Anoyone Else Use Moleskine Journals?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
jww
Woolly Bully

Anoyone Else Use Moleskine Journals?

Post by jww »

Some of you may recall how I have commented on my poor handwriting, and so I do most of my "writing" on a keyboard. I do use a notebook for work, however, as I find it easier to carry it around and jot down things to do, etc. rather than carry my ThinkPad around with me. Of course, arguably my phone would work, but I don't want to entirely divorce myself from paper and pen.

So --- anyway, yesterday I picked up a couple of Moleskines -- one fits into the cover I have been using for a Cambridge spiral notebook and the other is pocket-sized. Oh my goodness -- I had no idea that I could ever enjoy putting pen to paper like this. There is something about the paper quality that makes it a true pleasure to write on. They are indeed very expensive, but I think I would say they are worth it.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

Wendell, I couldn't agree more. I love them, but agree they are a bit too expensive. I liked my 8x5 version, but I really want the larger size...they look perfect for my needs. Writing with a rollerball or fountain pen is a dream in them.

Funny thing - I like them now, but I wish I could have used them back in their original release...they are reported to have been even better! But, like all things...they fell out of favor, may have even gone away for a while, then were brought back. I think they are made in China now.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I use one for journaling. A couple years ago I gave them to all my relatives as Christmas stocking stuffer gifts, plain paper ones for those with a journaling bent and graphed paper ones for those more likely to draw/design.
_______
John
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

I like them but agree on the price. A few years ago Border's (RIP) carried the Piccadilly knockoff brand, and the one I had was great; when I bought another one more recently, Piccadilly had changed their paper far for the worse.

I've been trying to get back into some form of journaling but suffer from the same sort of handwriting problems as Wendell - even if I start out OK, within a few lines I'm back to indistinguishable letters and a hand cramp. Thus I've started using EverNote, a computer-based note software with both a Web interface and a desktop client. One of our courses this semester is geared toward making us better writers, with the ultimate goal of publication; I've been trying to force myself to write a little every day in EverNote to clean up my prose.

But, for pen and paper, Moleskine can't be beat ('tho I think the jazz about da Vinci, Hemingway, etc. is a load of you-know-what).
Regards,
Mike
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

I started journalling after Devin got hurt just so I could sort my thoughts. Moleskines have definitely been the way to go. I got a cover for mine from InkLeaf leather. Have fun. The Moleskines are great.

- Tye
Contributing Member to the Cause
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I like these as an alternative:
http://piccadillyinc.com/products/notebooks
Ron
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

rsp1202 wrote:I like these as an alternative:
Ron, do you know the paper situation on these? The first one I owned was made of paper very, very similar to the Moleskine-type stock; the second felt more like a cheap spiral-bound notebook.
Regards,
Mike
druphus

Post by druphus »

rsp1202 wrote:I like these as an alternative:
Agreed! ANd here are some that are heavily discounted:

http://www.daedalusbooks.com/Products/S ... mage1.y=13

I recently bought enough - in three sizes with both hard and soft covers - to last my lifetime.
Regards,
Andy
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I use Moleskins at work, too. One for taking notes at meetings and another for the most favourite things to do.
Eric
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

When I picked up mine in Chapters the other day, they also had a Peter Pauper Keep Calm and Carry On journal, which I picked up for my daughter. She is a massive fan of the message, history and movement behind this message.

The paper isn't near a good as my Moleskines are - but the design is virtually identical - I am surprised that there is not some kind of patent infringement on these knock-offs -- many of them even have the pocket on the back cover.

I am so enthralled with writing in these -- I gotta now find a good roller ball pen to go with it. I recall my wife picking up a really nice Mont Blanc roller ball that I wouldn't mind owning myself -- since my birthday is coming up soon, I am now thinking to I want some cross-country skis or a nice pen. Hmmm -- decisions, decisions.
Wendell

Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

jww wrote:When I picked up mine in Chapters the other day, they also had a Peter Pauper Keep Calm and Carry On journal, which I picked up for my daughter. She is a massive fan of the message, history and movement behind this message.

The paper isn't near a good as my Moleskines are - but the design is virtually identical - I am surprised that there is not some kind of patent infringement on these knock-offs -- many of them even have the pocket on the back cover.

I am so enthralled with writing in these -- I gotta now find a good roller ball pen to go with it. I recall my wife picking up a really nice Mont Blanc roller ball that I wouldn't mind owning myself -- since my birthday is coming up soon, I am now thinking to I want some cross-country skis or a nice pen. Hmmm -- decisions, decisions.
Try pencity.com if your looking for pens. They have a good selection and the people are good to deal with also.

-Tye
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I picked up several of the Pics at a Borders in San Francisco a couple years ago. I thought everything marginally cheaper than the Moles. Since the Borders down south here have closed, I've used M's since they can be had at Barnes & Noble. Frankly, I'll go with whatever I can get; my speling and grammar ain't that good.
Ron
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I use the one that has a week-to-view diary on the left and a lined page for notes facing on the right. I've used one for reminders for years.
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Yes, I use them, and they are probably the best quality notebooks that are readily available on the high street.

If you think Moleskine are expensive though, try Smythson....

Gareth
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

As if any of us needed another addiction in our lives, here's a site for Moleskine nuts:

http://www.moleskinerie.com/

jt
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

I trained in karate for 20+ years and recorded details from almost every lesson and course in tatty old notebooks which I later copied into Moleskine Journals. They were handy for lesson plans and what-not.

Didn't keep them though. I stopped karate about 6 years ago and when I was de-cluttering I threw them out.

I still record details of any training I'm doing ... but I'm back to tatty old notebooks and a Bic biro.

£15 is a lot for a lump of dead tree, to me.
Tye
Watch this space!

Post by Tye »

It looks like the Piccadilly notebooks may be of higher quality.

-Tye
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Gareth wrote:...

If you think Moleskine are expensive though, try Smythson....

Gareth
Gulp!!! :shock:
Wendell

Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Wendell, I know.

I usually buy myself to a small pocket diary from there (approx £40), and always use their writing stationary which is a little more reasonable.

Their products are expensive, but stunningly beautiful to own and use. The paper is wonderful to write on, and most diaries and notebooks are bound in soft lamb or pigskin leather. They're a real treat to have.

Gareth
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I was inspired to order four Piccadillys from Daedalus. Two medium and two small notebooks. I hope I can find a use for them.
Jim