bad report from the doctor, ok to keep it a secret?

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
matt321

bad report from the doctor, ok to keep it a secret?

Post by matt321 »

My dear mother is in her 80's and is somewhat emotionally fragile.

My sister and brother are near my age and are both healthy.

I have aunts and uncles living in other States.

I have many close friends and neighbors.

So if I get a bad health report from the doctor, is it ok to keep it a secret? :?
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I personally think it's your right to share as much or as little as you wish. I don't think you "owe" it to family or friends to tell them everything, regardless of their wishes or emotional needs. When I was in medical practice, I frequently had patients share intimate personal details of their health, which they asked me not to tell their spouses. Relationships are complicated, as are health issues, and full disclosure is not always best.
_______
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

It would be such a personal decision, and if disclosed, to whom, for what reason, and when, over the course of time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
giammi

Post by giammi »

Do as you feel is the best for you and your family and don't care about what other people might think.

The downside of not telling them is that they will not be able to give you support when you need some. And support from your family and friends can sometimes be a good medicine. But they should also respect those moments when you don't want to talk about your health issue or just be left alone to clear up your mind.

Wish you all the best.
Giammi

Camminare sul filo del rasoio
function

Post by function »

It is your health, and your discretion to share or not to share.

If you choose not to do anything about your condition(providing anything can be done), I reserve the right to judge you.
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Unless your personal health has become public health, do as you wish.

If it's something communicable that they need to know about for their health I think that would be important info for them to have. Otherwise? It's yours to with as you wish.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
numcks

Post by numcks »

You have to do what feels right. All I can say is whatever the report, I wish the best for you and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Cheers,
Mike
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

No comment from me other than to say that whatever is wrong with you, I hope you have a speedy recovery

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've dealt with the same issues, both in my personal and professional life, and there is no clear answer.
Regards,
Squire
Furrball2

Post by Furrball2 »

I frequently tell patients that it is their information. However, I have seen families have more difficulty in dealing with a rapid decline since they had no idea anything, widely metastatic cancer, was going on. Then out of nowhere, the husband and father was transitioning to hospice.
Pen: Namiki
Razor: Merkur (Vision 2000) now 38C
Blades: Feather
Brush: Muhle-Pimsel silvertip
SureFire Executive Defender
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:...there is no clear answer.
+1

From your perspective it could be a bad thing to do -- depending on a bunch of things. From the perspective of your family, however, it could have other repercussions. I think that anything that could be in any way hereditary or genetic in nature may well warrant sharing with siblings, children, etc. But in the end it's your call. If I had a life threatening disease -- like cancer -- I would probably give the benefit of the doubt to my relations. If it was something chronic, perhaps less so.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
brothers

Post by brothers »

Matt hasn't posted for a few weeks now. Matt, my friend, you're in my thoughts and prayers now. God bless!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

brothers wrote:Matt hasn't posted for a few weeks now. Matt, my friend, you're in my thoughts and prayers now. God bless!
+1