Chillin' the most

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
bbqncigars

Chillin' the most

Post by bbqncigars »

I recently bought some Vostok from Queen Charlotte Soaps in search of the most chilling summertime shave. It was cool, but I wanted more. An Amazon order later, I dissolved seven heaping teaspoons of pure menthol crystals in 50ml of warm propolyene glycol. A teaspoon of that mixture transformed half a tub of Vostok into the shaving equivalent of liquid nitrogen. The menthol fumes coming off my face are almost eye-watering. I'll extend an offer of a few tablespoons of menthol to the first five gents to PM me their snailers. You may be able to just add the crystals to a product, but I wanted to turn the Vostok from a hard cream to something more along the consistency of TOBS creams. Glycerin may also work as a carrier.

Wayne
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Wayne you menthol guys are hard core, I'll give you that.
Regards,
Squire
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

FWIW, there are side effects to using too much menthol. It's an irritant in large concentrations. I'm not telling you what to do, but be aware of that.

I'm trying to remember what the suggested maximum concentration is, and 5% keeps coming to me (so I may be wrong- but it's not a lot). I bet you're way over that.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
brothers

Post by brothers »

Wow Wayne! Sounds like a great experiment. Have you tried adding a shot of the good stuff to proraso cream, kind of like you did to the Vostok? Might be like bolting on a supercharger.

I almost took you up on the offer, but I don't know what I'd do with it, actually. I'm a fan of menthol, but I think it has its place. Just for example, the I Coloniali Softening with Rhubarb has a subtle charge of menthol that seems to kick in at just the right time in the right strength. Not real strong, but just enough to feel it at the end of the shave. It's very nice!
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Squire wrote:Wayne you menthol guys are hard core, I'll give you that.
Kinda like us wool-fat guys, eh? :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

A Woolfat addiction I can understand.
Regards,
Squire
crackstar

Post by crackstar »

The way I see it is like this - the Vostok stuff is so powerfully-mentholated as is, there's no reason to add any more menthol to it. Just my 2 cents.
JEFF
blantyre

Post by blantyre »

I find that Vostock has plenty of menthol as it comes out of the tub. I'm not a big menthol fan but use it on exceptionally hot days (like tomorrow when it's supposed to reach 100 in Chicago). Then I finish off with a dab off 444 balm and some Osage Rub for a really chilling shave.
Rick
bbqncigars

Post by bbqncigars »

I'll state that I am one of those "shave with a claw hammer and WD-30" gents as far as beard and skin go. I really crave the ultimate cool in summertime. Perhaps having lived through heat stroke has something to do with it. Either way, I also added a mix of crystals and the PPG solution to some Noxema in search of a home made supercharged Proraso pre/post. That worked out well. Now I use that as a pre-shave before the enhanced Vostok, and finish with either Tony's Choice AS balm or Vostok AS. A very chilling shave. It's like getting bitch-slapped by snow.

Wayne, trying to stay cool
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i have some experience with menthol crystals. i dilluted them as you did but find a better method is to add 2-3 crystals to my scuttle with a drop of water. on top of that i place the cream and then mix. seems to provide a more consistent means of regulating the menthol. it is powerful stuff for sure.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer