Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
Kyle76

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Post by Kyle76 »

I finally saw this film last night.  It's definitely worth seeing, though you'll be glad if you read the book, and more than once helps. It skips around quite a bit in a different order than the book. Unfortunately, Connie Sachs' character is diminished, and we never actually see Ann Smiley (a shame).  But the mood and tone are spot on, much like Mad Men recreates its time frame so accurately. Excellent sound and cinematography.  There's also a little more graphic violence than I would have expected, but it's not gratuitous. Gary Oldman makes a good Smiley. I wonder if they will do the other two Karla books?  I noticed that LeCarré Is an executive producer.
Last edited by Kyle76 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
HBK42581

Post by HBK42581 »

Fantastic slow burn espionage flick!
Scott "The Heart Break Kid"

jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have read the book three times now, and love it --- but do not plan to go to the movie for personal reasons. LeCarre is still the tops espionage writer ever -- even though his books do require a great deal of focus and study.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
never2close

Post by never2close »

I prefer the faster paced, "English Patient".
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Wendell, I remember you saying they had taken some liberties with the book with which you disagreed. Was it the Peter Guillam character?
Jim
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

never2close wrote:I prefer the faster paced, "English Patient".
Funny you should mention that. I'm a huge fan of "The English Patient" and also the extremely slow-paced Western, "Once Upon a Time in the West."
Jim
Rufus

Post by Rufus »

"The English Patient" bored me to tears and I don't think I actually finished the book. I'm a great fan of Le Carre and have read all his books, but, as Wendell said, his books do require a great deal of focus and study. As concerns George Smiley, how does Gary Oldman compare with Alec Guiness?
paddy

Post by paddy »

'the spy who came in from the cold' is a great book.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

Rufus wrote:
"The English Patient" bored me to tears and I don't think I actually finished the book. I'm a great fan of Le Carre and have read all his books, but, as Wendell said, his books do require a great deal of focus and study. As concerns George Smiley, how does Gary Oldman compare with Alec Guiness?
Oldman surprisingly holds his own. Guiness is Guiness, of course, but Oldman in the roll does not diminish things at all.

As far as The English Patient, I remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine couldn't understand everyone liking it. To each his own.
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I was interested this morning to see that TTSP had only one nomination - Gary Oldman -- interesting.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I would have thought cinematography and sound might get nods.
Jim