DR Harris Aftershave Milk

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
Jonnieboy61

DR Harris Aftershave Milk

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

I wouldn't say that I use a great deal of aftershave or cologne, despite this I think that Harris Pink is wonderfully light and it's low alcohol really appeals to me.

I have never really got on with balms either, but I am now noticing a fair amount of use by our members in SOTD for Harris Milk. But before I order some, it would be good to get some opinions on it, as my main concerns are does it leave a greasy feel on your skin, something I want to avoid if possible.
John
Persius

Post by Persius »

Glad you asked - the very same question is floating through my mind, and I'm looking forward to the answers.

I do use the Proraso balm at the moment, but not over-keen on it, so looking for a replacement.
paddy

Post by paddy »

i have no experience of the current formulation of dr harris as milk, but the the old one was excellent.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I have the newer one and it does leave a greasy feeling on my face. I can't complain about the scent or the effectiveness of it as it is pretty good.
I have the Arlington of the older version and it is way better than the new formulation. No greasy feeling and much lighter in consistency.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I have always intended to try DR Harris Pink and Milk but have simply not gotten around to it yet. So many shaving products to try, so little time.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, The current version of Harris's Aftershave Milk is decidedly a 'balm'...it is quite heavy. Interestingly, many years ago it was similiar. But in the interum period, say from somewhere in the 1990s up until a few years back, it was a considerably lighter weight product with a consistancy not much heavier than the Pink. I still have a little of this lighter product ( courtesy of Chris M. who had the foresight and means to stock up while it was still available ) and it is that which shows up in my SOTD entries. A few other members have a stash of this stuff as well. A few members seem to use the current version, at least at times, but if you don't care for other A/S balms I would not recommend it. The older stuff was a very special product and I think it was a shame that D R Harris reformulated it into something so similiar to so many other products available. FWIW I think the closest facsimile of the older Milk that is still being produced is the ( surprise ! ) Clinique Post Shave Healer. It's not the same but it is not that dissimiliar.
Regards,
Gordon
paddy

Post by paddy »

FWIW I think the closest facsimile of the older Milk that is still being produced is the ( surprise ! ) Clinique Post Shave Healer. It's not the same but it is not that dissimiliar.
i have found that the gentleman's refinery aftershave balm is quite similar to the old dr harris milk, both in terms of consistency and performance, and more so that the clinique stuff.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Thanks everyone, I think I will stick to my Harris Pink a/s. I have decided not to purchase the Pink Milk as I hate to be dissapointed, especially when I have something that works well already.

All the best
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paddy, Really? I found the Gentlemen's Refinary stuff to be quite similiar to other higher end balms....that is; quite rich and heavy. The Clinique absorbed much more quickly and more thoroughly on my skin.
Regards,
Gordon
paddy

Post by paddy »

yerp, really. hard to think that we're actually talking about the same products! because i have a totally different impression of the clinique post shave healer. it was so bad i binned it after a few weeks of regular use! the tgr asb, granted is a bit more 'oily' that the dr old milk but is very 'liquidy', a la the milk, readily absorbed and not heavy for me at all.
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

paddy wrote:....the tgr asb, granted is a bit more 'oily' that the dr old milk but is very 'liquidy', a la the milk, readily absorbed and not heavy for me at all.
Same impressions here. The Gentlemen's Refinery Balm is perhaps a bit oilier than the Clinique Post-Shave Healer, but I like it quite a bit. Sometimes, the PSH does not give me enough moisture in my dry climate. Interestingly, I've been using T&H Ultimate Comfort Balm some lately. It's definitely thicker, but it settles in nicely without any "shine" on the face. Its protective qualities are also excellent.
Lynn
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I'm a fan of the current Milk and don't find it oily at all. My freshly shaved skin absorbs it very quickly and leaves the skin moisturized. I also like T&H and L'Occitane balms, though they are heavier.
If the OP want's to try something very similar to the old Harris Milk I would recommend trying Three Crowns Milk from Connaught Shaving.
Eric
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Eric, Yeah, I tried that one too and while, in general feel/texture it is the closest stuff available to the old Harris's Milk, and lighter than the GR product, it still didn't quite 'do it' for me. I'm not quite sure why other than it seemed to linger around for too long. The PSH, while feeling heavier in the hand still seemed to absorb more quickly/thoroughly. Just goes to show that we have different reactions to/experiances of different products. I would agree that these three, the Clinique, the GR balm, and the Three Crowns Milk ARE the closest products currently available to the old Harris's Milk but none of them are quite the same....or, quite it's equal IMO. Damn but I wish they hadn't gone and messed with it. Normally I just use their Pink A/S today and find it equally satisfactory, if a little different. Of course, unlike Lynn, I live in a hot humid climate most of the year and that might make a difference in what product seems optimal.
Regards,
Gordon