R.I.P. - My beloved dog, Mikki

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm so sorry it happened Sam.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sam, I am so sorry to hear this. I will also echo Gareth's and Nathan's sentiments- do not beat yourself up. Perchance, do you have a picture of Mikki you would like to post?
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Nick Freeh

Post by Nick Freeh »

Very sorry to hear of your loss, Sam. A pet really becomes a member of the family, and I can understand your sorrow. Our last pet, a cat, died about 5 years ago and I still miss her. However, we adopted a dog (Cockapoo) from a shelter last summer, and he has brought us nothing but pleasure every single day since he joined our family. He filled a void for my wife and me, and we filled a void for him--a win/win situation. I do think that eventually getting another dog--with the approval of your Cavalier King Charles--would help in the healing.

--Vance
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

So sad. Pets are such valuable and beloved companions. I'm very sorry for your loss, Sam.
Rich
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Mikki

Bentley

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Sorry for your loss Sam

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

P.S. cute pictures. thanks for sharing
de gustibus non est disputandum
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

This tears at the heart, Sam, as I have always had a real soft spot for the animals who add so much to our lives. I can well appreciate your grief and I know from personal experience that guilt can add a crushing weight to the sorrow. We make calculated risks every day based on the statistics of personal experience, and over all we come out way ahead. Even so, as part of the human condition, we cannot escape the occasional miscalculation and mistake. No one could ever say that you didn't want the very best for Mikki or that it wasn't your intention to keep her safe. I hope you can overcome the guilt and find peace in your loss.

Take care, my friend -

- Murray
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sam, a true sweetie.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
brothers

Post by brothers »

I know how much it hurts, I'm still grieving for my old dog friend and it's been decades since he got sick and died. We come across old pictures of him still. He was my friend, and the passage of time never changes that. It's great you've got pictures of Mikki that you can enjoy and treasure.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
aircraft_electrician

Post by aircraft_electrician »

Sam, as a pet owner (3 dogs and 2 cats) I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. The grief of losing a friend is hard enough without adding guilt to it, don't beat yourself up about it.

Yes, dogs miss lost friends as much as we do. Our Rottweiler/Dingo mix wasn't herself for quite some time after we lost our Pitbull last spring, but she came around, and we're hoping she and the mini Dachshund warm up to the Dane puppy we brought home this week.
A razor is a good deal like a gun, much depends on the man behind it - paraphrased from John Philip Sousa

ALWAYS wear a helmet when on 2 wheels; a helmet saved my life on 1Oct2007!
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

Sorry to hear about this, Sam. Don't beat yourself up too much, though.
Regards,
Mike
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Oh dear. Something similar happened to one of my dogs. The guilt is natural. But speaking as one who's been run down (55mph-worth of Moto Guzzi) the only thing that goes through your mind is a flash of light and you think "Hello...?" And then you either wake up or you don't wake up.

The loss of your canine companion is a bad thing. Every dog we own will die; that in itself is a bad thing. But... your dog Exultantly asserted itself and ran off chasing its own path (an enticing smell, an interesting sound, leaves rustling, could have been anything; we don't know their world) and exercising its rights as an individual animal, probably inwardly shouting with joy. And then a flash of light and

.... that's that. Last moments on earth happy and untrammelled, you can bet. Since it's not your fault and since your dog doubtless had a fine life and a sudden end, there's no objective reason to feel guilty. Doesn't stop it of course, but there it is.

As they say, "It's not the destination | It's the glory of the ride."

I like the epitaph for Lord Byron's dog, whose grave my father used to take me to see at Newstead Abbey, which begins:

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferosity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
BOATSWAIN, a DOG,
who was born in Newfoundland May 1803
and died at Newstead Nov. 18, 1808.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I have read that dogs' lives were made so short so that we might know more of them, if you are of the 'take another canker to thine eye' school of thought. Otherwise, you have my condolences.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
95%

Post by 95% »

Since we are venturing into English poetry, I'll submit Dr. Johnson's epitaph, written at age 5, upon the death of a favorite duck:

Here lies poor Duck
That Samuel Johnson trod on;
If it had liv'd it had been good luck,
For it would have been an odd one.
Porter
wenestvedt

Post by wenestvedt »

Sorry about the news, Sam. I remember all the dogs I've ever owned, good and bad. Time heals &c., but some of that time is hard to pass. Take care.

- Will
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

I'm sorry to hear this, Sam....I know this is a difficult loss.
Lynn
slantman

Post by slantman »

I feel terrible about hearing this. Being an animal lover it really hurts.
sgtrecon212

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Very tough to lose a beloved pet. It has happened to me a couple of times..

So sorry for your great loss.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

Sorry for your loss Sam. I lost one of my cats this morning.