Lords Cologne

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
churchilllafemme

Lords Cologne

Post by churchilllafemme »

I just got this vintage bottle of Penhaligon's Lords cologne, to go with the shaving creams I bought previously. I'm really looking forward to trying it, since I love the cream.
_______
John
EL Alamein

Post by EL Alamein »

How vintage do you estimate? Meaning what year do you think it was produced?

Chris
churchilllafemme

EL Alamein wrote:How vintage do you estimate? Meaning what year do you think it was produced?

Chris
It was made sometime between 1985, when it was introduced, and 2004, when the name was changed to Douro.
_______
John
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

John, Probably in the second half of the '80s as HRH The Prince of Wales conferred a Royal Warrant on Penhaligon's in, I think around 1988 but sometimes there is a little time lag before the labeling catches up. Prince Philip's Warrant is much older, going back to the 1950s. So, 1985-1990 more or less. Also, notice how the bows look more hand tied than they do now....they really still were at that point. I still have about a half bottle of Lords at the old house....if I ever get back in there, and if it hasn't been trashed by my ex-wife. It's a superlative gentleman's cologne I think but is a little too dressy for me to wear as a day-to-day scent in this climate. I also always found it to have great staying power, without being obnoxious about it. One elderly gent once told me that Lords really was very much like Penhaligon's original Douro Eau de Portugal from way back when.
Regards,
Gordon
churchilllafemme

Gordon, thanks for the information. As you're probably aware, I'm quite partial to the older, classic stuff, so I'm happy that this cologne is from that long ago. I haven't worn it yet, but it certainly smells great in the bottle, just like the shaving cream but a little richer. I'm looking forward to trying it. I suspect it will end up being a fall/winter choice for me.
_______
John
Persius

Post by Persius »

SWMBO told me that scents only last about 2 years. I guess that this cannot be true. Anyone have any more information about longevity of scent? This matters (to me) as I hold off getting any more EdT (I have BB & 1870) for fear that it might deteriorate before I get a chance to use it. I do worry that this might simply unleash another AD ...
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

Here comes the AD! I have a number of colognes that are 5 to 10 years old and they still smell like the day I bought them.

Recently, I bought a couple bottles of Yardley Black Label from the seventies and they still smell as new too.

Just keep the colognes in a cool dark place and they'll be fine.

Regards,
Rick
Persius

Post by Persius »

gruffydd3 wrote:Here comes the AD!

Just keep the colognes in a cool dark place and they'll be fine.
Bother.