What's the concensus on rose creams and soaps re: scent?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
CSG

What's the concensus on rose creams and soaps re: scent?

Post by CSG »

I always considered myself a sandalwood, Old Spice, bay rum sorta guy but after receiving the Trumper and T&H sampler packs and trying their rose cream and Coral skin food, damn if I'm not a convert!

I know rose was once considered a masculine scent and still is in other parts of the world but maybe not so much in the States. Regardless, I have had two truly wonderful shaves with each of the rose cream samples I have and have found very little goes a long way. I used an EJ super badger on the T&H yesterday and a Vulfix mixed Grosvenor on the Trumper today. Both samples provided gobs of lather with plenty left over and provided wonderful shaves with no issues. I prefer the T&H scent but only by a little.

I love the Coral skin food and have ordered a bottle to replace the sample once it runs out but I also added a bottle of the Sandalwood for when that one runs out too.

Anyway, while I think I'll have to keep the rose fragrance for days when I'm at home I absolutely love the fragrance which lingers for at least an hour or two.

I know there are other makers (TOBS, Salter, QCS, etc.) but I have been quite impressed with T&&H and GFT. Someone is going to be ordering a tub of new product with the samples run out!

Anyway, where does rose fit in your shaving arsenal?
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I have some Rose soap from QED that has a pretty decent scent after a few years of having it. I never know what kind of soap or cream I'll be shaving with from shave to shave so Rose is pretty hit and miss for me.

-Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
OtherMoe

Post by OtherMoe »

I once had some Bulgarian Rose from SRD, in the end, the rose scent in it was way too intense for me. I do enjoy Klar Kabinett however.
--------------------------
-Moe
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

I currently have a tub of TOB Rose cream which
I use from time to time and really enjoy.

I had and used up a puck of Trumper's Rose soap.

I will always have either a rose soap or cream in
my rotation.

Terry
CSG

Post by CSG »

And to think, just a week or so ago, Cella was my current favorite. :D
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

CSG wrote:And to think, just a week or so ago, Cella was my current favorite. :D

I know what you mean. For the past few days
Institut Karite soap has been mine. Next week
when I try out my RazoRock XXX then I will
have a new favorite.

Terry
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

Currently, I have Trumpers Rose Soap along with the rose offerings from TOBS and Salter. I like them all.

Scent wise, I would give the nod to Trumpers Rose Soap. To me, it is spot on. Very dry, powdery scent which is prevalent throughout the shave, but not at all overpowering.

On the cream side, I prefer the TOBS over Salter for both scent and performance. I find the Trumpers cream has a pretty strong, almost dark / damp rose scent. I find it a tad more complex than the others.

However, my favorite rose cream (scent & performance) would be T&H.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

CSG, you're not going to do any better shavewise than T&H. I love the scent although it is a bit powdery. I use it and my other rose scented creams and soaps regularly.. I have never had a problem with the scents lingering, but wouldn't really care anyway. You should also try TOBS and Harris Rose creams and QCS and Trumper's Rose soaps (I'm not a big fan of Trumper's lather but many are and the scent of the soap is addictive).
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I have used Trumpers and Salters rose creams an Prairie Creations Rose Soap. Seem to like the lather as well as the scent I get from the Trumpers the best.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
CSG

Post by CSG »

It's an interesting thing between the GFT and T&H rose cream. Before I'd used either for shaving I smeared the least little bit on the back of my hand to take a whiff of the scent. While both smell great out of the container, the GFT smelled awful when rubbed on like a lotion, almost fishy if you can believe that. I was sure I was not going to like it as a lather no matter what. Well, it smelled great once lathered and on my face. Really, almost as good as the T&H. But I think the T&H gets the nod for an order.

I'd love to try a sample of TOBS but am not gonna pay $5-6 for a bit (when shipping is included) and am hesitant to buy a tub in case I don't care for it. I do like the price of their stuff though by comparison.
brothers

Post by brothers »

When Harris brought out their Rose cream a couple of years ago, I got a tub and didn't use it a whole lot because I had a tub of TOBS Rose I was pretty sold on, but then I decided to use the TOBS Rose exclusively for about a month and ended up not liking it anywhere near as much as I once thought I did. I did manage to use up almost all of the tub and then passed it on to someone else. Then I fell back on the Harris and was overwhelmed by the thick texture of the cream and the wonderfully blended rose fragrance. I compare the cream to Castle Forbes in texture and performance.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
druphus

Post by druphus »

For me its hard to beat GFT Rose Soap, with D.R. Harris Pink (original rose) splash, GFT Coral Skin Food, and C&S No. 88 Cologne. As far as I'm concerned, this combo provides the ultimate manly "rose fix". :)
Regards,
Andy
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I am using Salter Rose cream (one of the few creams I have left). For me, the scent is exactly smelling a blooming rose on a nice Spring day. Plus it gives wonderful, rich, creamy lather.

Please consider if you are looking for a rose cream.

Ed
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i have a rose shave every sunday.

bulgarian rose cream

thayers rose witch hazel

st. charles shave savory rose a/s

finish with trumpers coral skin food.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
drumana

Post by drumana »

CR Salter's "Wild Rose" is my favorite rose scented product I've come across. GFT Rose soap is a close second.
-Andrew-
Quarterstick

Post by Quarterstick »

CSG wrote:I'd love to try a sample of TOBS but am not gonna pay $5-6 for a bit (when shipping is included) and am hesitant to buy a tub in case I don't care for it. I do like the price of their stuff though by comparison.
Gary/brothers gave me this link in another thread. The price point is pretty reasonable for 6 samples and you can mix and match your selection.

http://www.theshaveden.com/store/index. ... ductId=101

I also stumbled across Taylors samples through Connaught. At around $3 shipped, it is a pretty good deal too.

http://connaughtshaving.com/scsam.html

I personally have yet to try any rose scented products, but there are only a handful creams and soaps I have tried so far. With the discovery of these sample options I will be expanding soon and rose is on the list.
Andy

An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and you have a dime.
CSG

Post by CSG »

Andy, thanks for the link to Connaught! I ordered a sample of the rose and also the avocado. Less than $5.50 shipped.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm glad to learn that Paul at Connaught is also offering Taylor's samples.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
CSG

Post by CSG »

I wrote Taylor's just this morning encouraging them to consider doing a sampler like the other T's.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Rose is certainly one of my favourite scents, and I have no concerns over 'masculinity' when it comes to using it. As you mentioned, it has been used historically by gentlemen for many, many years. Most traditional shaving cream and soap purveyors carry a rose scented product; there is a reason why.

My personal favourite is the T&H Rose. It lathers well, smells great and very importantly isn't as heavily dyed as the Trumper and Harris creams. The Taylor's cream is also lightly dyed, however I don't think the scent is quite on par with the rest.