Cobra Classic vs. Muhle R41 Toothcomb

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Well, I for one checked the price of a Cobra a while back and found it too pricey, no matter how good it is. I don't think it's inexpensive to manufacture and I don't begrudge profit. I admit it, it's just out of my reach. Those folks wanting one, get it now, the inflation from the stimulus hasn't fully hit yet, but it's coming.

Plus, my Muhle 2011 R41 has NEVER drawn blood on me that I didn't force it to draw (a cut on the corner of my nose because I didn't rinse the razor- a vision problem), other than that it so is so well behaved it's incredible. So I'll stick with it and the myriad of other razors that shave me just fine; close, comfortable, and inexpensively. Plus, I already have plenty of blades for them. I haven't gotten into inexpensive injectors because I really don't want to inventory more blades.

BTW, so far I've only used the very sharpest of blades in the R41 and I have no plans on ever using anything less than those. I can't imagine using less than the sharpest blade and thereby compromising the cut in a razor that is so aggressive. It came with a pack of Gillette Yellows (one of my favorites) and I plan to stick with the sharpest blades I have when using it.

I do plan to get a spare '11 R41. Just in case they change the head again. Shaving just doesn't get better than the R41 IMO. I can equal it with other razors though, just not in a razor so well behaved. Maybe the SE OCMM comes closest.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

Brian: how would your characterize your beard? Coarseness, density, etc?

Just curious given my recent test drive of the R41 & the results it gave me.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I'd say it's fairly coarse; density, I can't even guess at; I have nothing to compare it to. When I grow a beard it's pretty full though. My stubble in places grows parallel to the skin and hugs it, some whiskers nestle in creases in the skin, and it takes an aggressive razor to get them.

Brian, I read your post above this forum where you state that you need a stiff blade. BTW, thanks for the kind words re: the Bay Rum. But back to the point... The R41 definitely doesn't allow that (stiff blade). When I first began using it I could feel the blade flexing. It felt out of control to me and like it was about to continually bite. What I'm saying is that it just might not be for you. I'm of the opinion that because of the nature of the R41, it might be for far fewer folks than for the many. I'm just either lucky, charmed, blessed or just plain dumb I guess. :)

One question... I can't imagine using anything other than my absolutely sharpest blades in the R41. I think it would be a mistake to use a lesser blade because of the nature of the razor. What blades did you use in it? In fact my R41 came through with the factory supplied Derbys, but Connaught threw in a box of Gillette Yellows which I took as a sign of what they wanted me to use. The yellows are among my sharpest blades.
Brian

Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
SharpSpine

Post by SharpSpine »

I used Feather & Voskhod. Lots of weepers from the Feather, much much fewer from the Voskhod.
> Brian < Shave On & God Bless!!

Mongoose B1 + Hempel Spiral; Feather Pro
ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

I enjoy shaving with the R41, and I have been debating purchase of a Cobra for some time. But I am more curious to know how the Cobra compares to shaving with a Gem SE, like the open comb Micromatic. I have heard the OCMM is quite aggressive but provides a very close shave, much like the things I'm hearing about the Cobra. A Gem is much cheaper, and blades are readily available. The head is also narrower. So, does anyone have experience with both the Cobra and a non-injector single edge razor like the Gem?
Andrew
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

I have both and the Cobra gets much closer and is a much better shaver to me than the OC MM. The shave with the Cobra doesn't last as long for me as one with a SE or DE, but it is enjoyable and more comfortable.
ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

Thanks for the input. I'm a little perplexed, though. You say the Cobra provides a closer shave, but that it doesn't last as long as a SE or DE shave? Do you mean you can get the job done more quickly with the Cobra? If it's a closer shave (to me this means you cut the hair shorter), why wouldn't it last longer?
Andrew
itsmedave

Post by itsmedave »

ltjaw wrote:Thanks for the input. I'm a little perplexed, though. You say the Cobra provides a closer shave, but that it doesn't last as long as a SE or DE shave? Do you mean you can get the job done more quickly with the Cobra? If it's a closer shave (to me this means you cut the hair shorter), why wouldn't it last longer?
I'm not sure why honestly. When I shave with the Cobra or the Injector, I have to shave every single day. With my R41 or my Fatip, I can go 36-48 hours without shaving again. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's true. The Cobra does get much closer to me than the OC MM.
ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

I think I understand you - the Cobra shaves feel smoother and more comfortable, i.e., the face is happier with the shave. I see this is a very good thing. I haven't yet tried my OCMM, and I was kind of hoping someone would say the shaves are pretty close. Darn that price increase on the Cobra!
Andrew
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Andrew, what works for one may not work for another. What works for you may not work for me. There's only one way to find out. You already have the OCMM, try it. It's a fine razor and yields a fantastic shave if you're up to it. It demands a lot of technique, and the angle used is different.

The grass is always greener on the other side, but the truth is, the grass is pretty darn green if you just use a blade. There are mild razors, and aggressive razors. The OCMM is quite aggressive and did I mention it gives a fantastic and close shave? Just don't let your attention wander or it'll bite.

Cursor down a bit and you'll find a review on the MM family. It doesn't compare the OCMM to the Cobra however.

There may be other factors involved on the closer feel to the shave yet the shave not lasting as long. Frankly, I don't know what they could be. But common sense tells you that if the hair is actually cut shorter it'll take longer to grow back.

Andrew, it's what's in the cockpit that makes the difference, the rest is just a tool waiting to be used. Or, it's not the bow, it's the Indian. Or I suppose it could be FM. :)
Brian

ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

Right on, Brian. I used the OCMM this morning and had a terrific shave - smooth, no irritation, no nicks. It is definitely a keeper. Kind of hard to imagine how the Cobra could provide that much more enjoyable of a shaving experience, but I'm interested to hear from others that have used both.
Andrew
brothers

Post by brothers »

Now you see my cautious approach. Let's see, a current razor already in my possession, cost $0. Or, a blind $165 purchase of an unknown (to me) razor. Believe me, though, if I try a Cobra and get a shave as enjoyable and as excellent as those currrently provided by my other razors, then you can call me a drunken sailor, because that's what I'm buying. However, recalling the OP above, if it's as nasty as the 2011 Muhle R41, then I'm simply out, and glad of it.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Just as predicted, once the price increased, the Cobra quickly sold out! I'm still not a buyer. I'm just being patient.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

itsmedave wrote:
ltjaw wrote:Thanks for the input. I'm a little perplexed, though. You say the Cobra provides a closer shave, but that it doesn't last as long as a SE or DE shave? Do you mean you can get the job done more quickly with the Cobra? If it's a closer shave (to me this means you cut the hair shorter), why wouldn't it last longer?
I'm not sure why honestly. When I shave with the Cobra or the Injector, I have to shave every single day. With my R41 or my Fatip, I can go 36-48 hours without shaving again. I know it sounds ridiculous, but it's true. The Cobra does get much closer to me than the OC MM.
Dave, how's the Cobra holding up? It's been a while since there's been any conversation on this thread. Is it a keeper, after you've been using yours for a few weeks now?
Gary

ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

brothers wrote:Dave, how's the Cobra holding up? It's been a while since there's been any conversation on this thread. Is it a keeper, after you've been using yours for a few weeks now?
Yes. Someone please fan these flames.

Or throw some lighter fluid on them.

Need to keep this going until CS has them back in stock.
Andrew
DreadPirate

Post by DreadPirate »

slantman wrote:Cobra Classic without a doubt. Shaves extremely smooth and close and you can get at least ten excellent shaves or more out of one blade. Blade choices are Feather Pro or Kai Captain Titan Mild. On the other hand the R41 is not a comfortable shave no matter how careful I was.
That's been my experience as well; my R41 is a close shave but not at all a smooth one. I have much better luck with my slant. The Cobra sounds intriguing; not sure I want to pay for the very expensive blades though.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I didn't find the Cobra listed at Classic Shaving so I emailed them this morning to inquire. The Cobra is on order and should be back in stock around the second week of April. There was a gent on the forum who very kindly offered to let me try out his Cobra, but I'm thinking he's enjoying it too much and not particularly anxious to send it off again! Can't say I blame him.
Gary

ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

The Cobra Classic is back in stock at CS.

I happened to buy one from a forum member last week and have shaved with it twice. It has already moved to the head of the pack in my shave den. I do not find it to be an aggressive shaver at all. Just efficient, smooth, comfortable, and downright splendid.

I'm thinking about buying a backup...
Andrew
brothers

Post by brothers »

Coincidentally, I had sent a follow-up email to Classic last night and they answered me back today with the news. Needless to say, I wasn't going to be caught sleeping a second time. In my mind, this one's going to be competing with my favorite straight razors and a couple of DEs such as the Gillette Big Boy Deluxe, and the NEW Standard, in terms of comfort and closeness of shave. If it doesn't cut the mustard, it'll be a piece of cake to pass along to someone else.
Gary

ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

brothers wrote: If it doesn't cut the mustard, it'll be a piece of cake to pass along to someone else.
A piece of cake indeed. PM me if you don't like it. I plan on giving one to my father and brother.

I suspect, however, you'll be contemplating the sale of one or more of your other currently beloved razors.
Andrew