Ooooohhhhhh Gordon......

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Nate

Post by Nate »

Sam wrote:chris fisher had two tubes up for sale in the sales subforum
Ah, Fisher beat me to it. Thats quite ok, I like to think that Chris was one of the first people outside of Trumper's that knew about this cream.

Porter, if my memory is right, and trust me it aint what it used to be, you are right. Gordon is not the biggest fan of cologne creams or soaps, but I thought that that applied to contemporary-mariney type scents. What I was channeling were the threads that let us say "What would you like companies to make?" And people could answer things like for Harris to make a rose soap and T&H to make their other scents available in soaps. Some would opine that the Coates should be produced again. Anyway, I recall Gordon always saying that he wished that Trumpers would turn their Spanish Leather into a soap or cream.
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

After all these years, why now?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Nate wrote: I recall Gordon always saying that he wished that Trumpers would turn their Spanish Leather into a soap or cream.
That was my first thought! I too wonder why, and why now? Not a range, just a one-off product in a plastic tube too.

Chris Fisher has been known to write some insightful new product reviews of the ones he's experienced. Has he done one on the red tube GFT Spanish Leather, and I just missed it? If he sold off 3 backups, and hasn't written a review of the product, well, I don't know what to think . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Quarterstick wrote:
brothers wrote:
LouisIII wrote: Gordolotry :shock:
Not really, he seldom if ever reviews new products, even though he does recommend them, and at the present time he's not posting much. So I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. I can declare that I'm possibly interested, but you notice I didn't say I am going to buy it. I only said if two things happen, both centered around a knowledgeable but seldom seen participant, then I'd buy it afterwards. I've given myself credibility at no current obligation to act. I thought of this clever plan only after I caught myself with 2 tubes in my shopping cart at the GFT website, and came close to spending over $40 on a blind impulse. I've done that WAY too many times, and am now finding ways to "talk about doing something, but not really DOING it." That's what politicians do, universally, and it works every time for those folks.
So when do your tubes arrive? The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior after all. :wink:
I've played around with electronic shopping carts before too and most of the times, those transactions get completed sooner or later. :lol: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
drumana

Post by drumana »

Hiyooooo!!!! Looking forward to the reviews of this. GFT soap doesn't work for me, but I'd surely be tempted with the SL shave cream if the scent is right.
-Andrew-
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm wondering what the ingredient list says. If it's posted here already, I just missed seeing it. I keep thinking about the #10 line that T&H has been selling. Maybe GFT's testing the water with new stuff.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Umm?....well, Nate is right, of course; in those sorts of threads I have often opined that Trumpers Spanish Leather would make a great scent for a hard shaving soap especially. One time Corey Greenberg concocted some SL cream simply by pouring some of the cologne into a pot of AoS unscented cream. He sent me some but the scent was too strong for me although the cream did 'work' fine. So....I dunno. I still think that this scent would be more appropriate in a hard soap and that plastic tube does not soothe my suspicions about the direction that Trumpers has been headed for the last several years. Still, I'd like to try it...but not enough to order it blind. If we get some reviews, and/or I can stop by that shop down the coast that carries some Trumper products...and they have it, maybe then.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gordon, maybe we'll be seeing some reviews and an ingredient list one of these days. I wasn't kidding earlier, it's an idea you've suggested, and even if it's not soap, I'm interested in seeing your unique take on it.
Gary

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm not interested in the ingredients, rather how well it works and how heavily scented it might be. This is one I'll buy blind when I get around to it.
Regards,
Squire
jtpca

Post by jtpca »

I am surpised this is not in a soap - the scent seems much better suited to a puck.

I am currently enjoying a leather scented soap from Malaspina Soap Factory - a great product. Two different worlds in terms of production, though I will hold out for the soap when considering the Spanish Leather.
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jason, I agree; the Trumper Spanish Leather scent just always seemed a natural for a hard shave soap. Although, if forced to choose, I tend to favour the creams, most cologne scented creams I've tried have been too heavily scented for my taste. The Taylors Sandalwood cream is a good example. While I'm fond of the cologne, in the shave cream the same scent just seems rather overpowering....at least for me. Everyone's taste in these matters varies of course and I do look forward to reading Squire's, and others, take on this product.
Regards,
Gordon
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Still no reports on this cream?
Eric
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Flash in the pan perhaps Eric.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

A year or so ago, when I had a chance to rub a sample of the Spanish Leather on the back of my hand, I didn't care for the leathery part of the fragrance, it seemed too sharp or harsh and wasn't my cup of tea. I'm going to presume the shaving cream performs identically to the other Trumper creams, which is not bad, and that it smells like the cologne, which was a turnoff, so I'm not missing anything. Usually new stuff gets reviewed here. I think many of us are reluctant to (a) be the first on the block to write a glowing review of something new; and/or (b) admit we made an impulse buy of something that turned out to be something of a general dud. I predict there will be a review that says something like "it's ok" and "you might like it more than I did, so don't let my neutral comments stop you from buying it".
Gary

Ken

Post by Ken »

I wrote to GFT asking whether they were considering a soap version and also expressing concern that they might be abandoning the metal tubes in the other shave creams. I received a reply that "Please be assured we do take all customer comments and suggestions on board, and in this respect, your email will be kept on file." In the past they have been more specific in their responses to my inquiries. So, I'm not optimistic.

Ken
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ken wrote:I wrote to GFT asking whether they were considering a soap version and also expressing concern that they might be abandoning the metal tubes in the other shave creams. I received a reply that "Please be assured we do take all customer comments and suggestions on board, and in this respect, your email will be kept on file." In the past they have been more specific in their responses to my inquiries. So, I'm not optimistic.

Ken
Ken, I'm sure we all feel better now that they've promised to keep your email, as opposed to deleting it, I guess. You tried! :?

For discussion purposes, it is interesting that they chose to bring out the Eucris as a shaving soap only, and Spanish Leather as a cream only.
Gary

drumana

Post by drumana »

It's unbelievable to me that this cream has not become the new 'hot' thing in these parts.

My shave kit gets more and more paired down as time goes on. I've recently discovered that I'm too lazy for cream in tubs. It's just too much work getting the cream out of the tub. :roll: I'm destined for the tubes and when my current stash runs out I'll be buying creams in tubes from now on. The GFT Spanish Leather is of interest to me. I love the scent - had the cologne but stopped wearing cologne in general and sold it off to a worthy recipient... But I do miss the scent a bit.
-Andrew-
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andrew, "...too lazy for tubs..."....yeesss....I hate to admit it but I'm tending that way too. I mean, I do love the look of those Trumper, and similiar, old school pots but it's just so much easier, tidyer, and precise to simply squeeze out a specific length of cream from a tube. Sigh...it's come to this....pitiful really but there you are.

Ken, Er....no...that does not sound encouraging. It was a brush-off or dismissal clearly enough. Well, crap!
Regards,
Gordon
diggity

Post by diggity »

bernards66 wrote:Andrew, "...too lazy for tubs..."....yeesss....I hate to admit it but I'm tending that way too. I mean, I do love the look of those Trumper, and similiar, old school pots but it's just so much easier, tidyer, and precise to simply squeeze out a specific length of cream from a tube. Sigh...it's come to this....pitiful really but there you are.

Ken, Er....no...that does not sound encouraging. It was a brush-off or dismissal clearly enough. Well, crap!
Regards,
Gordon
I am also with you on this one. You know, what really pushed me over the edge with the tubes over creams were two things: vacations and moving into a smaller space. The tubs are just too darn big. It's just so much easier to squeeze the tube and put the top back on. And you know, they last longer than the tubs too. I was all about tubs a few years back until some of the ones I like the most dried up almost overnight.
Nathan
paddy

Post by paddy »

for some reason i always think that the cream in tubs is better than cream in tubes. in other words, if i take a tub of trumper rose and a tube of truper rose, the better quality cream of the two will be in the tub. don't ask me what the reason is, but i've tended to find that.

that said i am not averse to buying cream in tubes, such as musgo. but if there is a tub option i always tend to go for that. in addition there's just something about just unscrewing the lid and seeing a big ol pot of creamy goodness staring right back at you and then digging in.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.