In the Fridge?

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
daniel051

In the Fridge?

Post by daniel051 »

Gentlemen,

Does anyone keep cologne and aftershave in the fridge? I don't, but I wonder if I should seeing as the temperature does climb high in these parts during the summer.

The idea first came to me last August. As I prepared to move, I found some forgotten bottles of skin food. They must have been six or seven years old. The colour had changed as had the consistency. The smell was off, too. Now, skin food doesn't contain alcohol and Trumper's comes in a plastic bottle. Perhaps that changes everything, but I was curious as to what you all thought.

Regards,
Daniel
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I treat my alcohol based scents like my meager, but cherished single malt scotch collection; a cool dark place in the closet. In extreme heat a fridge will be o.k. You may see clouding in some formulae
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Daniel I might if I got some from an estate that were, say, 50 years old, but for recent stock, no.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I don't think it'll hurt anything as long as it doesn't freeze. But is it required? Totally clueless here. If it makes you feel better, it's definitely cool, and it's dark, nothing bad there, so what's the harm?
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, I don't know. Our esteemed collegue, Mr. Bargepole, recommends the fridge for century old bottles, but not personally having any over around 45 years old, I haven't bothered. I did have one bottle of Creed Bois du Portugal go 'off' on me, but other than that I've never had any problems with scent stored at room temperature ( which means with A/C here most of the year just to be clear ).

Regards,
Gordon
franz

Post by franz »

I keep a bottle of witch hazel in the fridge. I love the cold water rinse in the postshave routine and this is just a continuation of that, I guess.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Skin Food can change colors but it will be ok.

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Light is the real enemy - those photons break down chemical bonds very fast. A day or two in the sunlight can ruin some aromachemicals for ever.

I use the fridge for ancient or very delicate things, a dark cupboard for most. Occasionally, as KAV says, some oils will go cloudy <10°C. An hour at room temp. will solve that.

Applying the stuff straight from cold storage isn't necessarily a great idea, though. Like eggs for an omelette, let it become chambré before squirting. Not that one squirts eggs around. Or if one does, one is on the wrong forum here. 8)
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
slantman

Post by slantman »

I don't see how it would hurt. In particular I think a menthol loaded splash on a hot summer day would be fantastic.
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

I keep them in my closet. Luca Turin keeps them on a shelf in the living room

So I think this is in "relax, don't worry" territory, though with a solution as viscus as Skin Food I'd be afraid it would separate or something.

EDIT:Sorry, I can't fix the URL!

Admin Edit: I can! (Chris #1, no relation to Nikki either)
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Her name escapes me at the moment but the soap mistress of the now defunct "Gentlemens Quarter" suggested keeping her branded A/S in the frig especially in the summer months.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
Araner

Post by Araner »

My bottles of Aqua Velva and Skin Bracer reside in my medicine cabinet and seem to survive quite nicely there.

Mike
Ken

Post by Ken »

As far as light is concerned, just keep them in their boxes.

Ken
brothers

Post by brothers »

I've got a 45 year old bottle of English Leather that's been sitting in a dark cabinet the entire time. :lol: Still stinks, though!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
cryhavoc

Post by cryhavoc »

I keep mine in my medicine cabinet and under the sink. No problems so far
Jay
"Hello Floyd, this is Barney Fife. Who's in the chair...well
get rid of 'em. I'm coming over and I'm ready for action!
That's right, I want the works...shave, haircut, witch hazel,
O.D. cologne, toilet water...If it smells I want it!"
Silky Glide

Post by Silky Glide »

I keep my Castle Forbes Lime and Lavender balms in the refrigerator as well as Trumpers Extract of Limes, Superior 70 Bay Rum and Booster Iced Limes and Mandarin Splashes. It keeps them nice, cool and out of the sunlight, especially on a hot day in the summertime.