Well, crap.

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Reverend Jim

Well, crap.

Post by Reverend Jim »

I broke my EJ86 again last night. I swear I did not over-tighten it! I like it snug because I have had nasty results on my face when one comes loose. The last time Edwin Jager sent me a new top section and I was happy. It is the cheap pot metal screw that is breaking. I will not buy another one or even send off for a replacement. Maybe a Tech if I can find one or spring for a Feather SS.

Are the Merkurs the same soft metal?

OK, I got it off my chest and I feel better now. :D
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.
celar36

Post by celar36 »

I will go with Feather AS-D1 the quality is amazing. If u want Tech I might have a spare new one coming to me. Just PM me. But If I were you I would buy feather a one :D
Jack
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Yes. Feather AS hands down. Ends RAD for some.

Max
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

I highly recommend a vintage Gillette Slim. Built like a Ford F150. Tuff and will last forever. Plus it gives great shaves. IMHO, you can't go wrong. Nothing to break off. Please consider one of the Gillettes!!

Take care,
Ed
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

Dittos the Slim, you can dial it in to Tech mild or whatever else you may want. It'll last a lifetime and it's inexpensive.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

The slim is a wonderful well built tool. I particularly enjoy the G3 Aristocrat from 1961. Great DE razors.

Max
ateace

Post by ateace »

You could go with a Lord head. Their current Merkur-style heads are very nice. Yes, the are made of the same pot metal that your EJ was made of, but the price is right. The finish isn't stellar, but the shaves balance that out.

These heads come on the L6, LP1822 and Smart models.

Heck, you could even buy two and not be out much coin.
gsgo

Re: Well, crap.

Post by gsgo »

Reverend Jim wrote:
Are the Merkurs the same soft metal?
I don't think so and I have not heard of to many failures with the Merkurs. But as we all know s&*t happens.
Good shaving,

Gary
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I haven't heard of failures either, but it's still plated pot metal.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square