Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
Shave4Fun

Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter

Post by Shave4Fun »

Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Most interesting. This version doesn't appear to contain their usual euclyptus and menthol which has always made Proraso a no-go for me in the past. If so then I might give this a try at some point. The scenting ingrediants listed do not add up to 'sandalwood' to me, but what the hey...it seems like it ought to smell pretty nice. Thanks for the heads up.
Regards,
Gordon
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Cant wait to try this, I hope it comes up to expectation, as I love their current products.

All the best
John
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Interestingly, Gordon, I like the eucalyptus and menthol in Proraso, at least once in a while.

Regards,

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Roger, Well quite a few gents here are, but for me they've never much appealed and anyway I have a skin reaction to both so it would be out of court in any case. But the cream itself seemed pretty good, so since this version seems to be sans those two ingrediants it might be something I'd like to try....especially if it became more widely available.
Regards,
Gordon
Araner

Post by Araner »

I'm looking forward to hearing what kind of sandalwood scent it has. I wouldn't mind if it was close to the odd Vulfix sandalwood cream smell.

Mike
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

I just shaved today with this product and it is quite nice. In terms of scent it is very mild and sandalwood'ish but not true Mysore Indian Sandalwood from a scent perspective. I think the scent is a bit of sandalwood oil blended with the cocoa butter. It's very moisturizing. More so than regular Proraso. And has none of the Euc/Menthol as in Proraso green. For the price this is an excellent product and highly recommended.

Chris
Steve

Post by Steve »

Chris,

Where did you buy it? When you say very mild, will I be able to tell I am using a sandalwood scent? In terms of mildness..how would you compare it to the regular Proraso scent? The same or not as strong?

I like scents that are not faint. It doesn't have to smell like Mysore sandalwood but it needs to at least kind of smell like sandalwood!

Steve
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

By comparison the scent of this is much more mild than say Sandalwood by T&H or Taylor's and is closer, but still more mild than say, Trumper Sandalwood. It has a sweet woody scent but again it's very faint. It's nothing near to the Euc/Menthol intensity of Proraso green. It is much more moisturizing than say Proraso green as well as any of the English brands but if what you are after is an "olfactive" experience I would say you may be disappointed.

regards,
Chris
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

And BTW I am reasonably well "connected" in Italy and had someone local there ship it to me. It should be with several of he UK vendors/retailers in the next few weeks as well and it is available on UK eBay.

Chris
Araner

Post by Araner »

Nice package.

Mike
Esoteric83

Post by Esoteric83 »

fisherc wrote:And BTW I am reasonably well "connected" in Italy and had someone local there ship it to me. It should be with several of he UK vendors/retailers in the next few weeks as well and it is available on UK eBay.

Chris
Can you use such connections to influence some to, I dunno, market a soap that is the equivalent of what XXX is to APD but for Caraceni 1913? :wink:

Your description makes me think of Coates' Sandalwood.
fisherc

Post by fisherc »

To be candid I think the formulators of this variant of Proraso were really using Sandalwood oil for it's skin care benefits and not necessarily olfactive characteristics. Sandalwood is known to be beneficial or dry skin which is the target audience for this product.

Chris
brothers

Post by brothers »

It's comforting to know that if we just let time pass, by summer we'll have the full Proraso range of new products just falling off the shelves at every popular internet website, in addition to the initial products representing the new Harris Windsor products, and the very interesting offerings in the wings at Italian Barber, (S. Maria soap and a few others that are rumored to be coming). All in all, it's just going to take a bit of patience, letting others be the first in line.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
celestino

Post by celestino »

Very nice package!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, Thanks. Sounds like it might be a winner from my perspective....and you know how rarely I venture out of the realm of English products. I'll have to see as money is very tight right now and the shipping from the UK is usually pretty stiff these days, but I'll definately keep it in mind.
Regards,
Gordon
Steve

Post by Steve »

The last ingredient is Santalum Album Oil. which apparently is Indian Sandalwood.

Steve
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Just received a tube today, the scent is somewhat unusual, I think the Sandlewood is being masked it's not that forthcoming in my opinion, but still pleasent and typical for Proraso.

Haven't used it yet but the feel of the cream in my fingers feels great, just what I expect from Proraso. Will try this tomorrow with a nice new Swede I think.
John
Steve

Post by Steve »

John,

Thanks for the comment on the scent. So if it doesn't smell like sandalwood, what would you say it smells like? Can you think of anything similar?

Steve
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Steve

I'm sorry I don't think I can it really is an unusual fragrance perhaps others have received theirs can comment

It may be more clearer once I have used it this opinion was by just rubbing it on the back of my hand
John