New or vintage adjustable??

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Persius

New or vintage adjustable??

Post by Persius »

I'm considering getting an adjustable razor.

Is consensus in favour of vintage or brand spanking new.

Say I fancied a vintage (Gillette Slim), does anyone have advice on purchasing route to avoid paying over the odds whilst still getting something that will do the job? I have seen vintage pieces on Executive Shaving, but they seem a little pricey. Value for money?

Anyway, all opinions welcome ... (lights blue touch paper and runs).
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Opinions are always ymmv on this forum. :wink:

Personally, I prefer vintage, but also got into DE shaving when you could get a used Fatboy for $20 including shipping (I bought two like this when I first got into DEs). Now - that isn't quite the case so it may be more economical to go with used.

I purchased all my vintage razors through the selling forum here on SMF -- and never once did I have any issues with product or shipping. Not sure what's up for sale these days any more.

Another route for vintage would be to scrounge around local (or not-so-local) antique shops. You can find some real beauties if you don't mind looking.

Good luck with your search.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Gene

Post by Gene »

I agree with Wendell...pricing on eBay is too eratic, and usually too high to get serious deals. I would troll the flea markets and antique shops you pass by. I have picked up some nice raors that way, at far lower prices, too.

Plus, since you are holding it in your hand before you decide to buy, you can know for sure it is decent shape. I bought a Tech on eBay that had the lower bar bent, but you couldn't tell from the photos. I didn't spend much, and I used the handle for something else anyway, but lesson learned.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I would look to the members here first for reasonable deal. I wouldn't buy one otherwise unless I could examine it first.
Regards,
Squire
celestino

Post by celestino »

Squire wrote:I would look to the members here first for reasonable deal. I wouldn't buy one otherwise unless I could examine it first.
+1 You could put a WTB post if you know what you are looking for.
Persius

Post by Persius »

Cheers chaps.

I'd welcome advice on make / model as I have no experience to go on. I think I'd like something that will give me graduated shaves, something between my Merkur 34C HD and Feather AS.

Not too keen on very aggressive ...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Long handle Gillette Slim, also referred to as a Super Adjustable. Short handle Slim would work as well.
Regards,
Squire
Persius

Post by Persius »

Squire - thanks - will be having a look around ...

Do you mean something like this?
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Persius wrote:Squire - thanks - will be having a look around ...

Do you mean something like this?
That's a nice looking razor, but I wouldn't pay that much for one.
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
celar36

Post by celar36 »

Here is one of my fav seller.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-66-Gi ... 479wt_1413

Good luck with finding the one you like. As only one can choose the ones like!
Jack
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

That is a gorgeous razor!

It's up to you what you bid, but I suspect it'll go much higher. It's up to you what it's worth.

A Slim is a fantastic razor. It's one of my 2 finest DE shavers. Set to "9" it's absolutely magical with a sharp and smooth blade. Of course it has lower settings also. But there is always that "magical" setting.

If you don't bid or win that Slim, I'd post a WTB on here as many have already suggested. I've never gotten a bad deal or razor from a fellow shaver on any shave forum. Most times the razor was actually undervalued for the quality.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
Persius

Post by Persius »

Thanks chaps. Let's see what happens ...
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

These prices are astonishing considering the umpteen millions that were made.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:Long handle Gillette Slim, also referred to as a Super Adjustable. Short handle Slim would work as well.
This is what you are looking for. The shaving forum members are your primary reliable source, at prices that are reasonable.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

In terms of new ones, The Futur is probably my favorite razor, and I like my Progress a lot, too, but if you want a Slim, then buy a Slim! They're great razors. A slim was actually my very first DE razor, and I never regretted the choice.

if you go vintage, get one from people on the forums, moreso than on Ebay. You'll pay less money, and probably have a better experience buying from a fellow wet shaver, than buying from most people who sell them on Ebay.
Shavetools.com Traditional products for modern wet shavers: Vie-Long brushes, Merkur razors, and more.
Persius

Post by Persius »

That's a decision then (at least). Thanks for all the opinions.

If I don't get that eBay listed razor, I'll be imposing on the membership here ... you'll know how it's gone if you see a WTB from me soon.

This all started for a number of reasons, some practical and some emotional; I think I'd get a nice shave with an adjustable, but, more importantly, I remember playing with a TTO, green-handled razor at my Granddad's house when I was very young (blade removed, of course), and I like the idea of using something every day that would remind me of him.

Perhaps that's where my interest it wet shaving comes from.