New Dirty Bird One Piece Brush Scuttle

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
LookingGlass

New Dirty Bird One Piece Brush Scuttle

Post by LookingGlass »

All,

Tim graciously allowed me to purchase this scuttle and I am glad he did. Nice size; keeps the lather warm for a number of passes. Also, it is a unique glazing.

Highly recommended.

Ed

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Very nice, Ed!

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
celestino

Post by celestino »

Is that the Dirty Bird Small Bird travel scuttle? i have one! Great little things. Congrats.
bennay

Post by bennay »

I was actually thinking about ordering one of those. The colours were throwing me off but yours looks very nice!
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

bennay wrote:I was actually thinking about ordering one of those. The colours were throwing me off but yours looks very nice!
I purchased this scuttle from a fellow SMF member and did not order it from Julie at DB pottery. The original purchaser worked with DB to get this color and glaze. I was fortunate to pick up this piece due to the unique glazing and color.

Perhaps you can contact DB concerning a specific glaze/color??

Ed
brucered

Post by brucered »

LookingGlass wrote:
bennay wrote:I was actually thinking about ordering one of those. The colours were throwing me off but yours looks very nice!
I purchased this scuttle from a fellow SMF member and did not order it from Julie at DB pottery. The original purchaser worked with DB to get this color and glaze. I was fortunate to pick up this piece due to the unique glazing and color.

Ed
julie offers a few "unadvertised" glazes. the blk/opal shown here as well as an "earthy brown".
Elephants never forget!
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

brucered wrote:
LookingGlass wrote:

Ed
julie offers a few "unadvertised" glazes. the blk/opal shown here as well as an "earthy brown".
This is interesting as I thought only the standard colors would be available. Makes me even happier that I was able to pick up this glaze from the SMF B/S/T.

There is one item concerning this scuttle I do not understand. If it is a "brush scuttle" then why does it have the swirl/groove lines in the bowl? I make lather in a separate bowl and then transfer it to this scuttle to keep the lather warm - works great.

However, it I had my rathers, a smooth bowl would be my choice. Just a thought.

Ed
slackskin

Scuttle ID

Post by slackskin »

Hi Ed --

I;m having trouble identifying the scuttle on DB web site. I know the color would likely be different, but can't seem to find the style. Can you help me nail this down? Thank you.
LookingGlass

Re: Scuttle ID

Post by LookingGlass »

slackskin wrote:Hi Ed --

I;m having trouble identifying the scuttle on DB web site. I know the color would likely be different, but can't seem to find the style. Can you help me nail this down? Thank you.
Under the Shaving Gear tab, it is the "Travel Scuttle" on the upper right side of the page,

Ed
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

celestino wrote:Is that the Dirty Bird Small Bird travel scuttle? i have one! Great little things. Congrats.
Yes....nice scuttle.

Ed
slackskin

Found It

Post by slackskin »

Thanks for the location help, Ed. Can't believe I had a hard time finding it. Duh
brucered

Re: Found It

Post by brucered »

slackskin wrote:Thanks for the location help, Ed. Can't believe I had a hard time finding it. Duh
she has actually renamed it..."Baby Bird"

the reason for the swirls is, it's actually marketed as a Travel Scuttle and used for smaller bowl lathering, but many have adopted it as a "brush scuttle".

hope that helps.
Elephants never forget!
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

brucered wrote:
slackskin wrote:Thanks for the location help, Ed. Can't believe I had a hard time finding it. Duh

the reason for the swirls is, it's actually marketed as a Travel Scuttle and used for smaller bowl lathering, but many have adopted it as a "brush scuttle".

hope that helps.
Bruce,

Thanks for the explanation. Still, would be nice to see a smooth bowl with a little steeper sides like the Georgetown brush scuttle. Also, it would be nice for DB to be a little more creative in the color spectrum like Georgetown. IMHO, the three advertised glaze/colors are pretty bland when compared to Georgetown products. I am happy to be able get the glaze I did from Tim. Overall, the DB travel scuttle is a nice piece and I am enjoying it much.

Ed
brucered

Post by brucered »

LookingGlass wrote:
brucered wrote:

hope that helps.
Bruce,

Thanks for the explanation. Still, would be nice to see a smooth bowl with a little steeper sides like the Georgetown brush scuttle. Also, it would be nice for DB to be a little more creative in the color spectrum like Georgetown. IMHO, the three advertised glaze/colors are pretty bland when compared to Georgetown products. I am happy to be able get the glaze I did from Tim. Overall, the DB travel scuttle is a nice piece and I am enjoying it much.

Ed
+1 one on the GT glazes....i they offer the widest ad best array of colours out there.
Elephants never forget!
ben74

Post by ben74 »

Great looking scuttle!
Ben