Kent BK8 Review

What kind of shaving brush do you use? Tell us all about it!
river1

Post by river1 »

I have the H8 which I assume is the same thing but with a Horn handle. Also, recently I bought the BK12 and absolutely love it although it is a big boy. They are pure luxury. Does anyone know why they are marked PURE instead of Silvertips?
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

We really don't know. We speculate that it is simply an indication that the brush contains ONLY badger bristle, ie, is not mixed with boar bristle or anything else. Kent makes badger brushes of a lesser grade of badger than the BK models but they are all simply marked 'Pure'. Who knows?...the better shaving brush makers are all eccentric.
Regards,
Gordon
river1

Post by river1 »

Yep, the 8 and 12 are two of my favorites and as a bonus the shapenof the handle is outstanding to use and even better to hang from the brush holders. There is nothing that I don't like about them especially the softness
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Matt

I'm also a real fan of the BK8, which I bought after years of using the smaller BK2, which incidently is an ideal travel brush I might add. Your right though the BK8 is a little floppier than say the Simpson Chubby 2, but I think its an excellent go to brush. Hope you enjoy it for many years to come.
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

The so-called floppy aspect of the BK series is what I like most about my 4 and 8. The 4 makes a nice travel brush, and I used the 8 very often until my current brush that I use exclusively came along about 4 months ago.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Fido

Post by Fido »

river1 wrote:I have the H8 which I assume is the same thing but with a Horn handle. Also, recently I bought the BK12 and absolutely love it although it is a big boy. They are pure luxury. Does anyone know why they are marked PURE instead of Silvertips?
I asked Kent about this on their Facebook page.

This is their response:

"It's a historical reason. When we first started making shaving brushes, grades of badger hair weren't common place - what was common place was mixing other hairs with badger hair to make the brushes cheaper to manufacture (not something we did) - hence the 'pure badger' stamp."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ha!....so my supposition was correct afterall ( see above ). I must think of a way to give myself a treat for my astuteness....I'm sure I'll think of something....
Regards,
Gordon
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

=D> =D> =D> =D>

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum