Looking for Input - Buying 2 or 3 New Soaps

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
jww
Woolly Bully

Looking for Input - Buying 2 or 3 New Soaps

Post by jww »

Gents,

Realizing that I am opening a door that will lead us down a path where some of us may not want to go -- but I admit that AD has set in lately. I am down to only a few soaps - with plenty of MWF still to spare, I am looking at expanding my line a bit, and am going to order up 3 new soaps in the next week or two.

So -- I am looking for suggestions - if you were buying 3 new soaps, what would they be and why? Budget or high-end suggestions are welcome (e.g. I have been thinking of Irisch Moos lateley, as well as GFT Rose).

Here is what I currently have in my soap stock - so we don't get duplication of what I already have on hand:
MWF
C&E Sienna
Palmolive classic stick
D.R. Harris Lavendar stick
D.R. Harris Arlington stick
Proraso green tub

Enjoy responding, I am looking forward to your replies.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Gold Dachs, Haslinger would be two of my suggestions.
Good shaving,

Gary
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Thanks.

I forgot to mention -- I am a pure tallow guy -- cold pour soaps have never worked for me, so please keep your suggestions to non-could pour soaps if you can.
Wendell

paddy

Post by paddy »

cella
valobra
l'occitane cade
la toja
Remember: this is all just wasted time and lives talking nonsense to strangers about pieces of metal, hair and chemical compounds.
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

Wendell-

My recommendation is for Queen Charlotte Soaps.
Excellent scent, fine lather, reasonable price.

http://www.queencharlottesoaps.com/ind ... x&cPath=15

Tallow and Palm oil.

Good luck,
MaxP
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

Speick
Tabac
Arko
Wilkinson Sword stick

These are the soaps I've found to be best - all tallow heavy, in stick form, and relatively cheap to dirt cheap, depending where in the world you are.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
druphus

Post by druphus »

Well GFT Rose is one of my standards along with AOS Sandalwood (which can be found at reduced prices). These would be my recommendation.
Regards,
Andy
Janus

Post by Janus »

You really ought to try one of the Italian soft soaps. Most of them are tallow based, I think. Valobra soft soap is pretty darn good, too, even though it's non-tallow.
Janus
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Wendell, you know that Cella is my favorite so far because it leaves my face feeling the best after the shave.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Wendell, I'm one vote for the Italian soft soaps.

If you check my rankings of them in the review section you'll see that I consider P.160 to be the cream of the crop. They are all really good (Cella, Valobra, Vitos Red, P.160) but P.160 just has more of the good stuff for the skin and it doesn't skimp on performance.

Yes, it has tallow, specifically tallow. Not Sodium Tallowate, but tallow.

If you don't want to buy a kilo I'm pretty certain Italian Barber has 125g containers.

But Vitos and Valobra are really excellent SIS also. (If you don't want to buy a kilo)

If you buy a kilo and don't like it, I doubt you'll have a problem selling it.

Heck, if you can't sell it or don't care to break it up to sell it, I'll buy it from you for what you paid (less shipping) but shipping on my dime to me. I'm that confident that if you like tallow you'll like it. You need to like marzipan too.

I just realized that while tallow is on the ingredient list, it would probably saponify with the KOH to form Ktallowate.

Edit: You were looking for 2-3. If you don't consider me suggesting ALL of the SISs as suggestions (I really only stressed P.160) then I have a few more.

Valobra stick. I mill a few sticks into a bowl, add a teaspoon of water and mash it in ther to make a form fitting puck. The performance is superb. The scent is soap. Of course it can also be used as a stick. I looked at an unopened stick of Valobra and I couldn't decipher the ingredients, but it sure feels like a tallow soap to me. The scent is pure soap to my nose.

The 3rd is Speick. I use it as a stick, and again, mill it into a bowl, but I know there is a cream available if you don't want to mill the sticks. My nose is scent sensitive, and while this has quite a strong scent, I find it pleasant.

Last edited by ShadowsDad on Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
druphus

Post by druphus »

I would also recommend P.160 as the best soft Italian, so I've mentioned three (3) and am out of votes.
Regards,
Andy
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

As already mentioned, Tabac, and I'll add Sir Irisch Moos stick left as is or grated into a puck.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Is there any P.160 left? Agree with Tabac and Speick, and I do think, despite what some say, that Klar Kabinett is in the same class.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I was just on the Fendrihan site and they have the Cella, Tabac, and Irisch Moos -- unfortunately they are out of stock on the Speick at the moment. I must admit I keep on thinking I need a tub of GFT or TOBS, just because.

How would one describe Tabac's scent? I haven't tried it before, and understand that the scent is quite polarizing.

Anyone with experience in Edwin Jagger soaps? The sea buckthorn scent has me quite curious. I had a tube of their sandalwood cream and thought it was excellent. The soap intrigues me.
Wendell

billyboy

Post by billyboy »

If you stick with the designer/brand names: Irisch Moos, Taylor's Avocado, Trumpers Coconut, Klar Kabinett
If you go the artisan route - Mystic Waters, QCS, Kells'
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

drmoss_ca wrote:Is there any P.160 left? Agree with Tabac and Speick, and I do think, despite what some say, that Klar Kabinett is in the same class.

Chris
Yes, Italian Barber has a quantity of it left. The price is climbing as the supply gets less, but it's still not too bad @ $50/kilo. A kilo is a lot of shaving.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
RazorRamone

Post by RazorRamone »

I can only see a few soaps comparing to your love of MWF.

As you already own Harris soaps, I suggest finding some vintage Yardley or Old Spice. Tabac is a good suggestion too; if the tobacco/powder scent is to your liking.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Wendell,

You can't go wrong with the Tabac. I consider it an equal to your fabulous MWF in lathering and performance.

Yes, the scent can be off-putting with it's patchouli heavy scent. Kinda reminds me of the incense I used to burn in my room in college in the 60's. Oh, those were great times.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

MaxP wrote:Wendell-

My recommendation is for Queen Charlotte Soaps.
Excellent scent, fine lather, reasonable price.

http://www.queencharlottesoaps.com/ind ... x&cPath=15

Tallow and Palm oil.

Good luck,
MaxP
Max,

QSS looks very interesting. Any recommendations as to scent for the soaps?
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Wendell,

You can't go wrong with the Tabac.
I think Wendell will enjoy the glass container too...keep up with the wooly stuff :lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum