Photos of rare items ...

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
joe mcclaine

Photos of rare items ...

Post by joe mcclaine »

I know there are people on here with rare and very much sought-after items.

I'm thinking things like the 'Black' shaving soap from Penhaligons or their Hammam Bouquet shaving soap, or Floris Rose Geranium shaving soap, or D R Harris Cologne shaving soap, or a bottle of the original Royal Yacht?

Are there any photographs, or scans from old catalogues knocking about?

Having never seen these in the flesh, and as I'm never likely to I reckon I could enjoy them vicariously through the magic of the JPEG.
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Joe,
Potential for a good thread - it'll require some participation from the great hoarders though : )

Well, I suppose I'll add some requests:

I'd like to see a Rooney 1/1 Finest with faux Ebony handle

Musgo Real Shaving stick

A PM offering me a Chubby 1 in Super in exchange for my Omega boar
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
brothers

Post by brothers »

Joe, that is a good idea. Maybe the slow start can be attributed to a reluctance to draw attention to ones self in a manner that might be inaccurately interpreted as self-promotion. I'd love to see some of the grail products we can only imagine sitting on our own countertop.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Louis, I especially like the last rare and sought after item on your list.

:lol:

I wish I had some to post pictures of. :roll:
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Joe,
TOBS #74 became my signature ( but not only) scent after my magical encounter with the H.M.S. Romney vet's widow.
I dropped by my mechanic friend David today. He was being swallowed Jaws like under the bonnet of a
and said'OY mate, that you Chris?' recognising the scent.
I wound up helping for 45 minutes as his mob doesn't understand King's english terms like 'spanner wrench,irish screwdriver and the proper liturgical chants to Lucas Laird of Darkness.'
I asked if the family was still about and my mission to record a bottle of Royal yachtsman. Sorry, repatriated to Plymouth.
I did find www.trademarkia.com/royal-yacht-73481586.html
It seems ownership of the name is available.
cjc15153

Post by cjc15153 »

People will have to visit their safe deposit boxes before any photo's can be posted. But I'm sure this will become an interesting thread after that.
--
I am Chris #6. No relation to Nikki.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

One thing I've learned in my avocation. We know as much, if not more about what happened 300 years ago than our own parent and grandparent's lifetimes. I'm sure excavating a mid 20th century trash dump in the UK could produce a Royal Yachtsman bottle easilly enough :lol:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Trash is right, I suspect most patrons tossed the empty bottles.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I may still have an empty bottle of Royal Yacht back at the old house and if I ever get back in there I will let you know, and try to post it here ( and good luck to me on that )...sigh. The other ones you mentioned, I've never seen either but would like to. I know that Mr. Bargepole used to be fond of the Floris Rose Geranium Cologne but I doubt that he has saved any of the bottles, especially considering how many non-finished bottles of cologne he has lying about. Well, we shall see.
Regards,
Gordon
RonH

Post by RonH »

I have a D.R. Harris Cologne shaving soap sealed in its presentation box and 1 opened in its bowl. I had 2 sealed but traded one to Phil of Bullgoose. Will put pictures up this week. Ron