ShopLondon/London Bathecarry

This forum can be used by individuals who wish to post links or reviews about wet shaving merchandisers. It can also be used by businesses who wish to promote their goods or post special offers!
Thalay Sagar

ShopLondon/London Bathecarry

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Two disappointing bits of news regarding this vendor. First, the company has discontinued carrying DR Harris products. Not a huge problem as so many excellent vendors carry Harris, but convenient as I could go check the stuff out. Oh well.

Second- and worse for those who have visited the retail store or had hoped to- ShopLondons has drastically reduced its inventory of men's requisites in the retail store. The company had previously had a large retail space with all the products on display and available for inspection/sampling. The store has now been relocated to a new shopping center (to be fair a much better location) with a space that is on twelfth the size of the previous space, so display space is obviously limited. When I was there Tuesday the shaving goods were exceptionally notable by their absence. Oh, they had C&M, Bronnley, Jack Black and C&E to go along with a couple of items from Trumpers, but no T&H, TOBS etc. When I asked if they planned on displaying any of these other lines I was told "Sorry, it's unlikely, but that the items were available online." Not very encouraging. As a supporter of brick and mortar retailers I enjoyed shopping there even if the prices were a bit high. But now I will no longer go out of my way to give ShopLondons my money. I guess another one goes away.... Please excuse my disappointed rant.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

At least they'll keep the online store but there is no substitute for hands on when shopping for a untried product.
Regards,
Squire
M6Classic
Location: Not as near Colonial Drug as when they were at Harvard Square, but near enough.

Post by M6Classic »

Come visit us in Cambridge, we have the opposite issue. No on-line shopping at Colonial Drug, but you never know what marvel you'll find when you stroll into this little gem of a shop. Wherever we are...Massachusetts, Virginia, Jermyn Street...we should consider ourselves fortunate indeed to have a real shop nearby that features fine shaving goods OTC.

Buzz
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Buzz, I don't have the opportunity to get up to your neck of the woods anymore but next time I do you better believe that I will be hitting Colonial Drug. I envy you that.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
John Parker

Post by John Parker »

Sad news! Was hoping to visit London Bathecary late summer with the specific intent of sniffing D.R. Harris shaving soaps! Will be close. Unfortunately will be no where near Massachusetts. Rats!
brothers

Post by brothers »

Thalay Sagar wrote:Buzz, I don't have the opportunity to get up to your neck of the woods anymore but next time I do you better believe that I will be hitting Colonial Drug. I envy you that.
Same here. It's very long odds that I'll ever get to visit, but at least I can call!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Chris, What a drag for anyone in that general locale. That shop was one of the VERY few of interest outside the NYC/Boston area. That shop in Knoxville, Tenn. was another that went bye-bye a few years back. Even though I can order anything that I have much interest in using online, still, I miss my once yearly, or twice yearly, trips to NYC to browse Cambridge Chemists and the other similiar shops. Don't think I'll be getting back there anytime soon, and I agree with Squire, there's nothing like the in-person experiance. I am shooting for London ( finally ) next year some time.
Regards,
Gordon
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Which store did you go to? The one on Barracks Road or the original (moved) one that is downtown by the outdoor mall on Water Street? I know Barracks Road is much smaller but the downtown location I thought was HUGE.

I was in Williamburg a few months ago for a conference and drove around looking for that location but could not find it, if you have been to Williamsburg, you will know how funky the streets are. On the last day, I walked out of my hotel and found that it was right next door....Jeez..
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Art, the shop on Water street is closed. What a great it was to visit. I guess it was servig as a storefront/warehouse/shipping location. For whatever economic reason, the company opted to move to Barracks and open a seperate warehouse further up the road. However, the warehouse is not open to the public. Since you've been to the Williamsburg store, you've pretty much been to the new C'ville store (it is a little bigger.) :roll:
Best,
Chris

vtmax

Post by vtmax »

Gordon in London will be a treat. I was over in February I want to be on that trip with him. It really is our Holy Grail in some ways.

Max