MICROWAVES AND SCUTTLES

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
marsos52

MICROWAVES AND SCUTTLES

Post by marsos52 »

i been using a scuttle for some time now, and totally enjoy its benefit of having warm lather thru-out my shave.

i just left the tap water get hot from the bathroom sink and fill the scuttle and as is well.

last week i decided to get the scuttle and water hot via my microwave in the kitchen.

i set it for 2 minutes on high, the water and scuttle got nice and hot and with the help of a pot holder procided to the bathroom.

herr is my findings:

first i used MWF and my rooney emillion, the lather was much thicker than ever using the same amount of soap and water to build my lather.

keep in mind i always get MWf lather to be thick and creamy but this time was even more so.

the first brush stroke to my face. wow its so warm, no its hot. only lasted a couple seconds and quickly cooled down. to about the same temp im used to when i just use hot tap water.

now for my second lathering, basically the same as the first.
and for the third lathering, just a nice warm lather

kinda dissapointed, with the water much hotter than i normally use i thought the effect would surpass just hot tap water.

a couple day go by and i thought i would try again,

same results exactly as the first my first try

i really didint like the lather being much more thick. eway to much cushion for me. MWF already has enough of that.

and the hotter water and scuttle wasnt lasting enough for the effort and didnt add to the enjoyment either.

i know i have read of others using the microwave to warm there scuttle and water.

would like to hear your findings and thoughts etc etc

thanks
marc
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

its that crappy nj water Marc.....it just isnt conducive to heat! haha

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
brothers

Post by brothers »

Due to a change to significantly larger brushes, I've had to move away from using my little scuttle on a daily basis, and now I just sit the brushes on the counter between passes. I enjoyed the warmth of the brush when I was using the scuttle with hot tap water. I have also experienced the effect of a scuttle that was too hot causing the lather in the brush to dissipate.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

marc I have tried various methods, hot tap, kettle, hot pot . . . my best results have been with a microwave.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

interesting to see these difference findings

i hope for more comments on this subject

just maybe its the jersey wooder we have haha

marc
drmoss_ca
Admin

Post by drmoss_ca »

Don't know about yours, but the first cream scuttle was not intended to be microwaved. Hot water from the tap will do it.

Chris
"Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothèse."
Pierre-Simon de Laplace
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I should add I haven't used a shuttle and may have given the impression I have and put it in a microwave. What I have done is microwave a large cup of water and let the brush soak while showering. Making a lather with cream and the hot cup/brush would create a lather that stayed warm.

My point being the microwave did a better job of heating the water than the other methods I tried.
Regards,
Squire
LookingGlass

Post by LookingGlass »

My tap water is at 148 degrees. I find this hot enough to meet my needs.

Take care,
Ed
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

The tap is good enough for me. There have been occasions when I catch the water heater in a heating cycle and so I will microwave water in a Pyrex measuring cup for a minute and a half. It is a little tricky in that you don't want to get the water too hot--just a bit more than the tap temp. I don't know if the microwave is good for the scuttle pottery, and I can see how hot the water is before pouring it into the scuttle.
Ron
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Tap works here as well. I have an tankless in-line water heater -- and have it set at an optimum temperature for shaving, showering, and brush heating. :D
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
slantman

Post by slantman »

When I use a scuttle I heat the water in a microwave no more then one minute. Two minutes on high is near boiling way too hot.
river1

Post by river1 »

It depends upon the size of the scuttle and I microwave everymorning. One minute for the smaller scuttle and two for the larger including the brush and soap holder water. I just pour the soap holder water into a separate Merkur Futur bowl and rest my razor in the warm water. It takes awhile and a waste of water for my sink to heat up so the microwave trick is more efficient.
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I guess my hot water tank thermostat is set somewhat low, for safety. So I microwave the water, 60 seconds for a small scuttle and 90 seconds for one with a large reservoir. They come out Goldilocks right.
_______
John