Looking for a Rose scent soap . . .

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
ThePossum

Looking for a Rose scent soap . . .

Post by ThePossum »

that is tallow based. I know about Trumper's Rose, but want to see if there is something out there less expensive.

Most rose soaps I have seen are glycerin based and are combination rose soaps. Do want just a plain tallow rose.

Any help would be appreciated and I would consider a good glycerin based rose if the price is right and the scent is a basic rose.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

I believe Klar Kabinett is vegetable based soap not dissimilar to some much loved Italian soaps, and the scent is Rose-like. May be worth a look.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

It is very difficult to find a tallow based rose soap, and if one is available, I'd be interested.
I do have a wild rose that Charles at QED custom made years back but it is glycerin.
The scent is amazing and it shaves fairly decent. I had two tubs and have used one up; mind you I'm talking like 6 years ago that I got them.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Bryce, There are no more tallow based rose scented shaving soaps to my knowledge ( unless, perhaps, QC offers one ). In fact, there aren't that many rose scented shave soaps of any type these days. Trumpers Rose is one of my favourite shave soaps period and the last one that I had was palm oil based but still very good. However, there was some depressing posts in that recent thread title 'T&H Sandalwood' regarding the current Trumper soaps. Dunno for sure as the last one I bought was maybe two years ago or more.
Regards,
Gordon
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Bryce, Queen Charlotte Soaps makes a Rose Otto soap that has tallow, but while it performs better than the puck of Trumper's Rose I bought last spring, it is not any cheaper. The Klar Kabinett is also a top performer but to my nose the scent is more rose/sandalwood a la Pen's Hammam Bouquet and not a pure rose. I generally stick with creams for my rose kick.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Thanks guys for the info. I was afraid of there not being something out there like I wanted.

May just have to stick to my Trumper's Rose cream for my rose kick I guess. Althought I did have a stick of Rose scented soap I got from Prairie Creations but that gal seems to be on hiatus due to some health problems. Last post on her website was like in October.

When and if I give a glycerin soap a go I will let you all know. Will begin to look at some of the stuff from the artisan soap makers out there. Any suggestions on those.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Oscar11

Post by Oscar11 »

Mike's Natural Soaps makes a tallow based Rose and Cedar scented soap with lanolin that's a very good performer.
brothers

Post by brothers »

I think the only hope, and it's definitely a long shot, is that Harris will some day take our advice and introduce a Rose soap to go along with their wonderful Rose cream. Now that GFT's tinkering has evidently driven the last nail into the coffin of their own formerly highly regarded Rose soap. Not just that soap, but all of them, since the most recent reformulation.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Klar Kabinett original is vegetable based, but contains stearates. You wouldn't know it wasn't tallow. Excellent in use, and I do like the rose scent. A great buy!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
brothers

Post by brothers »

True to form, YMMV kicks in. We got a couple of the huge bars of Klar Kabinett and couldn't detect any similarity to any rose fragrance along the lines of Trumpers, Harris, Truefiitt or TOBS. My uneducated take on the fragrance was a sweeter version of Arko, as odd as that may sound. It wasn't my "cup of tea".
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, FWIW, I didn't think it smelled that much like 'rose' either. Sure, there was a rose note in there but it seemed almost overpowered by whatever other scent notes they use. Personally I didn't find the performance to be that great either although it was 'okay'. Let's just say that I'm glad I didn't invest in a huge block of the stuff.
Regards,
Gordon
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

brothers wrote:I think the only hope, and it's definitely a long shot, is that Harris will some day take our advice and introduce a Rose soap to go along with their wonderful Rose cream. Now that GFT's tinkering has evidently driven the last nail into the coffin of their own formerly highly regarded Rose soap. Not just that soap, but all of them, since the most recent reformulation.
Gary

I couldn't agree with you more about the Harris Rose cream, a wonderful product. I know I'm a cream guy and have not used soaps for many years now, but is it that important to have a soap version even when the cream delivers the results needed. Perhaps I'm missing something not using soap I don't know...
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

John, you're right, of course. I'm just being a bit obsessive about soaps, I think. I still want one!
Gary

Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

brothers wrote:John, you're right, of course. I'm just being a bit obsessive about soaps, I think. I still want one!

That's the problem with this hobby/interest .....i'll just buy one more :D
John
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

I hope you guys have male children so you can pass on all this massive accumulated paraphernalia. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

drmoss_ca wrote:Klar Kabinett original is vegetable based, but contains stearates. You wouldn't know it wasn't tallow. Excellent in use, and I do like the rose scent. A great buy!

Chris
+1