Quick Introduction

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Smoothy

Quick Introduction

Post by Smoothy »

Hello everyone. I am (relatively) new here, although I have been reading along over the past months. The first time I have come accross SMF was when I was actively searching the web for reviews on particular razor blades, and of course Squire's posts on the topic were among the very first search results showing :wink: .

I have been wet shaving for quite a while already, in fact I've started with straights before tackling SE's (with a couple of gorgeous GEM 1912s) and eventually laying my hands on DEs. Having been active, on-and-off, in a few other similar-minded forums, I have heard (and read) a lot of good stuff about SMF, hence me asking for permission to join.

My current set-up includes a Merkur 11C, a BRW Gillette New, a vintage Progress 500 and a Merkur 37C Slant, with my go-to razor being the 11C (as I have admitted yesterday in the 'open comb' thread). I tend to prefer sharp blades, with Feather being my favourite brand, closely followed by ASP, BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette 7 o'clock sharp edge and Bolzano. I do tend to stock on a few other brands once in a while for testing (trial and error purposes.) I have and currently use only 2 shave brushes, a Mühle Basic Nr.2 and a Mühle travel shave brush in nickel casing, both fitted with the synthetic ‘Silver Tip Fibre’ from the same manufacturer. On the software side, I use predominantly shave soaps of the hard and a little less hard variety (in the latter category fall soaps such as Valobra, Cella etc.). And, although being open-minded and adventurous towards trying new hard- and software as well as techniques, I am a dedicated face latherer. That won't change. :oops:

Before settling on the set-up above, I have spent a lot of time going through quite a selection of straight and double edge razors and, even though my current attention goes to DEs, I will continue using straights (my preference lying with 6/8" blades from 1/4 hollow to wedge as well as, interestingly enough, Feather Artist Club straights) and I still do want to get my hands on a nice Schick Injector or similar as well as the one or other DE, possibly an EJ...

Sorry, it appears that my introduction was not as 'quick' as was my intention and I hope nobody minds. I am looking forward to be an active member of this community, thanks for having me.
With warm regards from the Tropics,
Jeff
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome Jeff!
Regards,
Andy
SRD

Post by SRD »

Welcome Jeff. Enjoy yourself here.
Dave
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

Welcome, glad you're here.
_______
John
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

Welcome! Do not worry about being long-winded either. A key point of the forum is to share and ramble on about our shaving. :)
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Your intro went pretty quick for me. Good intro.

Welcome to the forum!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to SMF!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Welcome to smf and ditto on all the sentiments already expressed

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hi Jeff. Thanks for joining us. Nice introductory post, by the way.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

Jeff,

Nice gear. Welcome!!

Ed
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Jeff, welcome to SMF.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Welcome, Jeff! I think you'll fit in just fine here.

- Murray
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Welcome Jeff-

Anyone who prefers Feathers get a + in my ratings.
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

My welcome too. Wonder how many shaves you get from your Feathers. I get only one or two good shaves before they lose that super sharp edge.
Ouchmychin (Pete)
JayTrek

Post by JayTrek »

Welcome, Jeff.
Regards,
Jason

Upon Further Review...
Steve-o

Post by Steve-o »

Welcome, Jeff! Always great to have a new member from someplace different, too. What shaving stuff can you get in Singapore that seems really different?
“Time just seems to get quicker. You look in the mirror in the morning and you think, ‘I’m already shaving again!’” - Terry Jones of Monty Python's Flying Circus
Smoothy

Post by Smoothy »

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@ Ouchmychin: In closed combs razors, I get easily 5 shaves (Mon-Fri, starting Mondays off with thick growth). In OC, I have noticed that I can get 3-4 good shaves, the 5th shave is of noticeably less quality, sadly.

@ Steve-o: Not much shaving stuff here which is really different, unfortunately. A big choice of Godrej products is available in Little India, as well as Tabac, SIR, Omega etc. One noticeable difference is the prices: Feather blades are quite affordable here (although still more then other blades in Europe or the US), a 5-pack of Derby blades costs about 3$ (US) (that one got me laughing..) and EJ products are also way more expensive. Besides the Feather blades (and maybe an Omega boar brush in the future), I buy all of my gear overseas.
With warm regards from the Tropics,
Jeff
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

well to smf jeff

i enjoy reading your post and looking forward to reading your future psoting and threats you might start

marc
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Come often and stay long :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Nice intro. Welcome to the forum!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am