Musgo Real Shave Soap & New MR Creams

What is your opinion on fine shaving creams and hard soaps? Do you like Trumpers, Coates, Taylors, Truefitt & Hill? Post your reviews and opinions here!
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Janus wrote:I'm all for variety, but I sure do hope they don't mess with the classic.
They have assured me that they will not mess with the classic. These are just 5 additional scents.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
brothers

Post by brothers »

The classic fragrance in a well-performing soap sounds like a very good place to start.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Janus

Post by Janus »

BullGoose wrote:
Janus wrote:I'm all for variety, but I sure do hope they don't mess with the classic.
They have assured me that they will not mess with the classic. These are just 5 additional scents.
That's good to know, thanks! I did already order a few backups, just in case.
Janus
jss

Post by jss »

I may finally get to try MR....

Julian
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

Musgo used to be my go to cream some years back when I had very early morning shaves and went brushless most of the time. Lavender interests me and I've always like the metal tubes. This could do well in my travel kit too.
--Greg
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

I love the scent of the shave cream but have trouble using it due to slight irritation. If the soap was non-irritant to my skin, this would work out well.
Richard
rustyblade
Shaving Paparazzo

Post by rustyblade »

BullGoose wrote:Are you sure it is the lanolin? Many people who cannot use Musgo Real can use Mitchel's Wool Fat. Both contain lanolin so I think it may be something in the scent rather than lanolin. Do you have the same reaction with MWF?
Yes, this. I can use MWF but not Musgo.

I would also love if they brought back the original after shave splash without oil in it. I didn't know anyone could make an alcohol based a/s splash heavy and oily feeling like a balm, but the folks at Musgo managed to do it.
Richard
Janus

Post by Janus »

rustyblade wrote:
I would also love if they brought back the original after shave splash without oil in it. I didn't know anyone could make an alcohol based a/s splash heavy and oily feeling like a balm, but the folks at Musgo managed to do it.
I'm no expert but some say it's the aloe vera that makes it so heavy. Whatever it is, I'd like to see the original brought back as well.
Janus
ShadowsDad

Post by ShadowsDad »

I wonder if the skin reaction isn't from the product directly, but from the metal tube that it's in.

Just doin' what I do, thinking outside the box.
Brian

Maker of Kramperts Finest Bay Rum and Frostbite
Or find it here: Italian Barber, West Coast Shaving, Barclay Crocker, The Old Town Shaving Company at Stats, Maggard Razors; Leavitt & Peirce, Harvard Square
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Janus wrote:
rustyblade wrote:
I'm no expert but some say it's the aloe vera that makes it so heavy. Whatever it is, I'd like to see the original brought back as well.
A big +2.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Brian I don't think the metal container would have any effect.
Regards,
Squire
Janus

Post by Janus »

Ok, I received the new creams yesterday (didn't order the soap because I just forgot there was a soap). Shaved with the Oak Moss this morning, some first impressions:
I broke the seal and gave the tube just a little squeeze on the other end and the cream just kept pouring out. Very runny and airy consistency, I could see a lot of tiny bubbles in the cream, not the thick and creamy classic Musgo that I'm used to. Scent is nice and subtle. I don't know what oak moss is supposed to smell like, but this to me is a quite light and 'green' scent. I'm not familiar with Musgo colognes, so I can't make that comparison.
No heavy coloring, in fact it says on the package "natural color of the product without addition of dyes".
The shave was fine, good cushion and glide and the lather remained stable through my usual two pass WTG/ATG shave. No irritation after the shave, either, BUT, to get decent lather, I had to use much more cream. I bowl lathered, started with the usual amount, got a very thin lather and added a little cream a couple of times until I got the thick lather that I was after. I think I may have ended up using three times as much cream as I normally do.
Admittedly, there has always been batch to batch variation with the classic Musgo as well, but this was by far the runniest I have seen.
I broke the seal on the other four flavours also and they seemed the same consistency-wise. I'm no good in describing scents, especially in a foreign language, but they, too, were quite lightly scented, certainly not overbearing, IMO. I liked spiced citrus and lime basil the most, but this may change when I actually use them for shaving, of course.
So there you have it, good enough creams, provided that you use a lot more product than you may be used to. As always, YMMV.
Janus