Wilkinson "Flip Top" Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BullGoose
Vendor

Wilkinson "Flip Top" Razor

Post by BullGoose »

I just purchased a Wilkinson "Flip Top" razor from EbayUK (Thanks for the tip Harvey). This razor was the follow-up to the Wilkinson Sticky and I will be very interested to see how it compares. I will post pictures when it arrives.

Does anyone here have experience with this razor?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Picture Phil?
Regards,
Squire
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Squire wrote:Picture Phil?
I do not have it yet but will post pictures when it arrives.

Here is the link with a few pictures. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300650038300
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Thought that's what you were talking about. I used the plastic Lord flip version quite a bit but that's a different razor.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Can't answer your question, but I have to say that I like the looks!
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

Wow, I never saw a flip-top razor made of metal! Do let us know how it works. Use it only in good health!
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'd never heard of this one before. I couldn't find a U.S. patent for it, either.
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Pauldog wrote:I'd never heard of this one before. I couldn't find a U.S. patent for it, either.
Tsk, tsk, Paul. I seem to remember that 'yasuo' member from years back with photo of his when all this Wilkinson 'sticky' phenomena was at its peak (or that could have just been me, I did have three of them at the time). I tried to find that picture. I failed.

What I want to know yet has anyone found another one of these holy grails yet?
Richard
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Looks like a Personna Precision adjustable razor, made in England just after WWII, and before Personna was acquired by ASR.

Virtually identical to the Gibbs adjustable, except it takes standard DE blades rather than proprietary.

The one in the picture looks in better than new condition. Is it yours?
Odio Barbillas
Location: Via Lactea, Orbis Terra (Sol III), Province of Nova Caesarea

Post by Odio Barbillas »

rustyblade wrote: What I want to know yet has anyone found another one of these holy grails yet?
I don't care for adjustables but that is one sweet-looking precision-made piece of equipment. :)
Michael G.
NON IMPEDITI RATIONE COGITATIONIS
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Rufust445 wrote:Looks like a Personna Precision adjustable razor, made in England just after WWII, and before Personna was acquired by ASR.

Virtually identical to the Gibbs adjustable, except it takes standard DE blades rather than proprietary.

The one in the picture looks in better than new condition. Is it yours?
French, L'Essor de Supreme (or something like that). No, not mine and only one has ever shown up as far as I know. There are more photos in the Collector's Corner post above, page 2 or 3.
Richard
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Rufust445 wrote:
That does look a lot like my Gibbs adjustable but with a chrome handle instead of black. Interesting razor.

- Phil
merkri

Post by merkri »

Both of those are really fantastic-looking razors.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

rustyblade wrote:French, L'Essor de Supreme (or something like that). No, not mine and only one has ever shown up as far as I know. There are more photos in the Collector's Corner post above, page 2 or 3.
Looks like there's at least one more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... NA:US:1123

In not as good condition as in the photo above, and the seller kept it because $547 wasn't enough.
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

I think the seller is member on TheShaveDen.
IAmTheJody

Post by IAmTheJody »

-Jody (the male version)
-My personal web site featuring photo galleries of my razor collection is here.
-My Shave Cave? It's here.
IAmTheJody

Post by IAmTheJody »

Rufust445 wrote:
rustyblade wrote:French, L'Essor de Supreme (or something like that). No, not mine and only one has ever shown up as far as I know. There are more photos in the Collector's Corner post above, page 2 or 3.
Looks like there's at least one more:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... NA:US:1123

In not as good condition as in the photo above, and the seller kept it because $547 wasn't enough.
That seller is also a member at B&B. After buying that Essor for about $11.00 after he convinced the seller to end the eBay listing and sell it direct, he then listed it himself on eBay where the high reserve wasn't met. Then he sold it to B&B member amishmotorboat, no doubt for the same price or close to it. Not a bad investment I'd say for a razor not many people have ever heard of.
-Jody (the male version)
-My personal web site featuring photo galleries of my razor collection is here.
-My Shave Cave? It's here.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

I used the flip top for today's shave and posted in the SOTD. It is a very mild razor and is extremely light (only 56g when loaded with a blade). As a result, I altered my technique and added pressure. I really like the flip top design but prefer the shave from the Wilkinson Sticky. This is only a first impression...I will see how it goes tomorrow.

- Phil
slantman

Post by slantman »

BullGoose wrote:I used the flip top for today's shave and posted in the SOTD. It is a very mild razor and is extremely light (only 56g when loaded with a blade). As a result, I altered my technique and added pressure. I really like the flip top design but prefer the shave from the Wilkinson Sticky. This is only a first impression...I will see how it goes tomorrow.
Try a Feather blade Phil. That might improve the shave without the extra pressure.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

slantman wrote:
BullGoose wrote:I used the flip top for today's shave and posted in the SOTD. It is a very mild razor and is extremely light (only 56g when loaded with a blade). As a result, I altered my technique and added pressure. I really like the flip top design but prefer the shave from the Wilkinson Sticky. This is only a first impression...I will see how it goes tomorrow.
Try a Feather blade Phil. That might improve the shave without the extra pressure.
I used a Polsilver blade which I find to be fairly sharp but will try a Feather to see if there is any improvement.

- Phil