Theory about the Gillette Super Platinum blue box blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Theory about the Gillette Super Platinum blue box blades

Post by brothers »

I have a hunch that one day in a meeting, Gillette decided that the world's best selling blade (Super Iridium) should be a Gillette blade, with the Gillette name on it. So in the blink of an eye they sent out the word to change the blade identification markings and the packaging to start selling the former SI blade as Gillette Super Platinums. I don't know, just makes sense to me!

I've loaded 3 Super Plats in 3 razors and 3 Personna Preps in 3 other razors, and have been alternating them in my DE rotation since 1-1-12. I'll change out the blades on 4-1-12. So far, they're all 6 as sharp as the day the trial started. I'm getting some excellent DE shaves across the board just as expected, as a matter of fact that's what made me decide what I think Gillette did a year ago when they made the SI's disappear.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

While the Blue blades are smooth, I do not find them to be as sharp as an Iridium. I like them mind you but not as much as an Iridium.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
GreekGuy

Post by GreekGuy »

BullGoose wrote:While the Blue blades are smooth, I do not find them to be as sharp as an Iridium. I like them mind you but not as much as an Iridium.
I completely agree. The blues are good blades, but they are definitely not SIs
-Nick
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

BullGoose wrote:While the Blue blades are smooth, I do not find them to be as sharp as an Iridium. I like them mind you but not as much as an Iridium.
+1
John
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I feel also Iridium-Super blades being sharper and so providing more effortless shave ATG. I like the dark blue 7 O'Clock blades too.
Jarmo
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Just use merkurs and be done with all the :bull haha

sorry, couldnt resist

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
vpayne

Post by vpayne »

Ditto-except for the Merkur blades……...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The high end blades from the factory that produced the Super Iridiums are very similar except for perhaps a difference in steel or edge coating. They're all good.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i agree with clive

let the trust be told

marc
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

All I hope is that they continue to manufacture these Blue versions for a long time, as I really like them, especially as my stock of SI's won't last forever...
John
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

What about the white box ones, with the Surrey address on them, which I found still on sale in the Canary Islands last week? "Swedes"? They sure shave like them.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Seamaster wrote:What about the white box ones, with the Surrey address on them, which I found still on sale in the Canary Islands last week? "Swedes"? They sure shave like them.

Are these the white cardboard box version or the plastic dispencer type with the used blade slot on the reverse side?
John
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Jonnieboy61 wrote:
Seamaster wrote:What about the white box ones, with the Surrey address on them, which I found still on sale in the Canary Islands last week? "Swedes"? They sure shave like them.
Are these the white cardboard box version or the plastic dispencer type with the used blade slot on the reverse side?
White cardboard box, but on the same blue hanging card as the plastic dispensers were (Surrey address etc).
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Seamaster, I'm assuming you mean the ones in the plastic slide container? If so they are clearly old stock that is still around in a few out-of-way places. Personally I did not think they were as good as prior, 'real' Swedes....the ones with the Scandinavian capitals listed on the back. However, they were still very good IMO.
Regards,
Gordon
harper

Post by harper »

I have enough SI blades to last for at least two more years and I am going to be 82 in four months. To hell with it.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

bernards66 wrote:Seamaster, I'm assuming you mean the ones in the plastic slide container?
No, in a white cardboard box (see above and below).

brothers

Post by brothers »

Back on track with the OP, just for a moment, before putting it back to sleep: for the past 12 weeks I've been using Personna Prep hospital use blades in some razors and Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades in the same number of different razors. At the end of the 3 months, I'm happy to know that the Super Platinum blades proved to be excellent, as did the Personnas.

This speaks very well of both brands. Obviously, in my lilttle corner of the world, in my razors, and in my opinion, two of the world's best double edge blades are not discontinued, but are in current production, one in USA, and the other in Russia. This is great news. Very comforting to those of us who enjoy and appreciate the ability to buy as many excellent double edge razor blades as we want, without having to hunt them down and pay a premium for them.

I have a thirty year supply of Personna hospital use blades, so I'm going to write myself a note and put it in my safe deposit box to be opened in the year 2042, several years before I celebrate my 100th birthday, reminding myself to make a decision between buying another 30 year supply of the wonderful Personnas or trying to remember how well the Gillettes performed, and considering the possibility of buying some Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades when the Personnas run out. Looks like I'm fixed pretty well in the blade catagory, no matter how my future decision turns out.

PS: for the next 3 months, I'm using half Perma Sharps and half Personna hospital use Prep blades. Here's hoping the Perma Sharps also fall into the excellent catagory, because they're also in current production.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444