Coate's Sold!

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Coate's Sold!

Post by english_barber »

Hi all,

Yesterday Charlotte and I sold our shares and resigned as directors of TGS Products Ltd, owner of Coate's.

This opened the door to a major UK investor who is set to start production of Coate's shaving creams at an industrial scale with volumes to match the three T's.

This is probably the best and definitley most exciting outcome for the future of Coate's and will see it become a major UK brand.

As for Charlotte and myself, it was fun, but we both prefer concentrating on The Gentleman's Shop and I'm looking forward to getting back on the barber shop floor.

All the best, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
brothers

Post by brothers »

Congratulations Robert and Charlotte. You did your best, and probably are responsible for having saved the famous brand for future generations of guys who enjoy those products.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
changabang

Post by changabang »

Thanks for your efforts, Robert. You did really well. Let's hope Coates lives on. :D
James Nicks
ateace

Post by ateace »

Good luck with everyting, Robert.

We hope to see Coate's around for a long time.
churchilllafemme

Post by churchilllafemme »

My best to you both, Robert.
_______
John
manickennel

Post by manickennel »

Great to see that the brand has been sold to someone who wants to take it forwards. As has been said, it's through your efforts that the brand lives on at all. Here's hoping that it will continue to be made in England. I'll be buying a spare pot of Tea Tree Cream, just in case :)
Yours smoothly,

Neil
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Congrats and good luck, Robert!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

Congratulations to you both.
Tony

"They say that dreams are growing wild just this side of Burma Shave" - Tom Waits
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Congrats.....I'm sure the coate's fans are already salivating at the idea of getting a new pot of creams

:lol: :lol:

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
Whistler

Post by Whistler »

Best of luck Robert.

From the Coate's web page,

Today sees the departure from Coate’s of Robert & Charlotte Johnston who have resigned as directors and sold their 50% stake to fellow Director Andrew Gidden.

Coate’s no longer has any connection with The Gentleman’s Shop and all enquiries regarding products should be directed to Andrew, ag@redlionfoods.com or Alex, aw@redlionfoods.com

Under Andrew Coate’s will again flourish with a new product range about to be launched imminently.
Regards,
Marty
---------------------------------------------------

"Be still! Me mind is a raging torrent flooded with rivulets of thought cascading in a waterfall of creative alternatives."
SRD

Post by SRD »

Congrats and best wishes.
Dave
2clfrwrds

Post by 2clfrwrds »

Robert, thank you for sharing the news with us directly. You know SMF; we'd have been circulating all kinds of strange rumors if given half a chance.

--Glenn
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

This sounds like a good deal for everyone involved. Good news is rare now in our shaving World.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Robert, I'm with Squire in that good news has become a relative rarity in my shaving world. Thank you and your wife for all your efforts in regard to Coate's. Hopefully the new owner of the brand is committed to offering a high quality product along the lines of the original version. And I also appreciate you taking the time to share this news with us directly and so promptly. Best of luck in all your concerns.
Regards,
Gordon
english_barber
Robert from the Gentleman's Shop

Post by english_barber »

You are all very kind, thank you.

Unfortunately it was just too much effort for Charlotte and I to run two companies at the same time and although passionate about Coate's the current economic climate and lack of manufacturing experience held us back.

It's great to be back at The Gentleman's Shop full time with the business I so enjoy. That said the new management team drafted in to run Coate's by the investors have offered me a position as consultant, to spend someone else's money reviving original Coate's.

Further good news would have to be a new Castle Forbes shaving cream, but I know no more than that.

Oh and Simpsons shaving cream is now in stock, http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/PBSCProd ... D=10327383

Cheers, Robert
Charlotte & Robert Johnston
www.gentlemans-shop.com
jss

Post by jss »

Robert and Charlotte..Thank you very much....

Best regards,
Julian
brothers

Post by brothers »

english_barber wrote:You are all very kind, thank you. . . . .

Further good news would have to be a new Castle Forbes shaving cream, but I know no more than that. . . . .

Cheers, Robert
I asked a vendor to contact CF to confirm this, and the response from CF was a flat statement that there is no plan to launch a new shaving cream. All this might mean is that even if they ARE going to launch a new product, they don't want to talk about it right now. Someone may have broken a confidence by letting it slip to Robert.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Well, as far as Coates, Gordon would have been glad to move to England to take over manufacturing and European sales, and I would have stayed behind in the States to handle the American sales. Of course, we would have started a Facebook page, tweeted and had all of SMF as followers with the SMF discount, gone on QVC, shaved Matt Lauer on today with a straight razor, maybe something crazy.

So, if Morris and Fondran wants us, I guess we can talk!
brothers

Post by brothers »

You guys were going to hog all the fun jobs :lol:
Gary

brothers

Post by brothers »

Just a casual 2 month bump for a reappearance of Coate's much anticipated product line.
Gary