What's the best value shaving cream/soap?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

The Taylor creams are the best value for me. One of the best creams period.
The Razorock cream/soaps are also outstanding as is the 1 Kg soaps from Vitos and Cella.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Toss up between Arko and Palmolive shave sticks.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
nelson

"Value" shaving creams

Post by nelson »

I don't use shaving soaps very much and generally prefer shaving creams. Among the creams I use the Taylor of Old Bond Street line up represent the best combination of performance, satisfaction, and price, especially in the Mr. Taylor, Sandalwood, and Rose scents. At a slightly lower level I would place Musgo Real and Omega, although the current prices for Musgo Real make it somewhat less of a value now than it used to be.

nelson
brothers

Post by brothers »

I'm not sure why, but nobody's mentioned the COBigelow branded Proraso we all buy on sale at Bath and Body Works. I got 4 5.2 ounce tubes for $20 sometime in the past year, kept 3 and gave one to my son in law. At $5 net cost per tube, I would suggest this wonderful shaving cream as one of the best values in wet shaving, hands down.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
nelson

Post by nelson »

brothers wrote:I'm not sure why, but nobody's mentioned the COBigelow branded Proraso we all buy on sale at Bath and Body Works. I got 4 5.2 ounce tubes for $20 sometime in the past year, kept 3 and gave one to my son in law. At $5 net cost per tube, I would suggest this wonderful shaving cream as one of the best values in wet shaving, hands down.
Gary, I consider Omega and the Bigelow creams to be virtually the same. I detect a slight difference in scent, but not enough to make a difference one way or another. Performance is identical.

nelson
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

This is a bit dependent on where in the world you are, but for me:

Arko for hard soaps.

Italian soft soap, by the Kilo, for soft soaps.

Real Shaving Company cream (made by Creightons) for creams.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

LouisIII wrote: Real Shaving Company cream (made by Creightons) for creams.
That's a brand I haven't thought about in a couple of years!

Does anyone in the US still sell it? As I recall, Eckerd did, but phased it out.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

I'm not much about value for money, I'm looking for ultimate sensuality. But there are bargains out there that would qualify as great value for money whilst providing exquisite shaves. Palmolive sticks, Arko sticks and Speick sticks are superb products at any price. For better value for money, bulk quantities of any soft Italian soap and the large blocks of Klar Kabinett original rose soap will provide numerous shaves with perfect lather.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

drmoss_ca wrote:For better value for money, bulk quantities of any soft Italian soap and the large blocks of Klar Kabinett original rose soap will provide numerous shaves with perfect lather.
Agreed.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Proraso and Omega for me, great lather and great value.
John
ben74

Post by ben74 »

I'm going to shock you by saying MdC. I know, I now, it ranks among the most expensive soaps out there (and it can be difficult to get), but I've been using it exclusively for about 4 months now (shaving 6 to 7 days a week) and I've hardly put a dent in it. And it's a fantastic performer - no point saving money on something that doesn't lather well!!! And lather well it does - I enjoy this soap so much that if I could only choose one soap for the rest of my shaving life - MdC would be it - and I almost think my current bowl would get me half way there!!!
Ben
brothers

Post by brothers »

Ben, considering a full jar of MdC will last about 500 shaves, your point is well-made.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
slackskin

Cost of MdC

Post by slackskin »

Curse you, Ben and Gary :D

You have rationalized the expense of MdC, so now I can get some. This is an extremely bad development for my SAD. My grandchildren's inheritance is going down the drain (pun intended). :D
brothers

Post by brothers »

It seems that the Euro/Dollar rate is pretty favorable at the moment.
Gary

SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I was going to mention MdC, but refrained out of fear of ridicule. Now that others have opened that door………..

I have been running a similar experiment, to see if a jar actually lasts one year as advertised. I have used it seven days a week for nine months. With about a third remaining, it will easily make the one year mark. I could have tried to be more parsimonious with each shave, as I always have enough for 5 or 6 passes, but even with only a few swirls, it just produces that much lather. Given that it’s one of the best soaps available (I feel it’s the best, but YMMV, etc.) it really is a bargain. If you look at the MdC website, their shipping charges have dramatically decreased, so shipping no longer costs more than the soap.

MdC: the value soap! Who woulda thunk it.

Steve
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Steve, Well, thank God for that anyway. Their shipping charges were genuinely absurd....worse even than Fortnum & Mason.
Regards,
Gordon
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

It looks to me like their website is down. I can't get to an order page to check their new shipping prices.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed