Best Shaving stick fo travel?

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
celar36

Best Shaving stick fo travel?

Post by celar36 »

Im thinking Arko, Dr. Harris or maybe Palmolive?

How good they are ? Or do u have something better or your mind?

Thanks for input!
Jack
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Not sure why the caveat for "travel". Any shave stick that you like is fine to travel with.

Of the two you list, I prefer Palmolive personally, but also am a big fan of D.R. Harris Arlington and Lavendar sticks. Valbora is also quite good - I kind of categorize it as the MWF of shave sticks. If you are a fan of the scent, Tabac also works well.

I wish more companies did sticks, to be honest. Much smaller and easier to store than soap cakes in dishes.

ymmv.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
LouisIII

Post by LouisIII »

My favourites are Speick, Arko, Tabac (chunky 100 gramme stick, maybe less ideal for travel) and Wilkinson Sword. Most are 50 grammes and will take up about the same amount of space - just pick your favourite. If you can get along with the Palmolive scent (I can't) it's the best choice for you; good performer and if you lose it you're down a whole 50p.
~ Infusing the irreducibly quotidian with sensual pleasure ~
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I don't travel much, but I'd go with the Palmolive or Arko stick. Can't go wrong with either one.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

SPEICK!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Lots of good sticks - Speick, Palmolive, Arko, Tabac. If it is to be especially adapted for travel, then the bulkier but waterproof container of the Tabac would win. This might be why I have one in my travel kit!

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Palmolive for no reason other than it's already in the travel bag.
Regards,
Squire
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

Tabac is it! That is until MWF comes out in a stick, then I would take both.

As Chris said Tabac is easily adaptable for travel. Don't know anything about the others he mentions though. They may also adapt well for travel. The Tabac, just screw off the cap, do your shave thing and put the cap back on. No chance of it leaking, getting the inside of you kit wet and messy and most importantly, no breaking.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Irisch Moos but like already mentioned it has a convenient container. I don't even apply the soap on my face first as most recommend. I follow the process as seen on youtube by Turkish and/or North African barbers. It works for me.
Andy
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

It's Mr. Buzzkill, here to say that after trying lots of shave sticks, I realized I didn't like rubbing a hard piece of soap on my face. It also seemed wrong to change my routine whenever I went out on the road.

So I grated the sticks I liked - Irisch Moos, Arko, and Vallobra especially - into small containers I can take with me. American Crew hair dressing tubs work well: large enough to use a brush in, strong, and light.

Now I use these soaps at home, too, which I never did before grating them.

--Glenn
mikey

Post by mikey »

Here you go:

Thanks,
Mike
brothers

Post by brothers »

Gweezemeister wrote:Irisch Moos but like already mentioned it has a convenient container. I don't even apply the soap on my face first as most recommend. I follow the process as seen on youtube by Turkish and/or North African barbers. It works for me.
Andy
Andy, I like all of the above, but my suggestion was also going to be the Irisch Moos stick. I've got 2, one still in stick form, and one all smooshed down into a handy glass bowl. It's good stuff.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

2clfrwrds wrote:..., I realized I didn't like rubbing a hard piece of soap on my face. It also seemed wrong to change my routine whenever I went out on the road.

I sometimes take the stick directly to my ----- prepped brush, swirl the stick around, then take it to my face. The exact same result for me and keeps things simple -- i.e. no extra containers.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I have only tried two sticks, and the Wilkinson Sword stick that I currently have open appears to be the best bet. Made up a special kit recently and tried it at the health club. The Wilkinson stick is too hard to load up a brush with for bowl lathering, but soft enough to put a sufficient coating on my face. The brush I used, of all things, was an Omega Syntex. It dries fast, and has better backbone for face lathering than my other synthetic, a 23mm TGN.

Face lathering seems to be the way to go for travel, (no bowl) though I prefer bowl lathering.

The only other stick I've tried is Arko. It was softer, and I kept it in an old 200ml Body Shop tub, which I used to load up the brush for bowl lathering.

Once the new LEA stick with tallow and lanolin becomes more readily available, I may try one of those just for the (travel) container, though it sounds like it should make some pretty good lather too.