compounding- and confounding

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

compounding- and confounding

Post by KAV »

My last bar of Pre de Provence body soap is @ 50%
It's a nice soap, but I've found MWF so good for my face the rest of me
wants lanolin.
I've been pondering the different oils; lanolin, palm nut, shea butter and olive oil.
These are all decent products. Some have social liabilities ( palm oil) and some I simply like on my salad better.
I've noticed some makers use combinations. I don't know if this is a good idea or just confusing :? ?
wvbias

Post by wvbias »

I can see the soap maker now as he
paces around a cauldron of bubbling
goo an insane grimacing smile on
his face. Meanwhile out in the
countryside his hunchbacked
assistant searches for the next
exotic ingredient ....

Of course all of this takes place
under a full moon while off in
the distance a wolf howls....

Terry
slackskin

Palm Oil

Post by slackskin »

KAV - What are the social liabilities associated with palm oil? Seems that I am ignorant.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Palm oil production exploded with demand. This led to increased production within diversified forest or even plantation production to
large 'monoculture' operations. Like so many other extractive ventures
this has had environmental and cultural impacts in many countries.
There has been some legislation to reverse the damage.
Think of a good BLT and then the huge hog farms on the east coast with
water pollution from the waste ponds. Now, I like BLTs so I only buy traditionally cured ham products that give these intelligent animals a life.
I use Mitchell's Wool Fat. English farms, many saved by Beatrix Potter have raised sheep for generations. I am supporting the farmers and land preservation ( think 'townies' in the AS TIME GOES BY episode)
I am waiting to learn the names of the sheep that produced my pucks.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm so confused . . .
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Is not the rise of palm oil also due to the weenies wailing about tallow?.
Can you steal from Peter to appease Paul?. I are truly tired of vegans, get off my planet!. /rant
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

KAV wrote:I am waiting to learn the names of the sheep that produced my pucks.
They are all called 'Dolly'.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Christopher, if I may be so bold as to make a recommendation, actually now I don't know if you were seeking one.
You mention lanolin, I hear you, I am a fan.
I have recently been converted, "seen the light" if you will, to the, dare I say genius, of the RazoRock soaps. (All in the least religious sort of way)
Italian style soaps with the performance to match, and many different scents. My new 888 arrived recently which prompted me order two more of their soaps this morning.
But here is the pertinence to this situation; THEY CONTAIN LANOLIN. At least the two new varieties, 888 (eucalyptus) and the King Louis (lavender).
So if you are looking for something, and like I said I am not sure that you are, I would consider these.
In fact, you might be one of the lucky few that could possibly perform a sniff test prior to buying.
And I just double checked, they also (the newest variety which I mostly speak of) contain Shea Butter... huh, also Sweet Almond Oil; that can't hurt.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Remember --- no sheep are harmed in the creation of MWF -- palm oil? Well someone has to tap the sap -- I can't imagine that having a great stick poked into you while you bleed your lifeblood can be that comfortable a thing to experience.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

joe mcclaine wrote:
KAV wrote:I am waiting to learn the names of the sheep that produced my pucks.
They are all called 'Dolly'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2LBICPEK6w
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
KAV

Post by KAV »

I was dating this tall,willowy brunette; cross between Ali McGraw and Katherine Hepburn. She insisted we have lunch one day at FOLLOW YOUR HEART-THE vegan restaurant and early organic store in the San Fernando Valley.
I'm making progress on my peanut butter on whole wheat sandwich and bannana shake when Anne says " So, I bet YOU'VE never been here before!
Forcing my jaw to work around the peanut butter I mumbled 'Annie, I've been coming to this old building since 1957 with my grandpa. This used to be Larry's butcherhop and our family would buy a half beef carcass every 3 months after it had hung in the locker to age.
Silence, except for a astrologer midway into a reading weeping and this guy in a Che Guevara tshirt and black beret trying without success to control his stomach.
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

OMG!!! A cross between Katherine Hepburn and Ali McGraw? I would go to a vegetarian anytime with someone like that.
Jim
brothers

Post by brothers »

I would pretend to be gluten free just to have an opportunity for a long free ranging conversation with a tall willowy vegan. I know one lady, maybe 2, whom I am fortunate to work with, professing to meet those qualifications. They are very pleasant to be around, and I am starting to think all vegans are probably going to be described as willowy.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

KAV wrote: '... This used to be Larry's butcherhop and our family would buy a half beef carcass every 3 months after it had hung in the locker to age.

Silence, except for a astrologer midway into a reading weeping and this guy in a Che Guevara tshirt and black beret trying without success to control his stomach.
Too funny -- I am still trying to pick myself off the floor from laughing so hard! :lol:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
ockhams's razor

Post by ockhams's razor »

m3m0ryleak wrote:Is not the rise of palm oil also due to the weenies wailing about tallow?.
Can you steal from Peter to appease Paul?. I are truly tired of vegans, get off my planet!. /rant
i believe the increased demand for palm oils has arisen because of the increased price of oil and the consequent increased demand for biofuels.
Last edited by ockhams's razor on Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"always act like you belong to be here." (serge storms, hurricane punch by tim dorsey).
ockhams's razor

Post by ockhams's razor »

jww wrote:Remember --- no sheep are harmed in the creation of MWF -- palm oil? Well someone has to tap the sap -- I can't imagine that having a great stick poked into you while you bleed your lifeblood can be that comfortable a thing to experience.
palm oils are derived from the fruit of the palm not the sap.
"always act like you belong to be here." (serge storms, hurricane punch by tim dorsey).
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

KAV wrote: This used to be Larry's butcherhop and our family would buy a half beef carcass every 3 months after it had hung in the locker to age.
Excellent comeback Chris, I bet she ran out the door and you never saw her again. :lol: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
KAV

Post by KAV »

No, it turns out she was two timing me with a married music prof on campus who was two timing her with yet a third mutual friend. He told her I was 'just another freshman punk he could stomp like an ant.'
That monday all 4 wheels on his VW bus came off in the teachers parking lot. Tuesday his office door locks were found epoxied. Wednesday his wife got an irate call from a freshman student saying she was pregnant ( My friend Blanche the waitress at a local greasy spoon.) Thursday he was sprinting around campus looking behind him. I was waiting in the mens room after he discovered the light switch was disabled.Friday she filed for divorce.
The late 70s were a interesting time as vets encountered their counterparts who became professional students and then teachers to avoid Viet Nam, skipping adulthood and real world experiences into the perpetual womb and tomb of academia.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They're there yet Chris and protest is still their mantra. A long time ago I learned when a guy turned to me in a bar and said 'I wish I'd gone to Viet Nam' I could pretty much disregard anything else he had to say.
Regards,
Squire
KAV

Post by KAV »

Squire,
I was 'redirected' to UC Santa Cruz for a quarter because Bizerkelie was over enrolled.
That was the first year a large contingent of L.A. punk rockers showed up for classes.I think the ESTABLISHMENT, now over 30 balding hippie teachers did everything but circle their VWs like musk ox. I had over 2 years field archaeology and my anthro prof ( ex anglican priest in the Philipines ) was sometimes pushed hard to keep up with my working knowledge.
Somehow Angela Davis became a guest lecturer :? I tookapart most of the nonsence she was spewing first day. I later learned she said ' that guy is DANGEROUS.'
I consider myself all over the political spectrum depending on the subject.
The great lesson I learned in College was the decidely minority conservatives were usually the best teachers working under terrible prejudice from the majority of these armchair heroes.
Anyway, that's how I ended up protesting redwood clearcutting in a 3 piece suit with a bunch of Deadheads and thinking about 'appropiate technologies and consumerism.' Think Globally, buy( english,spanish,german,russian,indian,pakistani,israeli,turkish,french,italian shaving products) locally":lol: