Mulcuto slant razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Mulcuto slant razor

Post by brothers »

A plain jane and crooked little razor but it shaves as well as any. It actually shaves wonderfully. Loaded it up this morning with a new Derby and got an excellent shave. I took a chance on it and when I saw it in person, I was feeling that I'd probably wasted my money. That made me feel bad, but I talked myself into trying it. It's old and its head is unlike any other double edge razor, 3 piece. No markings. Chrome plated. A nicely done metal handle with grooves and moderate designs. It's a slant, but not a Merkur. The top piece is the key. The little razor is not as gentle as a tech or a super speed. It's not noticeably aggressive either. Whoever did the math/engineering/design on the head was just flat good. I hope he patented his design, but there are no markings, so no way I know of to find out who it was or when or where it was made. It came with a very nice shiny metal box in good condition, and a box of 1930's era Gillette Thin blades (red and black). A full box of 10 blades. I wanted badly to open one and shave with it, but chickened out. I didn't even deem this razor worthy of one of my prized Personna HU blades, because I had prejudged it because it looks so different. Used a loose Derby blade from a batch of toss-ins I've accumulated. I was amazed all day long as I continued to feel how close and smooth it shaved.

Last edited by brothers on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
dosco

Post by dosco »

Fascinating ...
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

It looks like the head would practically force perfect blade angle by the user.
changabang

Post by changabang »

Never seen anything like it. Kav's probably right. Maybe manufactured by Moties. It's alien enough.
James Nicks
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I like it. Call it a "Tech HD Slant"
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
IAmTheJody

Post by IAmTheJody »

Not for sure but if I were able to bet money on it, I'd say it's a Mulcuto made DE from the 1930s, made in Solingen, Germany by Mulcuto Werk. The handle definitely screams Mulcuto and they did have a head like that.
-Jody (the male version)
-My personal web site featuring photo galleries of my razor collection is here.
-My Shave Cave? It's here.
dosco

Post by dosco »

5 minutes on google yielded this similar-looking safety razor.

IAmTheJody could be on target.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I knew someone would locate something. Thanks guys! Mulcuto. There are definite similarities. Mine could be an early or a late example. I'm not surprised the razor's design was a prize winner.

Edit: I read the German forum, and it is noted there that the Mulcuto was made in Solingen, Germany by Paul Muller & Co. Won an award in 1932 for design.

I'm pleased to note also that reviews of the other guys are similar to my own observation that it isn't overly aggressive, and it shaves remarkably well, due to the design of the head.
Last edited by brothers on Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Shave #2 with the Mulcuto and the Derby was surprisingly smooth. I'm beginning to realize this is a different type of animal. After the Derby's short life is done, it'll be time for a heavy hitter blade to have a go in the crooked little razor.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

I was wondering what that word meant - Mul-cut-o (Mulcuto). It's probably the obvious and most simple answer: Mr. Muller, owner of Muller Cultery took the first 3 letters of Muller and the first 3 letters of Cutlery, put them together and added an o. :lol:

And amazingly, Mulcuto made their own special DE blades, on one side, the edge is marked "first shave", meaning the user would make his first pass with the side marked first shave, and the other edge is marked "second shave". It's hollow ground on the second shave side, if memory serves correctly. The two edges are ground differently from one another.

Here's why I say that's amazing: yesterday a guy was selling 5 NOS boxes of (10 each) Mulcuto blades at a fairly decent buy it now price, so now I've got 50 new Mulcuto blades to go with my old Mulcuto razor. And no, I'm not going to use even one blade. Thought about it, but it would be a waste of a collector-grade old unique blade. Better to keep them intact to go into future with the fantastic super smooth shaving crooked little razor.
Gary

RazoRock

Post by RazoRock »

I enjoy using my 37C so much that now I have to locate me one of these slants... looks like a very nice design.
brothers

Post by brothers »

RazoRock wrote:I enjoy using my 37C so much that now I have to locate me one of these slants... looks like a very nice design.
Neither I nor the person I bought it from had the first clue about it. The seller thought it was a Wilkinson Sword razor for no reason other than it had 2 wilkinson sword blades in the box. I paid more for it than I wanted to, but of course, now that I've come to realize what it is, I'm very happy that it found its way to me, and it's worth every penny. I really hope you can locate one Joseph.
Gary

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Very interesting, very unique.

A sort of Quasimoto razor.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

That, I like.
Trumperman
Bill Extraordinaire

Post by Trumperman »

Seamaster wrote:That, I like.

Ditto for me!

Regards,

Bill
Don't think......shave.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm wondering which razors would be Esmeralda and Phoebus?
Gary

nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Sanctuary! :shock:
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

vpayne

Post by vpayne »

Saw one like it on Ebay about 6 weeks back, bit not willing to pay the price to get it. Glad to hear it shaves good. I'll consider it more seriously if I see one again as I am a slant kind of guy.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

It is a nice looking razor.

Do the aesthetics of the razor affect the shave at all?

Is it an aggressive or tame shave?
Ed
brothers

Post by brothers »

scruffy wrote:It is a nice looking razor.

Do the aesthetics of the razor affect the shave at all?

Is it an aggressive or tame shave?
Ed, it shaves wonderfully. The Mulcuto is not noticeably aggressive. The first time I used it I was amazed to feel how close and smooth it shaved, and it lasted all day long. The face feel of the razor is deceptive because it feels very comfortable during the shave, but the result is noticeably close and smooth without any burn or irritation after the shave. As I observed earlier, it's probably a result of the unique design. Too bad nobody else (with the possible exception of Merkur's Slant, in some way) seems to have figured out what's unique about it. Somehow, it's got more going for it than just the slant.
Gary