patchouli and Musk. Mainly patchouli with musk for longevity. I find it rather "uplifting" in the beginning and it mellows down to a nice warm, but not powdery glow. Not particularlly long-lived (on me at least).
Last edited by druphus on Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Andy
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Nate, I hate you a little bit for posting this. :lol:

Nah, I'll be able to resist unless/until it's available as a soap puck.
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
i_shaved_something

Post by i_shaved_something »

Interesting..may have to try it. I'm still hoping for an Eau de Quinine soap/cream someday but not holding my breath on that one.
Rob
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

TRBeck wrote:
Nah, I'll be able to resist unless/until it's available as a soap puck.
Yeah, but it will still be Trumper's soap.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
ATLpr8head

Post by ATLpr8head »

I hope the plastic tube is not the new norm. The one reason I prefer using the Trumpers tubes is because they are metal. If they put this in the tub I will be all over it:)
Shawn
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My shopping list just got a little longer.
Regards,
Squire
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

chris fisher had two tubes up for sale in the sales subforum
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

brothers wrote:When Gordon has a chance to review it, and if he recommends it, then I'll buy it.
Gordolotry :shock:
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
brothers

Post by brothers »

LouisIII wrote:
brothers wrote:When Gordon has a chance to review it, and if he recommends it, then I'll buy it.
Not really, he seldom if ever reviews new products, even though he does recommend them, and at the present time he's not posting much. So I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. I can declare that I'm possibly interested, but you notice I didn't say I am going to buy it. I only said if two things happen, both centered around a knowledgeable but seldom seen participant, then I'd buy it afterwards. I've given myself credibility at no current obligation to act. I thought of this clever plan only after I caught myself with 2 tubes in my shopping cart at the GFT website, and came close to spending over $40 on a blind impulse. I've done that WAY too many times, and am now finding ways to "talk about doing something, but not really DOING it." That's what politicians do, universally, and it works every time for those folks.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

brothers wrote:
LouisIII wrote:
Not really, he seldom if ever reviews new products, even though he does recommend them, and at the present time he's not posting much. So I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. I can declare that I'm possibly interested, but you notice I didn't say I am going to buy it. I only said if two things happen, both centered around a knowledgeable but seldom seen participant, then I'd buy it afterwards. I've given myself credibility at no current obligation to act. I thought of this clever plan only after I caught myself with 2 tubes in my shopping cart at the GFT website, and came close to spending over $40 on a blind impulse. I've done that WAY too many times, and am now finding ways to "talk about doing something, but not really DOING it." That's what politicians do, universally, and it works every time for those folks.
So when do your tubes arrive? The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior after all. :wink:
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Very funny Andy. :lol:
Gary

95%

Post by 95% »

In naming this thread, Nate was undoubtedly aware that Spanish Leather is one of Gordon's two favorite colognes (the other being English Fern.) But our friend is not particularly fond of "cologne-scented" creams, as I recall. Trumper creams tend to be highly perfumed, more so than Trumper soaps, and for that reason I'll take a pass on this one.

Dapper Dad - I can't compare the Spanish Leather scent to anything else I know - perhaps Taylor's Sandalwood or Knize Ten? Tim and others could be more helpful than I. It's a nice fragrance, but I find it too assertive to wear as a cologne. Of course, as a shaving cream, its scent wouldn't last long enough to become oppressive.
Porter
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

A must requisite for "Trumperman"!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.