Is It Time to Hold on to Vintage DE's?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
DreadPirate

Is It Time to Hold on to Vintage DE's?

Post by DreadPirate »

I was just looking around on EBay and I am surprised at how much some of these DE's are selling for. Fatboys are routinely pushing or exceeding $100. A TV Superspeed for $48. I was going to sell some of my vintage Gillettes since I have been moving towards re-plated Gillettes. But I am thinking I need to hold on to these!! I wish my 401K or house would appreciate this much!!
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The internet is a terrible enabler. What we used to hunt for or see in regional or niche markets is now a click and competitive bid away. Many collector markets have seen rapidly escalating prices as stocks are quickly snapped up. My friend who restores watches used to get 23 jewel Bulova autos for $35. Go on EBAY and $150 is a mean average for one in decent shape. He appraised mine @ $400 :shock:
It may sound maudlin, but 'estate sales' with Fatboy razors, Picklehaube helmets and Hamilton watches are vanishing with the generations who used them.
But take heart! You know you've 'arrived' when the items of your youth or illustrious military career are collectable.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My memories have just been sold.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Fatboys have always held mystical properties on e-bay and all slivery adjustable Gillettes are Fatboys anymore over there. Even Slims are Fatboys now. Of course I jest, but seriously, few sellers know anything about razors and lots of buyers are just plain insane IMO.

If you see a BIN price that accepts a best offer, IMO the seller is just fishing since he or she hasn't a clue and is hoping it's a $500 razor. It could be too if he finds a buyer willing to spend that for a $15 razor.

Should you hold onto them? Are they eating anything? Do you need the $ for something else? Are they taking up too space? If the answers are "no" then why part with them? You can always sell later, and if they do go up you've made some money. I doubt they'll go down in price. They've already done that.

But you need to do what's right for you.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
paddy

Post by paddy »

i didn't get into wetshaving to make money and i don't look at my collection (which is reasonably significant now) as investments.

if i want to sell something on i just sell it and i don't hold on to it in the hope that it might bump up a few £ over the next couple of years. as long as you are getting a fair price for anything you sell or buy, or what you think is a fair price, then that's all that matters.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

paddy wrote:i didn't get into wetshaving to make money and i don't look at my collection (which is reasonably significant now) as investments.

if i want to sell something on i just sell it and i don't hold on to it in the hope that it might bump up a few £ over the next couple of years. as long as you are getting a fair price for anything you sell or buy, or what you think is a fair price, then that's all that matters.

+1
John
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

paddy wrote:i didn't get into wetshaving to make money and i don't look at my collection ... as investments.
+2
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

$100 for a Fatboy? Hmm...still I can't retire.
ateace

Post by ateace »

Some of the best advice I got about collecting is not to get into it for financial gain.

Collect what you like, enjoy it as long as you have it, and sell it for a fair price.

If a transaction yields a profit, that's great, but it should not be the sole reason for the endeavor.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

An ordinary razor with a catchy name goes for a premium while equally good razors go unnoticed. Such is the vagueness of ebay, the the yard sale of the World.

I only buy what I plan to use.
Regards,
Squire
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Squire wrote:An ordinary razor with a catchy name goes for a premium while equally good razors go unnoticed. Such is the vagueness of ebay, the the yard sale of the World.

+1
John
paddy

Post by paddy »

yup, same here. i have a 'collection', but it is a working collection and i don't have stuff just for the sake of having it.
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

All this talk of acquiring razors -- I too only have a few, and use them all except for 2 Techs which are on hold for when my sons decide to turn away from cartridges and electric trimmers. Otherwise, the 5 or 6 razors I own get shared play over the course of a year.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I have Fatboy only at this point but also I would like Tech and use it for a travels and change with fatboy. Fatboy strictly in house.

Ohh I have in my father house across whole europe vintage gillette from 70s made in england with white handle. This one used to belong to my father and I inherited it :) But I keep there when I come to visit my parents so I can shave there:)
Jack
offshoot

Post by offshoot »

celar36 wrote:...I would like Tech ...
Do yourself a favour and get one. You may end up to sell your Fatboy on Ebay! Think, $100+!.

Luckily Techs are not rated so high. They are underrated.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Underrated yet work well above their pay grade.
Regards,
Squire
celestino

Post by celestino »

No kidding! Can you believe some of the prices?!
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Believe it. Look at this. Crazy bidders paying so much for Tech and still 2 days to go.( I had the eye on it, was thinking max 40$ plus delivery)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Engli ... 350wt_1413

I got today a Tech for 45$ with delivery to UK ( basically almost 20$). In condition New. Never Used. But I have this thing I prefer to buy NOS but I dont like to over pay.
Jack
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

On one hand I really don't need more than 7 razors in my rotation; o/w that's a lot of razors I have to clean. And I am hoarding razors someone else might enjoy.

On the other hand; they don't cost anything to just keep sitting around, and I don't need the money from them (it's not a lot of money anyways).
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Years back I got lots of razors off eBay for very cheap, including mint Fatboys for about $30 each. The problem now is that old razors are getting lots of exposure on many forums and the demand for them goes up. So, some sellers take advantage of this and ask whatever they can get. Better yet, what someone is willing to pay to have 'one'.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."