Rocking Russian Anthem

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
GregPQ

Rocking Russian Anthem

Post by GregPQ »

I have never been much of a fan of sports. Or of Russians.
Then I saw this.
Greg
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have always had the greatest respect and adoration for the Russian national anthem -- this arrangement, well, it doesn't quite do it for me. Brian May playing God Save the Queen on the roof of Buckingham Palace -- now that's cool.

ymmv
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Great stuff Greg, thanks for the link.
Regards,
Squire
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

There's a great scene in "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" where the staff of The Circus sing the anthem at a drunken Christmas bash. It's quite an effective mood-setting scene.
Jim
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

I didn't really understand Russian music until I watched this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tco7UoAG33M
paddy

Post by paddy »

the 3 best national anthems (excluding the irish one of course - 'cos we know the soldier song is definitely the best!):

1. wales (if you haven't heard Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau - translated in English as 'Land of my Fathers' - then do youself a favour.))

2. russia

3. france
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Being impartial one of the most stirring I have ever seen was the Red Army choir singing the Russian National anthem in Quebec City at the start of one of the Canada/Russia hockey summits, I watched it live on tv and remember getting goosebumps, the crowds reaction was one of the best things I have seen from Quebec.
Good shaving,

Gary
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

paddy wrote: 1. wales (if you haven't heard Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau - translated in English as 'Land of my Fathers' - then do youself a favour.))
I had the great fortune of visiting Caernarfon Castle a few years ago. While an egregious anachronism (I would imagine), listening to the anthem conjures images of that castle holding out against an English siege.

<ducks the flames of English SMFers>
Regards,
Mike
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Mike,

That's an unlikely scenario as it was an English castle. It was built by Edward I to help control Wales.

Regards,
Rick
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Indeed.

Been to many of Edward's "ring of iron" myself in my travels to the UK -- fabulous history and lore both in and around the castles themselves.

http://www.castlewales.com/edward1.html
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

gruffydd3 wrote:Mike,

That's an unlikely scenario as it was an English castle. It was built by Edward I to help control Wales.

Regards,
Rick
It would appear I've been schooled :lol: Thanks for the lesson!

But my fun imaginary scene stands - now the Welsh are the one besieging the castle :D
Regards,
Mike
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Mike and Wendell,

I wish I was able to see them in person. I've wanted to since I was a young child.

Regards,
Rick
maskaggs

Post by maskaggs »

gruffydd3 wrote:Mike and Wendell,

I wish I was able to see them in person. I've wanted to since I was a young child.

Regards,
Rick
I'd like to see some more of them, Rick. I didn't know their history when I was there (and have clearly forgotten it since), but they're quite impressive. Now that I've been reminded, though, it's rather sobering that they're tourist sites in Wales now but probably weren't received very well when they were built.
Regards,
Mike