Ooooohhhhhh Gordon......

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
drumana

Post by drumana »

bernards66 wrote:Andrew, "...too lazy for tubs..."....yeesss....I hate to admit it but I'm tending that way too. I mean, I do love the look of those Trumper, and similiar, old school pots but it's just so much easier, tidyer, and precise to simply squeeze out a specific length of cream from a tube. Sigh...it's come to this....pitiful really but there you are.

Gordon
G - I'm learning to never underestimate the power of my laziness. With shave cream in a tub, it probably takes me about 10 seconds to complete the task of putting shave cream into my bowl or on my brush and get to lathering. With a tube, it takes me about 3 - 5 seconds. So, there.
-Andrew-
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I like tubes for all the reasons cited so far. But they *have* to be metal. I especially hate the Taylor's plastics.

I go back long enough to remember Gillette and Palmolive shaving cream in tubes--only tubes--and nice metal ones at that, available in every U.S. drugstore.

So I have also emailed Trumpers to express my fondness for their excellent metal tubes and my disappointment that Spanish Leather is in plastic :evil:

Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's cheaper in plastic! :shock: How could anything be more important than being cheap?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Short Round

Post by Short Round »

brothers wrote:
LouisIII wrote:
brothers wrote:When Gordon has a chance to review it, and if he recommends it, then I'll buy it.
Gordolotry :shock:
Not really, he seldom if ever reviews new products, even though he does recommend them, and at the present time he's not posting much. So I figure I can kill two birds with one stone. I can declare that I'm possibly interested, but you notice I didn't say I am going to buy it. I only said if two things happen, both centered around a knowledgeable but seldom seen participant, then I'd buy it afterwards. I've given myself credibility at no current obligation to act. I thought of this clever plan only after I caught myself with 2 tubes in my shopping cart at the GFT website, and came close to spending over $40 on a blind impulse. I've done that WAY too many times, and am now finding ways to "talk about doing something, but not really DOING it." That's what politicians do, universally, and it works every time for those folks.

[Guiness guys] Simply Brilliant!!! [/Guiness guys]

I need to try that. I tend to get carried away at times. With blades it's kind of ok, but with soaps and creams you'll end up losing the scent if you don't get to it in a timely manner. I think I have enough soaps, cremes, and blades for 5 or 6 years. Yeah, I'm a piker compared to many.
Tom
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paddy, Well, on the quality issue; pots vs tubes, I tend to agree and have made that arguement here many times. I also don't know if it's objectively 'true' but that has been my overall impression as well. But even so, I find myself tending more to the tubes these days...at least the metal Trumper ones, for the reasons stated above. It's a victory of laziness over aesthetics I guess....which is rather sad and is not the way I'd prefer to see myself....sigh....
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Greg I don't 'hate' Taylors in a plastic tube but I do dislike the caps which tend to break more often than those of other brands.
Regards,
Squire
Ken

Post by Ken »

I have come to prefer tubes because they don't dry out the way pots do. As for metal, while it is nice to have, plastic tubes get the job done just as well, as far as I can tell. I agree with Squire about the caps and the new Trumper caps are a step backward (because it is difficult to keep the tube in a vertical position).

Ken