Cobra Classic vs. Muhle R41 Toothcomb

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
never2close

Post by never2close »

I'm in a quandary. I have enough de blades to last over 30 years. Now I'm seriously considering a Cobra, and yet more blade inventory.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

never2close wrote: Now I'm seriously considering a Cobra
Not to worry........we're here to help...... :twisted:

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

never2close wrote:I'm in a quandary. I have enough de blades to last over 30 years. Now I'm seriously considering a Cobra, and yet more blade inventory.
Do what I did, buy a R41 and use the blades you already have. This baby shaves like a straight with no blood if a good blade is used.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
never2close

Post by never2close »

Nitrox wrote:
never2close wrote:I'm in a quandary. I have enough de blades to last over 30 years. Now I'm seriously considering a Cobra, and yet more blade inventory.
Do what I did, buy a R41 and use the blades you already have. This baby shaves like a straight with no blood if a good blade is used.
I just did. Ordered one from Lee. Talk about being suggestible.....
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

never2close wrote:
We're all suggestible. :wink:
You made a good purchase, just don't be afraid of it. It took me a couple of shaves to get the hang of it, and it was a little scary at first. Now I can't wait to use that razor.
The good thing is that it's not a very expensive razor, that's what I liked about it.
Bruno

brothers

Post by brothers »

Now that the Cobra Classic is in the drawer with the others, it'll be a nice, very welcome, change of pace. One tends to ask himself, as some of you have already stated, will this be such a rousing success that I would eventually give up all the others? Or is it another that will someday be considered not my cup of tea? I think I went through that thought process with the Muhle R41 Toothcomb right before I discovered it was clearly never going to be one of my personal favorites. Hopefully, I'll pace myself with the Cobra, trying to remain objective until long after the new's worn off.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
ltjaw

Post by ltjaw »

Let us know how it goes, Gary.
Andrew
never2close

Post by never2close »

Nitrox wrote:
never2close wrote:
We're all suggestible. :wink:
You made a good purchase, just don't be afraid of it. It took me a couple of shaves to get the hang of it, and it was a little scary at first. Now I can't wait to use that razor.
The good thing is that it's not a very expensive razor, that's what I liked about it.
I used the R41 for the first time this morning. Excellent suggestion Nitrox. Very close, very comfortable shave with a Personna Hospital Use blade.
brothers

Post by brothers »

Only five shaves in, after using the Cobra in rotation with a number of DE and SRs, I'm not quite ready to hit the "RAVE" button. I think I should at least work my way through one Feather Pro blade and one Kai Mild blade first. That's where I'm at.

I have gone back and read a large number of posts here on SMF about the Cobra, and I will state, based on my personal experiences with the Cobra so far, that I tend to agree with all of the positive statements that have been made by others about the Cobra, but I will concede that the only slight inconvenience is the removal of the blade after the shave. (I take my blades out and rinse them off and let them dry before the next shave.)

This thread started out as a request for comparisons between the Cobra and the Muhle Toothcomb R41. Looking back it appears I unwittingly posted three (3) separate threads on the same subject. I have used the Muhle and sold it with no regrets, other than the discomfort it caused my face during that ordeal.

Having said all of the above, in my experience, I respectfully and very sincerely am of the opinion that the Muhle R41 razor is definitely not my cup of tea, never has been, and never will be. It's so far below the Cobra in qualilty of performance that there is no comparison. They're in different leagues. I won't be posting any more threads proposing a comparison between the two razors.

Thanks to those who encouraged me to buy the Cobra, and thanks to Classic Shaving for being able to restock them promptly.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
brothers

Post by brothers »

Today marks shave #7 over a period of three weeks with the Cobra loaded with Feather Pro blade #1. Because it was Saturday morning after sleeping a bit later than usual, I took my time and this is as fine a shave as I've ever had, honestly. I'm still just enjoying comparing all of my favorite razors, straight, double edge, and single, in an established rotation.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

The Feather Pro blade in shave #8 didn't perform as perfectly as it did for #7. I'll take 8. Not bad. I'm not into pushing a blade beyond the sweet spot, so it's time to change to the Kai blade.

I've got a couple of DE razors that seem to consistently deliver the specific quality of shave that I like. My interest in the Cobra right now is to see if the Cobra is also able to deliver the shave I prefer as often as these DEs do.

I also need to give a good deal of credit for my recent excellent shaves to Dr Selby concentrated shaving cream.
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Regarding the Cobra Classic: today was shave #1 with the Kai Captain Titan Mild blade. The Feather Pro made it through 8 shaves, #7 of which was close to perfect. Well, shave #1 with the Kai blade was also close to perfect.

The Feather's initial shaves felt a bit raw and wild, smoothing out around shave #3. Kai was smooth and sharp right out of the box. Makes me wonder how they will compare to each other as time goes along.

I've made another observation about the Cobra. Two passes and I'm pretty much finished, and with a very close and smooth shave. I'm not hurrying, but the shave just ends sooner than with a SR or a DE. Pretty cool!
Gary

fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

The Feather's initial shaves felt a bit raw and wild, smoothing out around shave #3
Why do you guys do this??? If the blade is harsh after the first stroke, trash the %#&^ things

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

fallingwickets wrote:
The Feather's initial shaves felt a bit raw and wild, smoothing out around shave #3
Why do you guys do this??? If the blade is harsh after the first stroke, trash the %#&^ things

clive
That's what I've been doing. If it's harsh in the beginning, it's no use trying to hope it will get better.
Bruno

brothers

Post by brothers »

Shave #7 was one of the best ever. I think the blade starts out almost too sharp, if that makes any sense. As I pointed out, the first shave with the Kai was on a par with the 7th with the Feather Pro. You guys shouldn't judge everyone by my experience. I'm really not worthy. I'm just putzing around with something that's of interest to me, not trying to recruit any followers or anything. :lol:
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Today was shave #2 with the Kai Captain Mild blade. Excellent results.
Gary

Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Is the Muhle R41 like the Merkur slant bar?
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Sam wrote:Is the Muhle R41 like the Merkur slant bar?
Sam, they are different style of razors, although the R41 is way more aggressive than the slant bar. You can really feel the blade on the 41, almost like a straight razor if you will. You can't really push too hard on the 41 or it will definitely nick very easily. Light pressure is what I use or it can get scary.
Bruno

ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

+1 what Bruno wrote.

The R41 requires perfect technique and no daydreaming. I have no idea what the slant is like.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

The basic blade angle is an important factor to keep in mind while using the R41
Gary