Creed Irish Green Tweed

What kind of fragrances do you prefer?
m3m0ryleak

Creed Irish Green Tweed

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Anyone here fortunate enough to be using it?. I had a bath soap sample from QCS that was modeled after that scent and liked it immediately. I do not like the price though. :shock:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
IsaacRN

Post by IsaacRN »

It is definitely a classic scent. Regardless of the price, and the many different knock-offs, I will always own this one.
numcks

Post by numcks »

Davidoff Cool Water is very similar to my nose and a lot cheaper.
Cheers,
Mike
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

I have some of the Creed GIT aftershave balm, which I and my wife both like a lot. I picked it up on eBay for a low price. I've also tried a small sample of the GIT EdT, which was very nice. I'm certainly not sure I would pay full price for these products.
_______
John
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I have it. Wife still likes it the best of all the Creeds I sample or wear, and number two is Millisime Imperial. Basenotes is a place where you can get it second hand. Fragrancenet is where I got my last bottle, and then there is seller Allshewants on Ebay. Prices are up now - used to be that $90 was what it took to get a 4.0 ounce tester, now it is up to about $120 or so for a tester.
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Try Davidoff Cool Water before thinking about buying Creed Green Irish Tweed.

To 90% of the population they smell the same.

There will be a number of people out there who will be able to tell you what they think are the minor differences between them and there are a handful who will try to convince you that they are worlds apart.

I'm not sure if this helps but Luca Turin in his book rates Cool Water very highly.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Tony this is definitely in the try before you buy category. You read a lot of favorable stuff about Creed GIT, and Cool Water for that matter, but neither work for me.
Regards,
Squire
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Gentlemen, thanks for all the input. In my youth, I used Davidoff Cool Water a great deal. However, the memory of it does not square with the scent from the QCS bath soap. I will e-mail Matt at Queen Charlotte for some details. If nothing else, there's another bath soap I need to buy. :roll:
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

FWIW, I agree with Dave; GIT reminds me of Cool Water and a number of other dept. store scents that personally I strongly dislike. When I tried GIT it took me two days of repeated washings to get rid of the scent...which I desperately wanted to be gone. At the outrageous prices that Creed charge, a sample is always a good idea before you decide to buy.
Regards,
Gordon
river1

Post by river1 »

The MI and Himilaya are my favorites. I wet my hand before applying Original Vetiver as it is stronger with my personal chemistry for some reason
Nothing will be accomplished if first all objections must be overcome...
druphus

Post by druphus »

I have it and use it maybe once a month, which means that the used 4oz bottle I purchased on this forum should last for the rest of my lifetime.
Regards,
Andy
Bargepole
Beam me up Scotty

Post by Bargepole »

Well spotted... Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water were composed by the same guy and they share a sort of family likeness. Personally I prefer the daddy, Green Irish Tweed, but junior - Cool Water - is pretty well liked too.
Michael

People say it's never too late. How wrong they are. --Felix Dennis
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Michael, Er....and who WAS that 'guy'? We've always been told that Oliver Creed formulates all of their colognes personally...are you saying that this is not the case?...or, conversely, that he accepts commissions to formulate for other companies? Just curious.
Regards,
Gordon
numcks

Post by numcks »

bernards66 wrote:Michael, Er....and who WAS that 'guy'? We've always been told that Oliver Creed formulates all of their colognes personally...are you saying that this is not the case?...or, conversely, that he accepts commissions to formulate for other companies? Just curious.
Regards,
Gordon
Pierre Bourdon composed GIT in 1985. He reprised the same theme in Cool Water in 1988. Another notable and popular creation of his was Kouros in 1981.
Cheers,
Mike
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Mike, Most interesting. I knew that GIT dated from the 1980s ( despite all that balderdash that Creed, or their PR people, put out about King Alfonzo of Spain, Gary Grant, and the rest ) but I'd always assumed that at least it was created by Oliver Creed. But apparently not. For me, most of the men's and 'unisex' scents that Creed does have a certain note in them that I do not like, but the GIT has whatever it is in spades. Again, thanks for this interesting information.
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

bernards66 wrote:...For me, most of the men's and 'unisex' scents that Creed does have a certain note in them that I do not like, but the GIT has whatever it is in spades....
Regards,
Gordon
Perhaps the ambergris?
Actually, this is what I like about many of the Creeds, but ambergris is strange stuff that you either like or don't.
Regards,
Andy
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

I picked up a decent sized decant of GIT recently, and having worn it twice so far, I am far from impressed.

I love Aspen, and Cool Water, and have been wearing both for about six months.

I actually prefer the Aspen, and the Cool Water to the GIT. GIT smells the least complex of the three.

For the price GIT goes for, I would have to say it is extremely over-rated.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Andy, Perhaps. The ambergris, or rather whatever synthetic is now used to approximate it, has been suggested before as the note, perhaps, that I do not like. Dunno for certain. I do know that of the men's or unisex scents that they are still selling commercially Bois du Portugal and Royal English Leather are about the only ones that don't seem to have any of whatever it is and are the only ones that I like....although not enough to buy any more at the prices they charge.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I like the Bois du Portugal but the rest of the line doesn't excite me very much.
Regards,
Squire
Zemlya

Re:

Post by Zemlya »

numcks wrote:Davidoff Cool Water is very similar to my nose and a lot cheaper.
And for a fraction of the price.

Creed fragrances, in my experience, have been underwhelming.