Proraso Sandalwood & Shea Butter

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
petr

Post by petr »

yes, yes, keep the detailed reviews coming.
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Please see my mini review in SOTD today.

Admitedly I have only shaved with this cream once so may need to try a different brush to evaluate further. Although clearly this will not alter the scent, which I'm not sure about whether I like it or not. Now my brush has had time to dry out since this morning, there is still a pungent aroma comng from it, but I'm still not sure if I like it, hey it may grow on me.

Performance wise its very on par with the green version and I am looking forward to using it again.

Like all things in life I'm not sure this will suit everyone, but would be interested in hearing other views, if anyone has now purchased a tube.

All the best
John
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

John does the scent linger on you?
Regards,
Squire
Steve

Post by Steve »

John,

I didn't see your review in SOTD? I used the old Proraso a few days ago and the scent lingered in the brush for 3 days so it might be a trait of the cream.

When will we see the review?

Steve
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Squire wrote:John does the scent linger on you?
Squire

Difficult to say as I used A/S not long after finishing up, but I will go without next time and report back.
John
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Steve wrote:John,

I didn't see your review in SOTD? I used the old Proraso a few days ago and the scent lingered in the brush for 3 days so it might be a trait of the cream.

When will we see the review?

Steve
Steve

I used the cream in my SOTD in todays threads, so it will be recent, however its only a few lines about what i believe the performance to be.

Your right about the Proraso scent lingering for a few days and I concur, so I would imagine this new version to be similar. I stated in the SOTD thread that I didn't think it smells much like Sandlewood (as I know it) but it is a deep penetrating scent. We shall see about the longevity the next time I use it.
John
Steve

Post by Steve »

John,

I found your review. I didn't realize it would be at the end of all the SOTD posts. If it smells good, the lingering scent if a good thing in my opinion. Most sandalwood scents don't smell like real sandalwood but are still good scents.

Steve
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Steve wrote:John,

I found your review. I didn't realize it would be at the end of all the SOTD posts. If it smells good, the lingering scent if a good thing in my opinion. Most sandalwood scents don't smell like real sandalwood but are still good scents.

Steve
Steve

Yes your right, I don't think it smells of Sandlewood, especially if you compare with say TOBS or Harris aftershave. However, it does smell ok and is very deep as I mentioned before.

Squire asked whether the scent lingers on myself and as I have used it again today without any aftershave, yes my wife says she can still smell it 3 hours on from my shave and Im sure it will go bit longer yet.

Also I used a stiffer brush today and the lather is out of this world, very in keeping with it's Eucalyptus predecessor.

I like it and will keep it in my rotation.
John
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thanks guys for the reviews.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Janus

Post by Janus »

First shave with this product today and I did notice a slight cooling effect during the shave. With the cold water splash after the shave it became even more evident. I also thought I could detect maybe a little euclyptus in the scent mixed with what I suppose could be sandalwood. This is strange - or is it just me?
Janus
Jonnieboy61

Post by Jonnieboy61 »

Janus wrote:First shave with this product today and I did notice a slight cooling effect during the shave. With the cold water splash after the shave it became even more evident. I also thought I could detect maybe a little euclyptus in the scent mixed with what I suppose could be sandalwood. This is strange - or is it just me?
Janus

No your not alone on this one, I thought it a strange combo when I first used it and couldn't clearly describe the scent, but I think your right.

Having said that, I used it again today and it's really starting to grow on me.
John
Janus

Post by Janus »

Second shave today strengthened my initial impressions. The cooling effect is definitely there, not very strong but noticeable. It does not bother me, though, and the cream performs well enough. Scent is the odd factor here, reminds me of Vulfix sandalwood cream with a little something added to it, and not necessarily in a good way.
Janus
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I would try this cream, traditional Proraso is good stuff, but I would find the 'cooling' effect off putting.
Regards,
Squire
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Always nice to see a new product come to our small market, and I do like Proraso.

I'll definitely be adding this to my next cream/soap order.

Gareth
druphus

Post by druphus »

I used this Cream for the first time this morning and can now report that it is very good stuff, especially in light of the fact that it costs $10 a tube (those great old metal tubes)!

As advertised this cream is “emollient e nutrient”, i.e. emollient and nutritious. An apt way to describe the lather this cream produces would be emollient. Perhaps as a result of the “sandalwood oil” and Shea Butter. The lather is very creamy and does not burst into the bubbly lather you get with the Green cream. Despite, or perhaps as a result of this creaminess, the lather is both slick and cushiony. It takes a real effort to wash off you face – which is my preferred method after a shave.

The scent is definitely “sandalwood”. This scent, however, is very much muted, with only the basenote of sandalwood, very little middle notes, and no top notes - like the smell of TOBS Sandalwood Aftershave by Noon. It’s as if the sandalwood was added to mask the rather musty smell of the Shea Butter.

This cream contains neither Eucalyptus nor Menthol (See scan of the Ingredient list following).

This cream is unlike either the Green or the old Red Cream, but shaves very well. It is hard for me to imagine that anyone would find it objectionable unless the creaminess of the lather is not to one’s liking.
Regards,
Andy
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

It's a very hard scent to describe for sure. After my shave with it I squeezed the lather out of the brush and smelled it. I can only describe a clean, earthy, kind of complex scent with just a hint of Sandalwood way down in there. It performs like a champion. Easier to lather than the soap. Doesn't get to the bubbly lather point at all. Thick lather and SLICK. That's as good as I can describe it. If you like Proraso or just don't like eucalyptus or menthol but have wanted to try Proraso try it it's a good cream.
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!
imurhuckleberry

Post by imurhuckleberry »

I recently made this purchase after looking over the reviews. I found that it mixed very well and the scent reminded me of a cross between AOS Sandalwood and DR Harris Marlborough. I was able to pick up on the scent first thing and found that it lathered very well. I did not notice any cooling effect but for the price compared to thirty to forty dollars for others I though this purchase was excellent and will be returning for more.
"I have two guns, one for each of ya."
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

Been using this for a week now and I love it. Great scent, reminds me a bit of the old Proraso red, and works really well. I just wish they made it in the soft soap type.
Richard
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

I ordered a Proraso Sandalwood cream from Fendrihan's and it arrived today. I smelled it, and the scent seems quite nice. I'll try a shave with it either tomorrow or some other day this week.
JEFF
sunflake

Post by sunflake »

rustyblade wrote: I just wish they made it in the soft soap type.
I did send Proraso a email and it sounded like there was going to be a soap in the very near future. So good news! :D
My name is Patrick and I'm Proraso addict and love it!