RIP Ernest Borgnine

Feel free to post anything unrelated to wet shaving or men's grooming (I.e. cars, watches, pens, leather goods. You know, the finer things of life).
sgtrecon212

RIP Ernest Borgnine

Post by sgtrecon212 »

Another great has left us. Classy guy, good actor, an icon.
Steve
______
Go Cubbies
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

To be honest -- I didn't realize he was still alive until the buzz a couple of days ago when he passed away. Loved him in everything I saw him in .... but especially enjoyed McHale's Navy -- I had no idea that he was a sailor himself back in the day - and re-enlisted after Pearl Harbour -- great guy - I would even say he was heroic in my book.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
changabang

Post by changabang »

He was one of the reasons "The Wild Bunch" was great, and he played a superb villain in "From Here to Eternity".
James Nicks
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

The only reason I knew he was still alive is because he is a voice on one of my daughters favorite shows, Sponge Bob Square Pants.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

jww wrote:Loved him in everything I saw him in .... but especially enjoyed McHale's Navy
McHale's Navy was awesome! I loved him and Tim Conway in that.
Danny

"Because I prefer the cool, clean sweep of the tempered steel as it glides smoothly--" Cary Grant as he is shaving in a scene from "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House"
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I agree with all the above; he was also great in "Marty" and I believe he got best actor for the role. RIP Ernest.

Regards,
David
Regards,
David
dosco

Post by dosco »

I didn't know he had passed until someone at work mentioned it. I always liked him and his work, although I was surprised about his background and early life when I read the wikipedia page about him.

On a side note, when I lived in Phoenix the manager of one of the machine shops (a gent named Charlie) with whom I did business was close personal friends with Ernest. Charlie's office wall was full of pictures of him with Ernest ... restaurants, rodeos, fishing, etc.
nteeman

Post by nteeman »

Yes, many great things can be said about Ernest Borgnine - as a person as well as an actor. I always enjoyed his work and as a Freemason I always appreciated him as a Brother of our fraternity.

As I read about the many aspects of his life I can only think, well done Brother Borgnine! RIP!
-Neal (DE user since 1998)
I shave therefore I am

kd7kip

Post by kd7kip »

The thing I really liked about EB was that he was an excellent character actor. He wasn't a pretty boy. He wasn't all polished, and primped. He looked like a guy you'd work with, talk to at a tavern or flip-off on the freeway. He was such a common, easy going guy that I think people tended to underestimate his skill as an actor.

He also had a knack for portraying real warmth. You couldn't help but like him. He was in a few poor movies, but he never made a bad one.

RIP EB

-Scott
Dumb as a stump and twice as ugly...