Truefitt and Hill Chicago Shave & Haircut

Thoughts and input on anything related to wet shaving or men's grooming.
Rambler

Truefitt and Hill Chicago Shave & Haircut

Post by Rambler »

I've been thinking about whether or not to post my experience. I had one barber shave there before, and I wasn't terribly happy about it either. I thought I did a write up about it here, but while searching I couldn't find it. This time I figured I would share my experience.

I received a gift certificate that included two shaves, a haircut, and one of their massages. I was running around the area with errands all day, and decided to give them a call later in the afternoon to see if they could fit me in towards the evening. They could. Great! I had a 5 o'clock appointment for a shave and a haircut. I left my place to head over there around 4 o'clock (stopped by at Merz first to pick up a bar of soap). I was excited about the shave because I had planned on going out cycling early the next morning. I figured I would be feeling better after some nice 'pampering' and a close shave. I was a tad skeptical though based on some others experiences, Manitcs, as well as my own that the shave would that great. Nonetheless, I wasn't about to let a nice gift go unused. I won't go in to great detail as others have stated how great the barber shop itself looks, as well as the steps involved in the shave.

The shave. All the steps were there. Hot towels, oil, warm cream, more hot towels, two pass shave, hot towels, cold towels. I was feeling great. It's very relaxing. This time though the barber was wearing a pair of plastic clear gloves for my shave. I don't know if health codes changed, or if it was his preference. It felt a bit strange. I eyeballed around to see if the other barbers were using them, but I don't think anyone else was getting a shave. Also, I couldn't tell what razor he uses, and the dialogue around the details came up empty.

The haircut. Choppy. I will go see my regular guy to fix it up early next week.

All in all, the shave was relaxing and pampering. It seems about all we can expect nowadays. When I returned home to more closely inspect the work I was not very happy. I intentionally didn't shave that day at the chance I finished up my errands early and could squeeze in a shave. Well, I had slight irritation, but expecting a close shave and no irritation seems like a dream in a barbers chair (it seems unfair to judge my shave against someone attempting it on me their first time). Irritation aside, I had the same stubble I walked in with that day. I actually shaved at around 4-5am the next morning before heading out to WI. One pass brushless shave with Nancy Boy yielded better results albeit I was still feeling a bit of some burn.

I don't know if my expectations are too high. I find it troubling that out of two shaves there both were unsatisfactory. The first shave years back was close, but as I left I was told don't wash your face for at least 24 hours. It was about as close as I shave with DE, but looking in the mirror it was evident why I was given said instructions. This time it was more of a massage/towel treatment with some scraping of my stubble. These are expensive services with a quality namesake attached, and I don't feel it's worth it. I don't know what to do about the extra two services of a shave and massage I have left on the gift certificate. I don't want the gesture to go to waste, so I'll end up going I suppose with an expectation of a pampering treatment instead of a good old fashioned close shave.

I'm hoping to have some dialogue about this experience. I'm unsure if I should share it with the shop, or just let it stand as the norm nowadays. The 'wet shaving trend' is more commonplace than ever before. I see it in ads, magazines, articles, etc. Some great stuff out there to show people other options besides a cartridge and canned stuff. Is the market becoming over exposed? Any thoughts or observations should spark a nice thread here about expectations or experiences. There were more details I could have added, but I can get wordy. I'll answer any questions about the experience.
--Greg
dosco

Re: Truefitt and Hill Chicago Shave & Haircut

Post by dosco »

Thanks for posting.

IME barbering is a hit and miss affair.

The USAF paid for some of my college schooling and I participated in the ROTC program. After settling in at my campus and a few tries I found an older Italian guy who did an excellent job. I stuck with him for 4 years. On active duty I found that many bases had both good barbers and bad barbers, and as I had experienced before some searching was required to find a good barber. After leaving active duty I moved to Phoenix and again had the same type of experience. Then moved to Maryland and the same.

I have even found that some barbers will cut well one day and cut poorly another.

I'm not sure if things were better in "the old days" (probably not) but considering how much a cut (and shave) cost I'd expect consistency and quality. Particularly at a "name brand" place (that presumably charges even more than a hole-in-the-wall barber).
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That's a lot to digest Greg, thanks for posting. These first hand experiences are something we should discuss.

I would speak to the manager and politely (firmly) request he cash in my gift certificate for something useful like shaving cream.
Regards,
Squire
jthomas60506

Post by jthomas60506 »

Thanks, Greg. I live a short drive from Chicago, and I've been contemplating a stop at T & H. I'd agree with Squire that a conversation with the manager is in order.

jt
Rambler

Post by Rambler »

I don't know why I have bad luck with experiences like these. I've had some very nice conversations with Kurt or Kirk (can't recall his name exactly) while in the shop. The services I've had and a rude young man that turned his back to me after I asked him a question while shopping a few months ago have soured this location for me. I have my suspicions as to why my service was less than one should expect from here. I was in and out in around 45-50 minutes. Cleaned up the back of my neck before the haircut with a razor dry (no cream or anything). I could go on.

Plenty of people enjoy it there. They get great reviews. I just can't seem to catch a break. Next time I'm in the area I'll talk to Kirk (the GM I believe) about my experience. It should be soon when I go to fix my haircut. I'll post a follow up here about that conversation.
--Greg